Boy jumped into lake a Epcot!

rob0519

I'm not really sure why this was "reported" as this isn't the first time someone has gone swimming in a non-swimming area. Of course, that was before social media and cell phones, where people report all of the minutia of their days. I guess if something isn't recorded and shared, it didn't really happen?

I think things like this are reported because the technology to do so is readily available. I also think it's because the posters want the notoriety of posting what they feel is an unusual event at Disney as the chances of anything from Disney will go viral.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
maxresdefault.jpg

Tick Tock

as this isn't the first time someone has gone swimming in a non-swimming area.
True, but that was years ago, I thought the redhead was really cute, jumping out of the boat was the only way to get to her, I've already apologized to Disney for this plenty of times, my temporary ban from Pirates has since been lifted, and more importantly, you promised to never bring this up again.

SSH

Is that a Tier 1 FP+ to swim in the lake?
Actually - I think they should turn the Disney Springs lake into an old-school swimmin' hole - how cool would that be with all the outdoor bars overlooking it?

A few drinks...a refreshing dip. Sign me up. They could use another water park.:D

HMF

Exactly. That doesn't mean they're not. They don't want it to be their identity, because it's not. Also, not the point of this post.
It is a part of identity not all of it but a major factor. There is a sigma around autism that is unfortunate.

bclane

I'm a licensed/certified special education teacher and the truth is, there is no single correct way of referring to autistic people/people with autism. This is simply because some people prefer to be referred to as an autistic person and others prefer to be referred to as a person with autism. Parents sometimes prefer the opposite way that their own autistic child does. There is actually a huge debate that is ongoing on which terminology is preferable. Here is a article that supports one side of the argument while discussing the other(s). There are lots of articles out there on this topic.

http://autisticadvocacy.org/about-asan/identity-first-language/

I simply listen to how a child refers to him/herself or how the parent(s) refer to their child and go with whatever they prefer. Actually, I just refer to them by their first name 99% of the time anyway.

One shoe does not fit everyone in this case...

Lokheed

Speaking as the parent of an autistic person: Thank you everyone in this thread for not piling on the parents. When I opened the thread, I kind of expected it to have multiple critiques of the parents for not controlling him, and was very pleased it to find otherwise.

When I first heard about this story yesterday, my immediate thought was "That sounds like something Ben would try to do..."

I was not even remotely surprised to hear that the boy involved is autistic. (And by the way, bclane has it exactly correct, there is no right or wrong way to describe an autistic person, presuming of course you are not being deliberately derogatory)

Kudos to the Disney Cast Members for responding to the situation well. I have always been very impressed by how well Disney trains its people to handle special needs persons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom