Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Casper Gutman

Okay I haven't really complained about this land yet, but after seeing the model, the premise of this land and its execution are just cheap and not very thought out logically. The scale is so off in so many different ways and nothing about it makes any sense. Its just so half-a**ed
Trying to figure out the scale on those footprints is making my brain hurt.

Sped2424

What about the model shows any reduction than what we saw from the second set of artist drawings?
toy-story-land-model-3.jpg

Toy%2BStory%2BLand%2BDHS%2BPixar%2BPost.jpg

After the big launch in the middle it looks like a good portion of the extra theming got cut from the last loop of the coaster if the model is any indication given that instead of blocks there is now just bamboo.

upload_2017-9-16_3-32-53.png

upload_2017-9-16_3-31-12.png

It also looks like the end return to load got some elements cut or rather shrunken down? The mr. Mic toy and that yellow speaker box seem to have both been shrunken down to the size of a regular toy.

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-16_3-29-22.png
    upload_2017-9-16_3-29-22.png
    195.9 KB · Views: 66
  • upload_2017-9-16_3-29-27.png
    upload_2017-9-16_3-29-27.png
    195.9 KB · Views: 60

Sped2424

upload_2017-9-16_3-37-12.png

Another interesting thing from the model I am not sure of this is decorative? Or perhaps a new form of entertainment in the land featuring green army men? Either way this would be new to the land as it was not shown previously.

Bartattack

His point is that they aren't getting rid of the word "Midway" from the name.

Imagineering wanted the name to be Toy Story Midway Mania, but Marketing wanted it to be Toy Story Mania, and so the two departments have called it a different name ever since. A real petty fight which I'm sure you're aware of. Tokyo's version, which opened four years later in 2012, is simply Toy Story Mania both on signs and in advertisements. So it seems marketing has been gaining ground, and the concern was that they'd win over the new signage in TSL.

Could it be that they thought "Midway" was not a name suited to use in Japan?

Casper Gutman

OMG, you aren't expecting the people of today to have any clue about history do you. If they did they would be shivering in fear right about now.
Why would they be "shivering in fear?" And I'd wager quite a few folks here have a strong grasp of history - this is quite an erudite group. It's one of the reasons this board is interesting.

No Name

Would be neat if that were an acrobatic show of sorts but I'm guessing it's decoration.

OMG, you aren't expecting the people of today to have any clue about history do you. If they did they would be shivering in fear right about now.

What is this about, the Battle of Midway? That's the only thing I can think of. Please... because a certain word is in the name of a certain battle, it can't be used in a theme park attraction?

I don't think that's the reason for the altered name. Notice the sign in Japan is the attraction logo, while that's not the case at DHS or DCA. Seems a marketing thing. But I suppose anything's possible.

lazyboy97o

What is this about, the Battle of Midway? That's the only thing I can think of. Please... because a certain word is in the name of a certain battle, it can't be used in a theme park attraction?

I don't think that's the reason for the altered name. Notice the sign in Japan is the attraction logo, while that's not the case at DHS or DCA. Seems a marketing thing. But I suppose anything's possible.
I took @Bartattack’s question to be more about knowing the term in relation to an amusement park. Sort of like how Frontierland is Westernland.

Goofyernmost

Why would they be "shivering in fear?" And I'd wager quite a few folks here have a strong grasp of history - this is quite an erudite group. It's one of the reasons this board is interesting.
If it has to be explained, then it's not a strong grasp on history. I guess we live in a world where we don't care about anything but ourselves anymore.

Think beyond the names of a park and into perhaps some painful memories about their history and you will find the answer to your question. It was a reference for use in Japan not here. It was why it wasn't named "midway" in Japan.
I took @Bartattack’s question to be more about knowing the term in relation to an amusement park. Sort of like how Frontierland is Westernland.
Nope, nothing like that at all.

Casper Gutman

If it has to be explained, then it's not a strong grasp on history. I guess we live in a world where we don't care about anything but ourselves anymore.

Think beyond the names of a park and into perhaps some painful memories about their history and you will find the answer to your question. It was a reference for use in Japan not here. It was why it wasn't named "midway" in Japan.

What has to be explained is your odd comment about "shivering in fear." It's incoherent.

And guess what - I'd wager most folks here know about the Battle of Midway. Your air of superiority on that point is unearned. But let's dig down into this a bit. What are the Japanese conventions for the naming of WWII battles? The north and south in the civil war, for instance, had entirely different terminology for each battle. Is the battle of Midway known as Midway in Japanese? What are the intricacies of translation here? How do Japanese sources, both academic and popular, remember the Battle? And then we need to get into popular memory, which is always tricky.

A lot of Americans died at Midway even though the Allies won, after all, but that word doesn't carry tragic overtones for American audiences. Then we should probably consider the example of Shiloh - a tragic and bloody Civil War battle that shares its name with a beloved series of children's books and films. And of course the Battle of the Bulge, one of bloodiest encounters of WWII, hasn't tainted the word "bulge." And man, can you imagine if a major studio tried to release a fantasy film called The Two Towers only a little over a year after 9/11? That would be terrible and the film would certainly bomb.

Hey, if we're going to impugn other poster's knowledge and pat ourselves on the back for our erudition, let's really explore this.

lazyboy97o

The Japanese don’t even call their country Japan. I’m guessing you have absolutely nothing to support your assertion that the Japanese have a wide understanding of term midway as it relates to an amusement park and that term was avoided due to the Battle of Midway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom