Adults only in 2019 - costing advice

KatieEliz88

Hi all,

I'm really excited to get my first proper post out. I'm hoping I can get the answers I need to start planning properly.

So I'm currently trying to get some preliminary costings together for a trip in late 2019 to WDW. We were originally thinking September but this could push into October to increase our chances on being there for Galaxy's Edge opening (any thoughts on this?).

We will hopefully be staying in the deluxe resorts and doing the deluxe dining plan. Now obviously, that doesn't come cheap so that's why I want to try and get some idea of figures together so we can make sure we're putting enough aside each month. Plus, we have other people wanting to come with us and they need to have an idea of cost as well.

I know there are lots of great charts and spreadsheets already available online to look through to get a guide of pricing but I've only been once before about 8 years ago and I didn't pay for that so I've no idea of how Disney prices fluctuate based on events. My concern is whether or not the usual discounts during that time of year will disappear and prices will increase due to Galaxy's Edge opening because it's such a hugely anticipated event.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? Should I just base costing off of consecutive rates and discounts over the past few years for the dates I want or should I expect a big difference?

Many thanks in advance

Katie

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Use the 2018 rack rates, and dinning plan rates to estimate your expenses. I base my budget on what I know now, and if there's discounts, I'm better off, but I budget for non-discounts.

A couple of things to consider:
You can book (by phone) 499 days in advance, that is 499 days from check out, not check-in. Call for the reservation number and you'll lock in the cost with the current year's rates. If and when the discounts come out, you can then call Disney to have it applied to your reservation.
Some resorts like the Polynesian fills up fast, so don't procrastinate :)
The meal program does not include the gratuity, and many sit down meals can be expensive.
There are no slow periods in disney, but there are very busy times, and you'll be going during the food & wine festival, so Epcot will be busy, especially on weekends.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Well Disney hasnt gone down in price. With all the new plans in motion and future plans being discussed and implemented.... you have to expect more increases. No one can predict or guess what the companies outlook and profitability will be in several years that will make the decisions to bump up costs. Disney may or may not offer similar discounts or dining plan offers either. I'd take a look at prices now and use that as a jumping off point and then budget at least 20% more. I always figure out all my trip costs conservatively and then add a buffer on as a goal to save for. By budgeting wisely and saving more we then use that as a way of purchasing more souvenirs or adding on another event or extra. Our trips have usually fallen in the $6k range but you can plan a more luxurious or economical one that suits your plans and ability to save.

Upvote 0

MickeyMomV

Typically prices jump 5% to 10% per year across the board. There will probably be at least 2 sets of increases before fall of 2019. A couple of things to keep in mind. 1st is you can buy your tickets at any time and take advantage of a room discount at a later time. You just won't be able to add on a package (Tickets, dining, and room) at a later time if you do get your tickets now. 2nd is that you can book your room at the 499 days to lock in your room price. This problem is that if you make any changes (add a room only discount or add on any other package) then they apply the current pricing to the room for that time. Depending on when you book and the amount of price increases it is sometimes cheaper to waive the discount.

Deluxe dining = A LOT of food and A LOT of time spent in restaurants, approximately 3 hours per day. If your going with the dining plan then I would recommend the regular dining plan. Have one good sit down meal per day and then take things as they come for the rest of the day.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

When budgeting don't assume on any discounts. Take current costs, and add 10-15%. Once rack rates for a hotel are listed (usually in Aug of the previous year, so Aug 2018 for 2019 rates), they won't change. As a PP mentioned, you can book over the phone before rates come out to lock in your room, but that is usually only necessary for very very high demand times like NYE where you want a specific room class and resort. They might offer discounts, but they don't raise hotel prices. Tickets and dining may increase unless you do a package, but none of that will be tied to an event, rather just price increases. But if they are expecting/observing high occupancy, then discounts may be less or very limited in dates and location. The discounts are offered based on current occupancy levels for a given time, but if the opening of Star Wars drives occupancy levels to 85% (or whatever magical number they want) then WDW won't offer any discounts.

I'd reconsider deluxe dining (or any dining plan for that matter) but especially if you are going to be going for Star Wars, I can't see the crowds and waits for that to mesh well with having 3 pre planned meals a day.

Upvote 0

eliza61nyc

Hi all,

I'm really excited to get my first proper post out. I'm hoping I can get the answers I need to start planning properly.

So I'm currently trying to get some preliminary costings together for a trip in late 2019 to WDW. We were originally thinking September but this could push into October to increase our chances on being there for Galaxy's Edge opening (any thoughts on this?).

We will hopefully be staying in the deluxe resorts and doing the deluxe dining plan. Now obviously, that doesn't come cheap so that's why I want to try and get some idea of figures together so we can make sure we're putting enough aside each month. Plus, we have other people wanting to come with us and they need to have an idea of cost as well.

I know there are lots of great charts and spreadsheets already available online to look through to get a guide of pricing but I've only been once before about 8 years ago and I didn't pay for that so I've no idea of how Disney prices fluctuate based on events. My concern is whether or not the usual discounts during that time of year will disappear and prices will increase due to Galaxy's Edge opening because it's such a hugely anticipated event.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? Should I just base costing off of consecutive rates and discounts over the past few years for the dates I want or should I expect a big difference?

Many thanks in advance

Katie
I'm going to echo everyone else.
1) budget for non discount. having extra cash is good, not budgeting enough is horrible. Always go high and you can't go wrong.
2) Like a previous poster has said, plan on what you know for sure. As much as I love Disney, I've heard so much about star wars land for so long I'm really at the point of "I'll believe it when I see it." lol. If Galaxy's edge is some thing you really want to experience, keep checking to see if the head mousers give out a more concrete date.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

I'd reconsider deluxe dining (or any dining plan for that matter) but especially if you are going to be going for Star Wars, I can't see the crowds and waits for that to mesh well with having 3 pre planned meals a day.
While deluxe dining gives you 3 meal credits per nights stay, which can be used for table or quick service dining, if you are one who likes to eat or plans to eat at many signature dining locations (which use 2 table service credits), deluxe dining can be the proper plan to get. It depends.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom