The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

FutureCEO

Fortunately, we've never had any major problems with airlines (we mostly fly Southwest).

There was big talk about building bullet trains here in Texas (about 25-ish years ago, I think...?). The thinking was that people would have another choice besides flying to travel great distances between the major cities quickly...Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, with a link to Houston.
Can't remember all the details of why it was eventually shelved, but, if I remember correctly, a large part of it had to do with the sheer cost of building the system over those distances.

I would love for the states of finally join the world of fast trains. In the Northeast, we have Acela but I think they only go 90mph due to the curvy tracks here. MagLevs are the one's you really want if you want to go fast. But I don't foresee that ever happening here.

1. Population is too spread out
2. Cost

Bullet_train_IX.jpg

Figgy1

Premium Member
Yes, I was thinking about the yoga...thinking that might be the way to go, at least on nights when I am not working. On my work nights, I don't get home until 11:30, so then it's a bit late to do Yoga...although, if I can't sleep, that might be helpful. It's just really sad to me that you have to jump through so many hoops to get help for your child. It should be easy...my child needs this, and they say "Ok, sure! Let's try that" not "Well...lets first try these 7 things that probably won't work, but will only take 6 years to rule out, and THEN we'll see about this other thing, which is probably exactly right, but lets try all the wrong things first." Like...you end up having to earn the help by years of needless suffering. I talked to DS's teacher yesterday and she said she was awake half the night worrying about him, too, and thought maybe a smaller school would be good for him. But she said he feels threatened by everyone. Well...yeah...because they all bully him. If you were getting spit on, tripped, pushed, called names, EVERY day for 5 years, and no one ever DID anything about it, you'd learn to be scared, too. The other day, they were walking to PE, and one kid kept stepping on DS's feet....like, 5 or 6 times...and tried to pretend he just didn't see him. Sure, you can accidentally step on someone's foot...but 6 times in one hallway? Sorry...I don't buy that. And DS was at recess, walked past another boy and accidentally touched the kid's jacket...the kid starts running at him, his two friends hold him back and tell DS to RUN! DS ran...he was allowed to go inside to play where he felt safer, BUT, the teacher didn't do anything to the boys, because she saw the whole thing and they were just PRETENDING to hold the kid back, who was PRETENDING to be raging...he wasn't really going to hit DS. Ok....BUT, intimidation is still bullying, and their intent was to scare DS into thinking he was going to get the carp beat out of him. So, you can package it up nice and pretty and say the boys were just joking, but everyone knows DS can't tell when people are serious or pretending...they are COUNTING on him not being able to tell. It's only a joke to THEM. That's not just good natured ribbing...that's bullying, and you just taught the bullies that that is fine, as long as they don't REALLY hit him. I'm just...flabbergasted. DD said she saw one boy with a kid in a headlock, while a 3rd boy was hitting the headlocked child in the rear with a ping pong paddle...the teacher saw it and walked right past because she was walking her class to PE and figured the on duty teacher would handle it. The whole school environment is toxic and then you can't understand why my son feels threatened by everyone and everything?? But then you insist that HE'S the one who needs to change his behavior, which he may or may not be able to control. I just...I'm so frustrated, and I'm tired of jumping through hoops and try to figure out what's wrong and how to fix it while things that could be fixed are allowed to continue.
Your oldest goes to a special school, correct? How long has he been in that program? My biggest concern about sending him to a special school is that he won't get the challenge...that it will be geared more toward the kids who have a cognitive disability and he will be bored. He's in all the plus groups and he's a year or 2, sometimes 3 years younger than the kids in his class. I don't want him to trade one problem for another. I still want him to get the advanced work, just in a safe environment. We've only been in this school for 4 weeks and I really don't think it's a safe place for him, but we have no other schools in our neighborhood. If we can get a diagnosis for a special school, we could probably have him bused to that school, but if not, there is really no other option I can think of for him.
Yup he's in a special program and was in a regular building for most of the time but now he's in a program on a college campus. He was in a regular building but didn't mingle too much. Lunch was in the regular cafeteria but was supervised. He started off in special ed when he started school but that program wasn't right so then he got put in an emotional support class which was great until right before middle school when some of the bullies got shipped in so we moved YEA to a better district at the suggestion of one of the teachers. There's a reason we have so many teachers living in our district. anyway. he was in their emotional support until a new program for Autistic teen and young adults was formed. I don't know how IEPs work over there but my ds always got challenging work for him. Over here with an IEP every child gets modifications designed around his or her needs. Find out if they do something like that. IMHO if at this point his emotional needs are greater than his academic needs if he can learn how to live in the real world is that more important at this point. The other thing with a smaller class he'll get more individualized attention and the last thing at least over here a teacher wants in a special class is a bored child. We had one teacher who we're still friendly with who got a whole class through The Sorcerer's Stone and some of them never tackled anything harder than Cat In the Hat before. It took some of them the better part of the year for some but they did it. Most have now gone on to finish the series. In short if he qualifies for the smaller building try it because it sounds safer and you can always supplement with books and projects at home. All this is just based off what we've been through

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
I would love for the states of finally join the world of fast trains. In the Northeast, we have Acela but I think they only go 90mph due to the curvy tracks here. MagLevs are the one's you really want if you want to go fast. But I don't foresee that ever happening here.

1. Population is too spread out
2. Cost

Bullet_train_IX.jpg
I'd love a high speed rail and would use it for going to DC(I've done regular AMTRAK:joyfull:) and Florida if I could. Have I mentioned I hate flying commercial!!!!!!!

MouseDreaming

It has barely rained here I'm told anyhow as I was. Ring rained on by Irma in 3 weeks or so But Summer has returned to the Midwest. She isn't done with is yet. High 80s and 5 days of 90s coming to Midwest.
Real feel today of 104 last I looked. I think lunch should be interesting. K-1 kids running in heat on full bellies. Hope the nurse is ready for a lot of customers!

MouseDreaming

Yes, I was thinking about the yoga...thinking that might be the way to go, at least on nights when I am not working. On my work nights, I don't get home until 11:30, so then it's a bit late to do Yoga...although, if I can't sleep, that might be helpful. It's just really sad to me that you have to jump through so many hoops to get help for your child. It should be easy...my child needs this, and they say "Ok, sure! Let's try that" not "Well...lets first try these 7 things that probably won't work, but will only take 6 years to rule out, and THEN we'll see about this other thing, which is probably exactly right, but lets try all the wrong things first." Like...you end up having to earn the help by years of needless suffering. I talked to DS's teacher yesterday and she said she was awake half the night worrying about him, too, and thought maybe a smaller school would be good for him. But she said he feels threatened by everyone. Well...yeah...because they all bully him. If you were getting spit on, tripped, pushed, called names, EVERY day for 5 years, and no one ever DID anything about it, you'd learn to be scared, too. The other day, they were walking to PE, and one kid kept stepping on DS's feet....like, 5 or 6 times...and tried to pretend he just didn't see him. Sure, you can accidentally step on someone's foot...but 6 times in one hallway? Sorry...I don't buy that. And DS was at recess, walked past another boy and accidentally touched the kid's jacket...the kid starts running at him, his two friends hold him back and tell DS to RUN! DS ran...he was allowed to go inside to play where he felt safer, BUT, the teacher didn't do anything to the boys, because she saw the whole thing and they were just PRETENDING to hold the kid back, who was PRETENDING to be raging...he wasn't really going to hit DS. Ok....BUT, intimidation is still bullying, and their intent was to scare DS into thinking he was going to get the carp beat out of him. So, you can package it up nice and pretty and say the boys were just joking, but everyone knows DS can't tell when people are serious or pretending...they are COUNTING on him not being able to tell. It's only a joke to THEM. That's not just good natured ribbing...that's bullying, and you just taught the bullies that that is fine, as long as they don't REALLY hit him. I'm just...flabbergasted. DD said she saw one boy with a kid in a headlock, while a 3rd boy was hitting the headlocked child in the rear with a ping pong paddle...the teacher saw it and walked right past because she was walking her class to PE and figured the on duty teacher would handle it. The whole school environment is toxic and then you can't understand why my son feels threatened by everyone and everything?? But then you insist that HE'S the one who needs to change his behavior, which he may or may not be able to control. I just...I'm so frustrated, and I'm tired of jumping through hoops and try to figure out what's wrong and how to fix it while things that could be fixed are allowed to continue.
Your oldest goes to a special school, correct? How long has he been in that program? My biggest concern about sending him to a special school is that he won't get the challenge...that it will be geared more toward the kids who have a cognitive disability and he will be bored. He's in all the plus groups and he's a year or 2, sometimes 3 years younger than the kids in his class. I don't want him to trade one problem for another. I still want him to get the advanced work, just in a safe environment. We've only been in this school for 4 weeks and I really don't think it's a safe place for him, but we have no other schools in our neighborhood. If we can get a diagnosis for a special school, we could probably have him bused to that school, but if not, there is really no other option I can think of for him.
I just want to say, yes, it is exhausting what we do for our kiddos. But, keep up the good fight! We are right behind you.

betty rose

True, and I had that same anxiety. No one likes having things stuck in your eye. I'm here to say that you feel nothing in the line of pain, It is amazingly gentle and quick. And the difference in ones vision is mind boggling. I can't stop you from feeling that anxiety, but, I can tell you that when it's done you are going to wish you had it done a long time ago.
When it's my time...I'll come back for another reassurance. Thanks in advance!

betty rose

Fortunately, we've never had any major problems with airlines (we mostly fly Southwest).

There was big talk about building bullet trains here in Texas (about 25-ish years ago, I think...?). The thinking was that people would have another choice besides flying to travel great distances between the major cities quickly...Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, with a link to Houston.
Can't remember all the details of why it was eventually shelved, but, if I remember correctly, a large part of it had to do with the sheer cost of building the system over those distances.
We have only one Southwest Flight a day. It's too late to book to go to Florida.

BAChicagoGal

After wrapping my head around my eye problems, and waiting for my eyes to return back to normal after being dialated, life threw me another curveball. I logged into Facebook last night to discover that a good friend of mine had passed away. Just 61 years old. Nice guy. I can't believe he is gone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom