Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

No Name

A lot of boardwalks have midway games just like fairs.

But there's no boardwalk in DHS, so why is he a boardwalk barker? The whole premise of it being a midway game and all was clearly designed for Paradise Pier and then brought over.
On a larger scale I don't thin TSMM (or TSL) really fits any sort of theme of DHS, same with Star Tours. I think they were both shoe-ins. But anyway...

even if that's not the best example, hopefully you understand what I mean.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
DHS doesn't have a South America section, but the Indy Stunt show takes place there.

The midway game is the midway of a boardwalk.

Casper Gutman

DHS doesn't have a South America section, but the Indy Stunt show takes place there.

The midway game is the midway of a boardwalk.
Yeah, this is a bad example - Uni and MGM both had a coherent "behind-the-scenes" theme when they opened, and both have largely abandoned that. But in that original context, the attraction made complete sense. Now, if they translated that exact show to Adventureland in DL, it wouldn't make any sense. And quite frankly NOTHING makes sense in the MGM that is emerging now - you're in actual old-timey Hollywood but sometimes behind the scenes of an actual studio but sometimes actually participants in the world of the movie themselves.

Last edited:

Andsome

I must say, seeing some of the more recent concept art has restored my faith in this attraction. (I'll still miss GMR, though)

Goofyernmost

Sure, one could argue that cloning the ride isn't terrible (I personally don't like it but don't mind some things). That still doesn't change the fact the park needs more rides, not replacing rides and there never ever will be a positive reason for why they couldn't have built this elsewhere in the park AND updated the ride.
Well, perhaps that theory of non-duplication is part of what the reason is that we don't have enough rides. And really, other then that, it has no bearing on the numbers anyway.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Yeah, this is a bad example - Uni and MGM both had a coherent "behind-the-scenes" theme when they opened, and both have largely abandoned that. But in that original context, the attraction made complete sense. Now, if they translated that exact show to Adventureland in DL, it wouldn't make any sense. And quite frankly NOTHING makes sense in the MGM that is emerging now - you're in actual old-timey Hollywood but sometimes behind the scenes of an actual studio but sometimes actually participants in the world of the movie themselves.

So, then, does that make Mr. Potato Head a boardwalk barker or a non-boardwalk barker?

spacemt354

Chili's
So, then, does that make Mr. Potato Head a boardwalk barker or a non-boardwalk barker?
Toy Story in California is set within Paradise/Pixar Pier -- fits with a waterfront/boardwalk theme.
2009mania1.jpg

Toy Story in Tokyo Disney Sea is in the American Waterfront section in the Toyville Trolley Park - also a boardwalk theme. (Opened in 2012)
nightshot.jpg

Toy Story in DHS is a boardwalk midway games playset (whatever that means) which shoehorns boardwalk midway games into the theme of being in Andy's room.
toy-story-mania-gallery03.jpg

4.-mr-potato-head-toy-story-midway-mania-hollywood-studios-walt-disney-world.jpg

Therefore, Mr. Potato Head should be a boardwalk barker in the DHS version, since he's a toy within the boardwalk playset.

However, the larger point is how evident it is TSMM was more properly designed for a different location, yet it was shoehorned into a soundstage, and now a backyard, adjusting the theme to be a playset. I still enjoy the attraction, and am looking forward to Toy Story Land, but I don't see how it helps DHS regain an identity it once had with MGM, unless being immersed in themed lands from Disney films/characters is going to be the intrinsic design.

Ag11gani

Toy Story in California is set within Paradise/Pixar Pier -- fits with a waterfront/boardwalk theme.
2009mania1.jpg

Toy Story in Tokyo Disney Sea is in the American Waterfront section in the Toyville Trolley Park - also a boardwalk theme. (Opened in 2012)
nightshot.jpg

Toy Story in DHS is a boardwalk midway games playset (whatever that means) which shoehorns boardwalk midway games into the theme of being in Andy's room.
toy-story-mania-gallery03.jpg

4.-mr-potato-head-toy-story-midway-mania-hollywood-studios-walt-disney-world.jpg

Therefore, Mr. Potato Head should be a boardwalk barker in the DHS version, since he's a toy within the boardwalk playset.

However, the larger point is how evident it is TSMM was more properly designed for a different location, yet it was shoehorned into a soundstage, and now a backyard, adjusting the theme to be a playset. I still enjoy the attraction, and am looking forward to Toy Story Land, but I don't see how it helps DHS regain an identity it once had with MGM, unless being immersed in themed lands from Disney films/characters is going to be the intrinsic design.

But what's even more confusing is that in the TDS version the load area is themed to Andy's room similar to the third track on the DHS version.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Confusing was probably the wrong word, inconsistent would be better.

While not an excuse for blatant inconsistency, we could fill pages and pages of other, current inconsistencies throughout the parks. Some inconsistencies are goofs. Others are purposefully ignored and one's own suspension of belief needs to kick in. Just look at how many films and books have inconsistencies that they often get dinged for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom