So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 15: Uniting Universal (Official Hub Thread)

Suchomimus

I can neither confirm nor deny :rolleyes:
200.gif

spacemt354

Chili's
I'm with Red on this one. For UniMK, either NY or old timey Hollywood better fits this park's tone and setting. And it's further in style from the Victorian London entry land which we're planning on for UniSea.
Kidding aside with the prior Paris Uni project -- I'm all for it. Was never really tied down on Paris. Only due to the Les Mis concept. I think NY or Hollywood would make a great introduction.

D Hulk

Kidding aside with the prior Paris Uni project -- I'm all for it. Was never really tied down on Paris. Only due to the Les Mis concept. I think NY or Hollywood would make a great introduction.
UniSea's London entry is a good setting for a large, Broadway-quality theater venue. That could host Les Mis, and switch out for other productions as tastes demand.

Poe Dameron

Hmm - good question! I'll have to think about it. For the time being, I have it placed behind the theme park and Jurassic World. I was thinking a tropical jungle themed water park might go well and mesh the whole area together.

Here's a rough sketch of the resort layout - with question marks around Uni SEA as well as the surrounding waterways as that layout as not been done yet.
5988254726357765056%253Faccount_id%253D9
I think you're on the right track putting it behind the park and mixed with a jungle themed water park. Doesn't have to follow the movie completely and having the hotel behind the land lends to a more exclusive view of Jurassic World rather than the surrounding lands in the center of the park.

spacemt354

Chili's
I think you're on the right track putting it behind the park and mixed with a jungle themed water park. Doesn't have to follow the movie completely and having the hotel behind the land lends to a more exclusive view of Jurassic World rather than the surrounding lands in the center of the park.
A question to you (and to everyone in general) -- do we actually want the Hilton Isla Nublar?

Universal tends to have outside companies (Loews) in their resorts....so it would not be out of the norm to have a Hilton

D Hulk

No map yet, but I wanted to outline how UniSea's shaping up so far.

It is to be Universal's attempt at a DisneySea quality park. Compared to the Studios first gate next door, it's more realistic, more adult-oriented, and more Old World. It's also a "legacy" park, with many older IPs chosen that have and will stand the test of time, all forming single-IP lands.

full

All the lands are oriented around a central landmark icon, a mountainous crag where Hogwarts Castle rests - this is the show building for Forbidden Journey. Like TDS' Mt. Prometheus, every land can see this crag, so lands are arranged for transitions and sightlines. The castle (which is also an in-park Harry Potter Hogwarts Hotel) faces lands like Hogsmeade, Transylvania and Hyrule. The crag's other side stands taller, hiding the castle, with a lagoon before it. This side faces Skull Island, Amity Village, Seuss Wilderness and Wells Docks. The Victorian London entry land uniquely can see both castle and lagoon.

full

Victorian London, like many a good entry land, favors shops, dining and atmosphere over attractions. Here are three (!) transportation rides - a high number like TDS largely because of how well those give that amazing park its life and movement.
- Boat transport - The park's "train," traveling waterways encircling the crag/castle. Other similar boats will ferry guests to UniMK, or to the various resort hotels.
- Hogwarts Express - It circles a corner of the park, stopping here at Platform 9 3/4, and also in Hogsmeade. The ride is the same as in Orlando. The train travels London, Transylvania and Hogsmeade, providing movement.
- Carriage transport - Horse-drawn carriages into Transylvania, mirroring Harker's journey to meet Dracula.
- West End theater venue - For hosting live Les Mis shows, and later other Broadway-caliber productions.
- Nighttime spectacular TBD - Planned for the central Hogwarts Castle and crag, but care is needed that it doesn't disturb Hogwarts hotel guests. Maybe like the Hogwarts Castle shows Universal already does.

Traveling in a circle - maybe counter clockwise - we come to...

full

Wells Laboratories, name very tentative, is an H.G. Well sci-fi land without any movie connections. It's still Victorian-Era England, which concerns me slightly, thought perhaps it's differentiated enough as more of a coastal countryside setting where Wells' scientists have erected a steampunk research facility at the base of a mysterious crater. Attractions include:
- War of the Worlds - An indoor/outdoor coaster against invading Martian Tripods. Coaster tracks are visually justified as subway tracks which the aliens have twisted with their lasers.
- The Time Machine - A motion-base dark ride like Spider-Man or Transformers, to the far future of the Eloi and Morlocks. Could also include trackless elements, for a branching timeline feature.
- The Island of Dr. Moreau - A "scare maze" walkthrough visiting the doctor's labs full of freakish animal-human hybrids.

full

Amity Village is a Jaws mini-land. Transition from coastal England to coastal New England.
- Jaws - A next-gen version of the classic ride, perhaps with some EMV tech like Indiana Jones Adventure to make it fresher.
- Dockyard playground - Because a mini-land needs an additional attraction. Climb on ships and nets and shark cages and such.

full

Skull Island
is based mostly on the classic 1930s King Kong. From Wells Laboratories docks, guests go around (or through) Denham's moored steamer ship, to the tribal island side where it appears moored to Skull Island. Transition from Jaws via bridges amidst shipwreck rocks. The land is set immediately post-Kong, during biologist explorations of the island, with rumors abounding of another giant ape in the dangerous interior.
- Skull Island River Adventure - A reskin of the classic Jurassic Park boat ride, full of animatronics. The tall sleek building becomes Kong's skull-shaped mountain icon.
- Additional TBD ride - D or C-ticket (Maybe some sort of biplane flight sim back to NY battling Kong on the Empire State??!?!)
- Live musical show - On a stage before the massive Kong gates. We must take care to avoid the African stereotypes of the original film, so I think handling the villagers' culture in an Animal Kingdom style might work. Maybe work in elements of Denham's NY "Eighth Wonder of the World" show?
- Rock-climbing course - Like in Shanghai Disneyland

full

Traveling through rocky caverns we reach Seuss Wilderness/Whoville. It starts outdoors in a beach and a Truffula Tree forest (transitioned to carefully from Kong's realistic juggle), then up through a snowy mountain pass to Hyrule's Death Mountain. Along the way, ice caverns lead to the Whoville subarea, visually isolated from the rest of the park (possibly indoors). Our most family-friendly area. Should include lots of our group's good Seuss work from earlier this summer!
full

- Mt. Crumpet Grinch coaster - Maybe using that cantilevered coaster concept Universal proposed for Donkey Kong, where it appears sleds are leaping icy chasms.
- Horton Hears a Who dark ride - Specific ride type TBD. Found inside Whoville.
- Yertle the Turtle flat spinner - On the beach, in tortoise shells "teacups" surrounding Yertle's stack
- Lorax flat ride - Outside, possibly in a crazy Truffula harvesting machine
- Whoville playground - Exploring the wild gizmos of an average Who house
- Whoville theater - For retelling of assorted Seuss tales, for Seussical, etc.

full

Hyrule, the world of Zelda, is where the Hogwarts Castle again comes into view. Death Mountain is near Mt. Crumpet, then the Lost Woods are connected to Hogsmeade's Forbidden Forest. In between are Karariko Village and Hyrule Castle Town, and the sprawling Hyrule Field. I'm mostly referencing Ocarina of Time.

Attractions are still TBD here, though Hyrule ought to be highly interactive as a video game property. (Kind of a big kids land to compliment Seuss Wilderness) I've considered a shooter dark ride in a classic Zelda dungeon, switching out between arrows and bombs. Guests can even amass rupees, to use for game booths in the towns. A Lost Woods walkthrough to find the Master Sword.

Calling all Zelda fans to propose other ideas!

The expansion pad near Hyrule and Hogsmeade is planned for a medieval fantasy property such as Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings. For now, licensing issues prevent them. Something like sword & sandal (Ancient Greece) would work too, regarding transitions and sightlines.

full

Hogsmeade near the central icon is similar to the existing Hogsmeade lands, with the wands and Butterbeer and good design. Since Hogwarts is being redesigned as a hotel, the land will expand to accommodate it, with the Flight of the Hippogriff area scaled up with new attractions in its place.
- Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey - The classic, a guaranteed anchor attraction for the park!
- Additional Potter E-ticket - Ideas we're discussing currently include a Quidditch coaster, a Quidditch flight sim, or a Hippogriff "better-than-Pandora" flight sim.
- Whomping Willow flat ride - Details TBD. (Should we do something with the Shrieking Shack too?)
- Hippogriff Encounter - Meet a realistic AA Buckbeak with a live performer Hagrid
- Walkthrough Hogwarts Castle stuff - We're discussing lots of nooks and crannies for the hotel guests. Should we open any of these up to park guests?

full

Lastly is Transylvania, land of the Universal Monsters. The classic 1930s monsters, not that Dark Universe stillbirth. A creepy Gothic village, distant Carpathian Mountains, etc. Ground zero for Halloween Horror Nights.
- The Mummy's Revenge - A clone of Orlando's mummy coaster, rethemed to Boris Karloff
- Dracula boat dark ride - Through flooded catacombs under his castle, perhaps with all the monsters making appearances. Think this one shouldn't have a height requirement, and should be a slower atmospheric adventure.
- Frankenstein drop tower - During the Doctor's creation experiment. (The Ride of Frankenstein!)
- Wolf-Man attraction TBD
- Black Lagoon diving bells - A flat ride I've played with before. Diving bells lower into the watery depths, the Creature attacks, bells shoot back up
- Universal Monsters Meet & Shriek
- Also possibly a live theater venue where Abbott and Costello can meet the monsters

I also had a very brief concept of an Alfred Hitchcock land, because of his importance to Universal, but it doesn't seem too rich for a theme park setting.

That's what I have right now. All suggestions are welcome, for attraction ideas, layout critiques, anything! Thanks!

Poe Dameron

It is to be Universal's attempt at a DisneySea quality park. Compared to the Studios first gate next door, it's more realistic, more adult-oriented, and more Old World. It's also a "legacy" park, with many older IPs chosen that have and will stand the test of time, all forming single-IP lands.

full

All the lands are oriented around a central landmark icon, a mountainous crag where Hogwarts Castle rests - this is the show building for Forbidden Journey. Like TDS' Mt. Prometheus, every land can see this crag, so lands are arranged for transitions and sightlines. The castle (which is also an in-park Harry Potter Hogwarts Hotel) faces lands like Hogsmeade, Transylvania and Hyrule. The crag's other side stands taller, hiding the castle, with a lagoon before it. This side faces Skull Island, Amity Village, Seuss Wilderness and Wells Docks. The Victorian London entry land uniquely can see both castle and lagoon.

full

Victorian London, like many a good entry land, favors shops, dining and atmosphere over attractions. Here are three (!) transportation rides - a high number like TDS largely because of how well those give that amazing park its life and movement.
- Boat transport - The park's "train," traveling waterways encircling the crag/castle. Other similar boats will ferry guests to UniMK, or to the various resort hotels.
- Hogwarts Express - It circles a corner of the park, stopping here at Platform 9 3/4, and also in Hogsmeade. The ride is the same as in Orlando. The train travels London, Transylvania and Hogsmeade, providing movement.
- Carriage transport - Horse-drawn carriages into Transylvania, mirroring Harker's journey to meet Dracula.
- West End theater venue - For hosting live Les Mis shows, and later other Broadway-caliber productions.
- Nighttime spectacular TBD - Planned for the central Hogwarts Castle and crag, but care is needed that it doesn't disturb Hogwarts hotel guests. Maybe like the Hogwarts Castle shows Universal already does.

full

Wells Laboratories, name very tentative, is an H.G. Well sci-fi land without any movie connections. It's still Victorian-Era England, which concerns me slightly, thought perhaps it's differentiated enough as more of a coastal countryside setting where Wells' scientists have erected a steampunk research facility at the base of a mysterious crater. Attractions include:
- War of the Worlds - An indoor/outdoor coaster against invading Martian Tripods. Coaster tracks are visually justified as subway tracks which the aliens have twisted with their lasers.
- The Time Machine - A motion-base dark ride like Spider-Man or Transformers, to the far future of the Eloi and Morlocks. Could also include trackless elements, for a branching timeline feature.
- The Island of Dr. Moreau - A "scare maze" walkthrough visiting the doctor's labs full of freakish animal-human hybrids.

full

Amity Village is a Jaws mini-land. Transition from coastal England to coastal New England.
- Jaws - A next-gen version of the classic ride, perhaps with some EMV tech like Indiana Jones Adventure to make it fresher.
- Dockyard playground - Because a mini-land needs an additional attraction. Climb on ships and nets and shark cages and such.

full

Skull Island
is based mostly on the classic 1930s King Kong. From Wells Laboratories docks, guests go around (or through) Denham's moored steamer ship, to the tribal island side where it appears moored to Skull Island. Transition from Jaws via bridges amidst shipwreck rocks. The land is set immediately post-Kong, during biologist explorations of the island, with rumors abounding of another giant ape in the dangerous interior.
- Skull Island River Adventure - A reskin of the classic Jurassic Park boat ride, full of animatronics. The tall sleek building becomes Kong's skull-shaped mountain icon.
- Additional TBD ride - D or C-ticket (Maybe some sort of biplane flight sim back to NY battling Kong on the Empire State??!?!)
- Live musical show - On a stage before the massive Kong gates. We must take care to avoid the African stereotypes of the original film, so I think handling the villagers' culture in an Animal Kingdom style might work. Maybe work in elements of Denham's NY "Eighth Wonder of the World" show?

full

Traveling through rocky caverns we reach Seuss Wilderness/Whoville. It starts outdoors in a beach and a Truffula Tree forest (transitioned to carefully from Kong's realistic juggle), then up through a snowy mountain pass to Hyrule's Death Mountain. Along the way, ice caverns lead to the Whoville subarea, visually isolated from the rest of the park (possibly indoors). Our most family-friendly area. Should include lots of our group's good Seuss work from earlier this summer!
full

- Mt. Crumpet Grinch coaster - Maybe using that cantilevered coaster concept Universal proposed for Donkey Kong, where it appears sleds are leaping icy chasms.
- Yertle the Turtle flat spinner - On the beach, in tortoise shells "teacups" surrounding Yertle's stack

full

Hyrule, the world of Zelda, is where the Hogwarts Castle again comes into view. Death Mountain is near Mt. Crumpet, then the Lost Woods are connected to Hogsmeade's Forbidden Forest. In between are Karariko Village and Hyrule Castle Town, and the sprawling Hyrule Field. I'm mostly referencing Ocarina of Time.

Attractions are still TBD here, though Hyrule ought to be highly interactive as a video game property. (Kind of a big kids land to compliment Seuss Wilderness) I've considered a shooter dark ride in a classic Zelda dungeon, switching out between arrows and bombs. Guests can even amass rupees, to use for game booths in the towns. A Lost Woods walkthrough to find the Master Sword.

The expansion pad near Hyrule and Hogsmeade is planned for a medieval fantasy property such as Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings. For now, licensing issues prevent them. Something like sword & sandal (Ancient Greece) would work too, regarding transitions and sightlines.

full

Hogsmeade near the central icon is similar to the existing Hogsmeade lands, with the wands and Butterbeer and good design. Since Hogwarts is being redesigned as a hotel, the land will expand to accommodate it, with the Flight of the Hippogriff area scaled up with new attractions in its place.
- Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey - The classic, a guaranteed anchor attraction for the park!
- Additional Potter E-ticket - Ideas we're discussing currently include a Quidditch coaster, a Quidditch flight sim, or a Hippogriff "better-than-Pandora" flight sim.
- Whomping Willow flat ride - Details TBD. (Should we do something with the Shrieking Shack too?)
- Hippogriff Encounter - Meet a realistic AA Buckbeak with a live performer Hagrid
- Walkthrough Hogwarts Castle stuff - We're discussing lots of nooks and crannies for the hotel guests. Should we open any of these up to park guests?

full

Lastly is Transylvania, land of the Universal Monsters. The classic 1930s monsters, not that Dark Universe stillbirth. A creepy Gothic village, distant Carpathian Mountains, etc. Ground zero for Halloween Horror Nights.
- The Mummy's Revenge - A clone of Orlando's mummy coaster, rethemed to Boris Karloff
- Dracula boat dark ride - Through flooded catacombs under his castle, perhaps with all the monsters making appearances. Think this one shouldn't have a height requirement, and should be a slower atmospheric adventure.
- Frankenstein drop tower - During the Doctor's creation experiment. (The Ride of Frankenstein!)
- Black Lagoon diving bells - A flat ride I've played with before. Diving bells lower into the watery depths, the Creature attacks, bells shoot back up
- Also possibly a live theater venue where Abbott and Costello can meet the monsters

I also had a very brief concept of an Alfred Hitchcock land, because of his importance to Universal, but it doesn't seem too rich for a theme park setting.

That's what I have right now. All suggestions are welcome, for attraction ideas, layout critiques, anything! Thanks!
Holy.... Please take me here now!

spacemt354

Chili's
I'd be in favor of the Hilton. It's a well-known resort and its ties with the film make it almost too good to pass up.
Works for me! I'll try to get a rough layout and sketches done for it over the weekend. I'm also brainstorming (in my head) possible themes for the other resorts.

We'd have taken care of the jungle theme with Isla Nublar. Perhaps Athens, Mediterranean theme? With Greek and Italian themed resorts flanking each other separated by a 'sea' which can then travel to the boat drop off point in the park.

spacemt354

Chili's

full

full

full

full

full

Skull Island

full

full

full

full

full

Will look more in depth at this tomorrow morning, but love this outline! Varied enough yet true to each land! Seriously can't wait for the map and potential sketches -- this park is going to be special!:geek:

D Hulk

Works for me! I'll try to get a rough layout and sketches done for it over the weekend. I'm also brainstorming (in my head) possible themes for the other resorts.

We'd have taken care of the jungle theme with Isla Nublar. Perhaps Athens, Mediterranean theme? With Greek and Italian themed resorts flanking each other separated by a 'sea' when can then travel to the boat drop off point in the park.
There's a good idea, orienting all the hotels around the water and making that our resort's macro theme. Could even inform City Walk. What about a riverboat hotel?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom