News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

ToTBellHop

fcd21e807f2e6f14b0cf03d15b60f680.jpg
And they later built that hideous structure in DCA.

Epcot82Guy

If I recall correctly, that art originated from the big Walt Disney Imagineering coffee table book from the mid-90s, and referred to it as the "Arts & Entertainment Pavilion." I also saw an exchange on Twitter recently that suggested this wasn't ever actually a legitimate project:
https://twitter.com/AnotherVoiceDIS/status/892479385176915969
https://twitter.com/AnotherVoiceDIS/status/892479972270514176
https://twitter.com/AnotherVoiceDIS/status/892480285954023424

I believe that's correct on the art origin (at least in the public eye) - but getting into rusty territory! haha

As for the legitimacy, from the one former insider I know, it had legs at one time. But, as we all know, there are many phases between that and "legitimate project". I would put it somewhere in the "legitimate idea" phase that then fully stalled. I also (personally) think they used it as a reason to bolster why they built Studios so quickly (i.e. that they "had the idea all along") when Uni reared its head in Central Florida. But, again, lots of different versions that could be "correct" or "incorrect" based on perspective and nuance.

Needless to say, even with its flaws, Soarin' was a MUCH better addition than that facade!

raymusiccity

Sorry, but I do NOT want to be preached at by a make-believe bio-engineered racoon with homicidal tendencies, his tree-like buddy with the limited vocabulary, the socially awkward son of an intergalactic egomaniac, his green-skinned girlfriend, their incredibly literal Hulk-wanna-be, or their new touchy-feely friend with the glowing antennae.

I guess you'd rather listen to stupid Judy!

Cmdr_Crimson

It's a shame it was removed several months even before the closure was announced and it did seem rather strange for her to say that she was being attacked by a "Snake-Like" Creature in the film part when both were removed...They could have at least have Jamie Lee Curtis wheel it in for her if they do get it....And she shouldn't be too upset considering another character of her's on the West side of Epcot still..

willtravel

I have not kept up with this thread or the one about the closure of the GMR. But right now I am concerned on how long this new attraction and the new attraction for GMR will happen. This reminds me of closing the back lot tours area .. I truly hope these cuts were not to save money in the short run and will eventually have new attractions built. Having empty buildings in WDW scares me. Again, I don't know much about building attractions, but.....

Launchpad McQuack

I have not kept up with this thread or the one about the closure of the GMR. But right now I am concerned on how long this new attraction and the new attraction for GMR will happen. This reminds me of closing the back lot tours area .. I truly hope these cuts were not to save money in the short run and will eventually have new attractions built. Having empty buildings in WDW scares me. Again, I don't know much about building attractions, but.....

Supposedly there was audible "jackhammering" going on inside the building today, so if that is true, they are at least tearing down the old stuff to make room for the new now.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Sorry, but I do NOT want to be preached at by a make-believe bio-engineered racoon with homicidal tendencies, his tree-like buddy with the limited vocabulary, the socially awkward son of an intergalactic egomaniac, his green-skinned girlfriend, their incredibly literal Hulk-wanna-be, or their new touchy-feely friend with the glowing antennae.

Crap, now I want to re-watch GOTG2 again...such an awesome and fun movie. (I don't want the them in Epcot, but I do LOVE the movie).

About the Ellen thing, interesting she didn't mention how long ago that was (maybe that's so she herself doesn't sound as old). I bet Disney didn't like her jokes very much about the robot.

doctornick

I do hope that whatever the final product of this ride is, that the show elements are significant. The main value in using the GotG as a theme is how entertaining they are -- so if the ride doesn't get to show off the characters and their humor and interactions, then it would seem to be a waste. I am pleasantly surprised how much they were on display for Mission Breakout.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom