Winter Olympics: Torino 2006

Pongo

darthdarrel said:
OMG! I just saw that the olympics are in Italy this year! GO ITALY!:sohappy: :D

:lol: A little behind on the times, Darrel?

Also: What's with all the disco music in the Parade of Nations?!

imagineer boy

Woah, those ceremonies were... just... weird. It seemed like they were trying to go for "artseyness" but it came across as just bizaar.

Pongo

imagineer boy said:
Woah, those ceremonies were... just... weird. It seemed like they were trying to go for "artseyness" but it came across as just bizaar.

That's usually how it is. But bizarre in a cool way.

sillyspook13

imagineer boy said:
My sister just said it looks like Cirque du Soleil, Tapestry of Nations and DCI (Drum Corps International) had a baby.....:lol:

GenerationX

I always like the Parade of Nations, and I'm glad NBC showed little maps in the corner so my kids could see where the countries were located. I also liked the Cirque du Soleil-esque acrobats and the people who stood in formation, revealing a skier when viewed from above. As usual, the lighting of the cauldron was spectacular.

On the other hand, what was with the Bad Hits of the 70's? And Yoko ... Yoko, spouting gibberish and spitting "peace" every other word? Embarrassing. And North America's representative carrying the special Olympic flag is Susan Sarandon? Surely, we could've found someone more deserving.

pinkrose

GenerationX said:
I always like the Parade of Nations, and I'm glad NBC showed little maps in the corner so my kids could see where the countries were located. I also liked the Cirque du Soleil-esque acrobats and the people who stood in formation, revealing a skier when viewed from above. As usual, the lighting of the cauldron was spectacular.

On the other hand, what was with the Bad Hits of the 70's? And Yoko ... Yoko, spouting gibberish and spitting "peace" every other word? Embarrassing. And North America's representative carrying the special Olympic flag is Susan Sarandon? Surely, we could've found someone more deserving.
And she was the only one who was looking all around as she walked. The others had that "certain walk", and looked straight ahead. Not Susan. She was walking all non-ceremonial, and looking everywhere but in front.

Uponastar

I missed the Parade of Nations, but since Susan Sarandon (I'm sorry, you did say Susan Sarandon, didn't you?!) was a representative, I'm glad I missed that part. Aside from that, most of what I did see was awesome!

P.S. - Thanks Danny, for starting this thread, it should be interesting to watch it grow! (Nice avatar!)

dandaman

Original Poster
Number_6 said:
No, you didn't miss them. The idiots on NBC have decided to show some stuff from training runs first, then some interviews... they have the Opening Ceremonies on tape, so they don't really have to go by someone else's schedule. They'll probably start the actual Ceremonies at around 9PM.

Something kinda funny about the Ceremonies having already happened: The weatherperson for WESH, Orlando's NBC affiliate, decided to give a "forecast" for tonights opening ceremonies during the pre-Olympic show about 15 minutes before they went to NBC's national broadcast of the Olympics. Nice... a forecast for something that has already happened... :rolleyes:

Even our local radio station says that NBC's coverage is the worst, and CBC is a million times better (I'm not one to argue in this case). :brick:

CBC already showed two encores of the Opening Ceremonies last night before NBC even started broadcasting it. :rolleyes:

dandaman

Original Poster
Uponastar said:
I missed the Parade of Nations, but since Susan Sarandon (I'm sorry, you did say Susan Sarandon, didn't you?!) was a representative, I'm glad I missed that part. Aside from that, most of what I did see was awesome!

P.S. - Thanks Danny, for starting this thread, it should be interesting to watch it grow! (Nice avatar!)

Just be glad you missed Yoko. :lol:

P.S. - Thanks for thanking me! I meant to start it the night earlier. I was surprised that no one else had before yesterday late afternoon...

P.S.S. Watching the Downhill Skiing right now, I think... or Nordic Skiing. Either way, it's live :lol:

P.S.S.S. :)lookaroun) The Canadian women's hockey team plays Italy at 2:30! (i.e. god-knows-when on NBC :rolleyes: )

Captain Hank

sillyspook13 said:
My sister just said it looks like Cirque du Soleil, Tapestry of Nations and DCI (Drum Corps International) had a baby.....:lol:
:D Yeah, that about sums it up. I really liked the human dove thing, the giant skier made out of people and the way they lit the torch. Not so much with the scary dancer guy with the mohawk and the heart on the outside of his costume, Yoko, or the women with the enormous hair during the Renaissance period section. Susan Sorandon was disturbing. Pavarati singing Nessum Dorma was a really nice touch at the end, though.

dandaman

Original Poster
Captain Hank said:
:D Yeah, that about sums it up. I really liked the human dove thing, the giant skier made out of people and the way they lit the torch. Not so much with the scary dancer guy with the mohawk and the heart on the outside of his costume, Yoko, or the women with the enormous hair during the Renaissance period section. Susan Sorandon was disturbing. Pavarati singing Nessum Dorma was a really nice touch at the end, though.

"Messed up but mesmerizing" might sum it up a little better. :lol:

Captain Hank

dandaman said:
"Messed up but mesmerizing" might sum it up a little better. :lol:
Ah, that works! Hey, do you know if they're releasing any commemorative albums for these games? I've gotten the CD's for the last several, but I haven't seen any offered for Torino.

Uponastar

dandaman said:
Just be glad you missed Yoko. :lol:

P.S. - Thanks for thanking me! I meant to start it the night earlier. I was surprised that no one else had before yesterday late afternoon...

P.S.S. Watching the Downhill Skiing right now, I think... or Nordic Skiing. Either way, it's live :lol:

P.S.S.S. :)lookaroun) The Canadian women's hockey team plays Italy at 2:30! (i.e. god-knows-when on NBC :rolleyes: )

I hereby crown you, Danny, King of the P.S.ers! :king:

dandaman

Original Poster
Captain Hank said:
Ah, that works! Hey, do you know if they're releasing any commemorative albums for these games? I've gotten the CD's for the last several, but I haven't seen any offered for Torino.

No idea. Sorry.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom