A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
How dare he wear a tank top in Florida, and have a baby what kind of monster is this man, obviously he must be trash and not someone who dressed for the weather. Obviously this man should be in a tuxedo. It's obviously after 5 and he's not a farmer, holy hell if I am paying the money I'll where whatever the hell I want.

What an elitist and idiotic comment. Maybe people are allowed to be comfortable without consulting with some child on the internet about what the proper dress code is.

Guy in a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops walks into a Ferrari dealership and gets ignored. Same guy walks into a Lamborghini dealership and receives the appropriate customer service. End of the day...guy drives home in his new Lambo.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And that is what I am afraid will happen. The Disney name will stop having meaning and just become a loose conglomeration of BRANDS. This is why I loathe Iger so much.

Its already happening if you look closely.

Outside of us the 'Disney Superfans' how many NORMAL people know (or Care) that MARVEL and Star Wars are 'Disney' properties.

doctornick

Outside of us the 'Disney Superfans' how many NORMAL people know (or Care) that MARVEL and Star Wars are 'Disney' properties.

Very few, really. Or at least, people might say "oh, yeah, Disney owns Star Wars now" but don't really think of Marvel or Star Wars, etc. as a "Disney" product.

Which of course makes the hand wringing about "brand dilution" so incredibly silly. For the vast majority of people, "Disney" as a "brand" still means Mickey Mouse, princesses and other quality family fare with the occasional Pirates thing thrown in.

UpAllNight

You're not necessarily wrong, but it's important to understand the difference between the work that Eisner and previous leadership did to The Walt Disney Company and what Iger has done to DIS. All of the mergers and acquisitions made over the last decade are not necessarily bad moves for Disney, but actions surrounding these acquisitions, along with other moves the company has made, are examples of inorganic growth.

The Walt Disney Company effectively makes a stable profit off of the back of the intellectual property it owns, but that property came from well-executed creative vision. Sure, you can point to early Walt Disney Productions movies being retelling of old stories, but that was not the whole of the business, and there is no more obvious organic growth than the creation of Disneyland and Walt Disney World. It's important to point to the implosion of the Disney decade, the whirly merge with ABC, and the falling out with Pixar as obvious negatives to the Eisner tenure, but the organic growth already described can't be taken away, especially considering how much work was done to turn P&R into even more of a cash cow. GF, BW... these massive, beautiful resorts that still make the company ridiculous sums of money.

So, that really just leads me to ask, where are we seeing domestic organic growth at DIS under Iger? What are employees of the company able to create with him at the helm? You can only "synergize" for so long before you start to divide by zero. This stunting of organic growth underscores the one thing that can kill this company outside of global thermonuclear war: an virulent, institutional rot that won't fully reveal itself until it's far too late.

Again I see this argument and there's some good points, but like a lot of reading around here recently it's selective. Disneys classic animation division was suffering in the 80s, had a huge revival in the late 80's with Little Mermaid that lasted into the mid 90s but then fell away again. Disneys latest output in their classic animation division, and by that I mean Tangled, Wreck it Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootropolis and Moana have all been VERY well received and very popular. In fact, I'd argue they are in an era compariable only to the 1950s....there's a complete mismatch to how these films are loved, and performing to how the current era is being viewed on this forum.

Frozen was HUGE. People may not like it, but it can't be selectively brushed under the carpet as if it didn't happen.

Last edited:

shortstop

Its already happening if you look closely.

You have that backwards. You and others claim Disney has become synonymous with Star Wars, Marvel, etc. yet at the same time say the average person doesn't associate the two together. I'd argue that for the most part Disney has done a good job of distinguishing the brands it owns.

culturenthrills

For the few here who have asked, no, not intending on doing HHNs this year (unless you want to buy me a ticket for my company!) ... I'm sorta over the whole experience at this point. It has become about people drinking to excess and being belligerent and Millennials spending $500 a night on an event that I used to enjoy for $19.99.

Well, they have decided to try and reign in the drinking at HHN. The tent bars are only serving the premixed drinks, beer and wine. The shot girls were dismissed and even the advertised "heart shot" was pulled. This allegedly all happened at the last minute and came from Bill Davis.

Frank the Tank

Again I see this argument and there's some good points, but like a lot of reading around here recently it's selective. Disneys classic animation division was suffering in the 80s, had a huge revival in the late 80's with Little Mermaid that lasted into the mid 90s but then fell away again. Disneys latest output in their classic animation division, and by that I mean Tangled, Wreck it Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootropolis and Moana have all been VERY well received and very popular. In fact, I'd argue they are in an era compariable only to the 1950s....there's a complete mismatch to how these films are loved, and performing to how the current era is being viewed on this forum.

Frozen was HUGE. People may not like it, but it can't be selectively brushed under the carpet as if it didn't happen.

Agreed. Disney Animation has had an excellent run over the past decade and they've been doing it without much in the way of slam dunk pre-existing source material. We all look at Frozen as a "franchise" now, but the fact that Disney was able to *create* that franchise in the first place is the epitome of organic growth.

Also, as I've mentioned in some other threads, Marvel might have been an acquisition, but its transformation into a movie juggernaut was very clearly under the Disney watch. It's easy to go back and look at Marvel as simple a mass addition to the Disney IP portfolio that could be "plug and play", but that was hardly the case at the time of the acquisition. Remember that Disney's purchase didn't include any movie rights to the most popular Marvel IPs (e.g. Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four) and they were literally going off the success of only the first Iron Man movie. There's absolutely no one in Hollywood that would have reasonably told you 10 years ago that movies featuring Captain America and Thor would be consistently beating Spider-Man, X-Men and Fantastic Four movies in gross box office revenue (to the point where Sony needed Disney's Marvel unit to step back in to help the Spider-Man franchise, which would be like Disney outsourcing the production of Frozen 2 to Universal) while Guardians of the Galaxy (much less The Avengers) would turn into a cornerstone mega-franchise. Anyone telling you differently would be a liar.

To be sure, I would say that the Lucasfilm and Pixar acquisitions were much more "plug and play" by comparison where Disney's main objectives were to not screw them up. Pretty much every reasonable person knew that a simply competent Star Wars movie would be a runaway success when Disney acquired Lucasfilm. However, that definitely wasn't the case with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so Disney ought to get credit for its success (even if it was a matter of simply being smart enough to get out of the way of the Marvel creative leadership). If Disney sold off Marvel today, it would be worth exponentially more than what it had acquired it for in 2009.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You have that backwards. You and others claim Disney has become synonymous with Star Wars, Marvel, etc. yet at the same time say the average person doesn't associate the two together. I'd argue that for the most part Disney has done a good job of distinguishing the brands it owns.

No we've said that Disney has overhyped MARVEL and SW, But ask the man on the street 'owns star wars' the answer will most likely be george lucas

matt9112

Guy in a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops walks into a Ferrari dealership and gets ignored. Same guy walks into a Lamborghini dealership and receives the appropriate customer service. End of the day...guy drives home in his new Lambo.

yeah the lesser car to match his lesser looks. lambos are given to anyone with cash (this is why rappers love them) but Ferrari puts a premium selection process for there top tier cars. sure you can walk in and get a California any day but a FF? hope you already own a few Ferraris.

Sir_Cliff

yeah the lesser car to match his lesser looks. lambos are given to anyone with cash (this is why rappers love them) but Ferrari puts a premium selection process for there top tier cars. sure you can walk in and get a California any day but a FF? hope you already own a few Ferraris.
I'd rather be the guy in the wifebeater than the person who considers driving around in that Ferrari the height of class and good taste.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

Point flew over your head there, eh?

Was suggesting that it is not a good idea to judge someone based on their attire at any given moment. You/me/we do not know their situation.

nevol

Loving this new eastern gateway news/rumor. Glad to 'hear' that Disney is swallowing its pride and trying to get something done for once. I'd like to see movement on the new hotel and non-pixar DCA development, even if it is Marvel offerings that kill DCA's parkwide story/theme.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
How dare he wear a tank top in Florida, and have a baby what kind of monster is this man, obviously he must be trash and not someone who dressed for the weather. Obviously this man should be in a tuxedo. It's obviously after 5 and he's not a farmer, holy hell if I am paying the money I'll where whatever the hell I want.

Here's the problem. When I USED to visit Disney i usually wore leather walking shoes khaki's and a collared shirt. What DW calls my 'uniform' but because of that guests come up and ASSUME i'm management simply because i'm neatly dressed. To avoid that I took to wearing hawaiian shirts in place of regular shirt.

I dont know where the correlation between slovenly dress and comfort comes from in the US.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't think it's elitist at all. Wife beats out in public are extremely tacky and trashy. A regular tank is fine.
What's the difference between a "regular tank" and a "wife beat"? The guy in the picture is wearing what looks like a grey tank top to me. I always thought a wife beater was a sleeveless undershirt.

All you guys need to publish the rules of proper theme park attire so I can make sure a picture of me enjoying some time with my kids doesn't turn up here;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here's the problem. When I USED to visit Disney i usually wore leather walking shoes khaki's and a collared shirt. What DW calls my 'uniform' but because of that guests come up and ASSUME i'm management simply because i'm neatly dressed. To avoid that I took to wearing hawaiian shirts in place of regular shirt.

I dont know where the correlation between slovenly dress and comfort comes from in the US.
Wearing shorts or t-shirts doesn't make you slovenly dressed. It's your right to dress business casual at a theme park if you choose but if it's summer in FL you won't catch me in pants. I'm wearing shorts. I'd rather be called trash or slovenly than suffer from even more swamp a$$;)

Nubs70

Wearing shorts or t-shirts doesn't make you slovenly dressed. It's your right to dress business casual at a theme park if you choose but if it's summer in FL you won't catch me in pants. I'm wearing shorts. I'd rather be called trash or slovenly than suffer from even more swamp a$$;)
who-farted-revenge-of-the-nerds-shirt.main-1.jpeg
Sloven

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom