Missed memories. Miss Memories? Nah, mismemories.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
You went to Disney as a very young kid along with your parents. You rode something and remembered it...or so you thought. You think about the ride in the next years or so following and can't wait to do it again. But, alas. When you get to the place where you remembered the ride being, it isn't there.

"What happened to it? And wait, why does the other ride have elements from the ride I remembered riding, but I don't remember riding the ride I am currently riding."

Do you have mismemories of something you rode at Disney World?

I have a good example of this myself. From my 'childhood memory', there was this cool restaurant where you could look out of these portholes and see ride vehicles pass by this underwater cavern.

Unfortunately, what I actually remember was eating at a regular indoor Disney restaurant (no look out portholes), AND crisscrossing that with the ride Horizons with the girl looking out of the porthole in the underwater living scene.

So, boo. There is mine. You guys have any good mismeories you'd like to share?

P.S. Please be nice peeps. This is just for funzies. ;)

grim-grinning_toast

-waits impatiently for the King Louie & Jungle Cruise guy to show up-

I could have sworn to the Gods above that I remember Drew Carey riding in a car town Main Street. I'm not sure if he was actually in a parade at MGM, or if I was just combining my memories of Sounds Dangerous to a parade on Main Street. But I still remember it that way! Even though I know it didn't happen.

ppete1975

I remember Journey to imagination being a lot of fun and there was this old guy and a dragon and everyone was singing.... then there was all of these things to do afterwards in the same building including a rainbow tunnel (I must have been really dreaming), I remember how cool it was to see the glass roof and how the inside of the building was super cool... then I played in the spitting fountains... saw the old man and a purple dragon puppet... and there were toys of him everywhere..... It was all in this magical world with a two story gift shop with no mickey mouse. But I went back to epcot recently and my memory must have been really off.. because none of that's there and what is, is so much worse.

ppete1975

honestly I was little the last time I had been to imagination, and was so excited with all of these memories. When we went back a few years ago, I thought my memory was playing tricks on me. I then researched when I got back home and realized everything I remembered was on the second floor.... now closed.
511b3220.jpg

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
I remember Journey to imagination being a lot of fun and there was this old guy and a dragon and everyone was singing.... then there was all of these things to do afterwards in the same building including a rainbow tunnel (I must have been really dreaming), I remember how cool it was to see the glass roof and how the inside of the building was super cool... then I played in the spitting fountains... saw the old man and a purple dragon puppet... and there were toys of him everywhere..... It was all in this magical world with a two story gift shop with no mickey mouse. But I went back to epcot recently and my memory must have been really off.. because none of that's there and what is, is so much worse.
giphy.gif

Seems we had the same mismemory of what was once a wonderful ride

lazyboy97o

This is Disneyland, but here it goes:

I understood that the Submarine Voyage was on a track but still thought it went underwater inside the caverns. I was terrified of the ride breaking and being stuck deep below the surface.

My earliest memory of riding Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is mixed up with footage of the Mine Train through Nature’s Wonderland from Disneyland / Wonderful World of Color.

danyoung56

I have a friend who was just telling me about this cool show in DL where all the presidents sat, and some of them spoke. I of course told him that this is the Hall of Presidents in the MK, and it's never been in DL. The only thing like it in DL would be Lincoln. But he swore it wasn't Lincoln but all the presidents, and he'd seen it on Main Street many years ago. I couldn't talk him out of it. And to make matters worse, he's never been to Florida!

Phonedave

I dont think it is a mismemory, but more of an absent memory. I remember when we went to MK and EPCOT as a kid for the first time (thats all there was back then)

I clearly remember parking in the lot for EPCOT and taking the tram up to tront and walking in.

I also remember paking in the MK lot, taking the tram and then ...... somehow I am in the MK. I have no recollection at all of ever taking the ferry or monorail to the gates of the MK. To this day, I don't know how we got there. If I didn't know better, I would have swore we walked to the gates from the parking lot.

-dave

castlecake2.0

I dont think it is a mismemory, but more of an absent memory. I remember when we went to MK and EPCOT as a kid for the first time (thats all there was back then)

I clearly remember parking in the lot for EPCOT and taking the tram up to tront and walking in.

I also remember paking in the MK lot, taking the tram and then ...... somehow I am in the MK. I have no recollection at all of ever taking the ferry or monorail to the gates of the MK. To this day, I don't know how we got there. If I didn't know better, I would have swore we walked to the gates from the parking lot.

-dave

I think at one point when WDW first opened they did use trams sometimes from the TTC to the main entrance because there wasn't enough capacity sometimes with the ferry/monorail? I read that somewhere.

This isn't my mis memory but happened to me:

I was seating a party at Le Cellier and on our way down the ramp into the dining room a child in the party started yelling "NO I DONT LIKE PIRATES!!!" And wouldn't come down into the dining room. I looked at the parents and they explained to me that he had a small freak out on pirates yesterday and thought Le Cellier was the POTC entrance. Several Mickey stickers later he was fine poor kid haha.

TwilightZone

I remember clearly going to the "bronze" version of tomorrowland, but there is one problem, it was renovated in 06. I would have been too little to go to disneyland when bronze tomorrowland was a thing. Unless I did went when I was that little and I managed to somehow remember it.

KraftServices

-dave

Same here! I pretty much always forget you don't ride the trams right up to the entrance of MK.

I also for the live of me can never place Adventureland in MK. I remember it as Tomorrowland being immediately on the right at the end of Main Street, and the left meandering into Fantasyland, with Adventureland existing in a pocket dimension in the back somewhere.

FettFan

I've got two false memories:

1. The giant microscope from "Adventure Thru Inner Space" somehow popping up inside Spaceship Earth's load area.
Here's the weird thing though: ATIS never made it to the east coast....and I've never been to Disneyland.
Even weirder, even if I HAD been to Disneyland, ATIS closed in September 1985....and I was only born in March 1984, so I wouldn't have had any memory of it whatsoever.
The only thing I can think is that I saw ATIS featured on the Disney Channel on a Wonderful World of Color rerun as a child (woohoo Disney Nighttime/Vault Disney!), then dreamed that it was somehow inside Spaceship Earth.

2. I also distinctly remember "Magic Journeys" being played in one of the gift shops on Main Street USA on an oversized screen similar to what you'd find at a Disney Store. The only parts I remember were the "Trick or Treat Smell My Feet" part where the kids were riding carousel horses and the witch popping up to shoot lightning.
From all that I've seen and read, Magic Journeys only played in the Fantasyland space that currently houses Mickey's Philarmagic.
Once again, I'm attributing this to a dream....obviously I saw Magic Journeys at Fantasyland, then afterwards dreamed it being in a gift shop.

TwilightZone

Oh here's another one that I'm sure exists in some form, just not in the way I remember it. So online a long time ago I remember seeing a poster for alien encounter that had mickey mouse being startled by staring up at the large monster. But I looked it up and it does not exist! The mickey mouse poster must have been for some other attraction that I was mixing up with alien encounter, because I remember thinking how odd of a choice it was to include mickey in the poster when the ride's tone does not fit mickey and could easily scare mickey's main target demographic.

nickys

Premium Member
honestly I was little the last time I had been to imagination, and was so excited with all of these memories. When we went back a few years ago, I thought my memory was playing tricks on me. I then researched when I got back home and realized everything I remembered was on the second floor.... now closed.
511b3220.jpg

It's not actually closed. You just need to join DVC and head up to the member' lounge to see it...... ;)

mitchk

I have a friend who was just telling me about this cool show in DL where all the presidents sat, and some of them spoke. I of course told him that this is the Hall of Presidents in the MK, and it's never been in DL. The only thing like it in DL would be Lincoln. But he swore it wasn't Lincoln but all the presidents, and he'd seen it on Main Street many years ago. I couldn't talk him out of it. And to make matters worse, he's never been to Florida!

That's funny, we took my father in law back in 2007, and he was telling me about how he had saw the hall of presidents before, but it used to be on Main Street, I said Bob, that was Disneyland. He replied no it wasn't, and I said yes, great moments with mister Lincoln, then I got the , o, you might be right...lol

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
I've got two false memories:

1. The giant microscope from "Adventure Thru Inner Space" somehow popping up inside Spaceship Earth's load area.
Here's the weird thing though: ATIS never made it to the east coast....and I've never been to Disneyland.
Even weirder, even if I HAD been to Disneyland, ATIS closed in September 1985....and I was only born in March 1984, so I wouldn't have had any memory of it whatsoever.
The only thing I can think is that I saw ATIS featured on the Disney Channel on a Wonderful World of Color rerun as a child (woohoo Disney Nighttime/Vault Disney!), then dreamed that it was somehow inside Spaceship Earth.
Me too me too!! I thought I somehow rode this at one point, but that would have been totally impossible because it was before my time and we have never been to DisneyLand! I think I too somehow saw the full ride through or something like that on the Disney Channel.

And I sooo miss Vault Disney:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom