Pls suggest a phone that's best for me

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
I have a flip phone that I've held on to because: 1) it has been easy to use 2)it is small and it fits nicely in my slacks at my school teaching job 3)and that phone's PLAN has my $29 a month rate plan locked in from 14 years ago. Yet, recently at times the person on the other end of my phone call can't hear me. I call T-Mobile and they reset the phone....2 months later it begins to happen again! ...I call...they reset. :arghh:
So, I'm hoping a couple of posters on this forum will suggest a smart phone that is best for me:
1)The potential future phone has a screen for texting that spaces out the letters enough that I'm not constantly hitting the adjacent letters by accident (would a phone w/ a stylus be helpful?) 2)a phone that is easy to use (phone calls/texting/photos...I'm not gonna download a bunch of apps....may be a couple ;) 3)it should be affordable
I've been with T-Mobile since the company began.....what....14 years?
If I left them and went to Sprint or another company, would any of you point me toward a deal for brand new customers where I get a free phone or a phone that is right for me at a great deal?

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Sprint has an offer for an 18 month lease of an iphone 6s....pre-owned....$14.59 (again it's 18 months)
How is the ease of texting on that?
Any other good or better deals ???(fitting my OP parameters above)
Hoping for some suggestions.
:)

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
How about the latest generation of Blackberry products.
Easy for a laptop guy like me to get used to texting on that instead of a iphone screen...yes?

5thGenTexan

If you want to stick with a flip phone, Sprint still offers the DuraXTP. I had an earlier version before I got my smartphone. I still have mine in a drawer and decided if the new norm is $1000 smartphones, I will just go back to a simpler time. :)

DuraXTP_PressRelease_Image.jpg

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
If you want to stick with a flip phone, Sprint still offers the DuraXTP. I had an earlier version before I got my smartphone. I still have mine in a drawer and decided if the new norm is $1000 smartphones, I will just go back to a simpler time. :)

DuraXTP_PressRelease_Image.jpg
Thank you for your response and the photo too!
I watched a youtube video and I went to the phone's website.
It's not for me ( and you must be a Sprint customer ) but I'm sure someone viewing this thread will be interested.
Thanks again!
Steve

Nemo14

I made the jump to a smart phone last spring after swearing I'd never give up my flip phone. I went with an iPhone 6s basically because my daughter has one so I figured she could show me how to use the darn thing. I'm still learning, and I don't love it, but it's handy. I'm a long-time Verizon customer so I got the phone through them.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Many hours went by before I received my 1st response above......so I went shopping on the internet.
I'm really interested in the 2017 Blackberry Keyone www.blackberrymobile.com
Real keyboard.
Nice look.
Smartphone apps.
....it's not cheap like I asked for in my OP.
....oh well.......I'm still open to future posters with any other suggestions :cool:

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Nemo14 I was looking at that (iPhone 6s) on Sprint or T-Mobile.
I'm fairly sure it was Sprint.
What do you like about it?
What (if anything) frustrates you about it?

lazyboy97o

Since you’re not really into smartphones, you might want to go into a store and see if they still have the iPhone 6 in stock. Apple just announced new phones, so it is no longer a current model but will be more than capable of what you want to do with it.

BlackBerry is dead and doesn’t even make their phones any more. They don’t really have any support for them.

Android phones come in almost every price range. A few Chinese manufacturers have become notable for making good but cheap phones. There are issues of fragmentation and a lack of available updates with cheaper Android phones.

Nemo14

Nemo14 I was looking at that (iPhone 6s) on Sprint or T-Mobile.
I'm fairly sure it was Sprint.
What do you like about it?
What (if anything) frustrates you about it?
The size is a little frustrating, but I do like how I can send pictures right away and it's nice being able to facetime with my kids and the grandkids. The fact that it came with no manual (you have to purchase that seperately apparently) was surprising to me, but this is my first experience with an Apple product of any kind. I don't really do apps - I think I've downloaded 2 or 3, but that's about it.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Since you’re not really into smartphones, you might want to go into a store and see if they still have the iPhone 6 in stock. Apple just announced new phones, so it is no longer a current model but will be more than capable of what you want to do with it.

BlackBerry is dead and doesn’t even make their phones any more. They don’t really have any support for them.

Android phones come in almost every price range. A few Chinese manufacturers have become notable for making good but cheap phones. There are issues of fragmentation and a lack of available updates with cheaper Android phones.
Sorry Lazyboy97o.....but they do make them.....the all new flying out of the store 2017 Blackberry Keyone

5thGenTexan

Thank you for your response and the photo too!
I watched a youtube video and I went to the phone's website.
It's not for me ( and you must be a Sprint customer ) but I'm sure someone viewing this thread will be interested.
Thanks again!
Steve

I think I have been with Sprint for about 20 years. I have just never been inclined to switch.

When I bought my smartphone it was still when you could get a phone for a penny. So I got a LG G3. When I was looking at the Sprint site yesterday to see what offering they had (because there is no way I am paying $1000), I found the LG G5 for $145 total price. The LG G6 is out, but its $600. I don't need the newest thing, I need the most economical thing. :)

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
The size is a little frustrating, but I do like how I can send pictures right away and it's nice being able to facetime with my kids and the grandkids. The fact that it came with no manual (you have to purchase that seperately apparently) was surprising to me, but this is my first experience with an Apple product of any kind. I don't really do apps - I think I've downloaded 2 or 3, but that's about it.
OK that's interesting that you talk about the size.
My flip phone is so easy to stuff in the pocket of my dress slacks. As a teacher at school I can have it with me and the students and the principal have no idea that I have it in my pocket. The smartphones are too big to fit in a man's pants pocket?? Is that true? :confused:

Clamman73

Sprint has an offer for an 18 month lease of an iphone 6s....pre-owned....$14.59 (again it's 18 months)
How is the ease of texting on that?
Any other good or better deals ???(fitting my OP parameters above)
Hoping for some suggestions.
Had the 6s...only thing I really didn't like was the battery life. Would be fine for the day, but now have a 7 plus which is an odvious difference in battery life. Also like the bigger screen.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
5th GenTexan.....I agree. I got my daughter the iPhone 5 when everybody was getting the iPhone6. Saved us a lot of money.
If Blackberry had a 2016 model that was almost like the 2017 one I put videos of, I'd strongly consider that. But there is no 2016....it's buy the new one or forget it ;)

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
UPDATE.....
I went to T-Mobile today...'cause they are my carrier.
T-Mobile does not carry the Blackberry KEYone and I would have to purchase it from Best Buy at a whopping $540 and then pay T-Mobile $26.72 for a SIM Card.
Forget that!! :mad: Too much money! :eek:
I'm GOING TO GET THIS:
"LG STYLO 3 PLUS" :)
$225
Instead of paying that all at once, T-Mobile will allow the monthly installments.....I'll pay $9 a month.
It has a stylus pen to make pinpoint entries easier.
Texting will be easier.
I'm excited! :D

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
I like it a lot! If any flip phone users have been following this thread....or in the future will see this thread.
Don't be afraid to abandon your flip phone and switch to a smart phone. With a little guidance from others, I can do it!
...if I can do , so can you.
Steve

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It's a solid phone. I've got one on site at AKL right now and love it. Much better battery longevity than the LG v10 I replaced. Glad that you're a Tmo customer, Ive built stuff for them for a couple of decades across the USA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom