The Great Movie Ride Projects/Announcements

mickeyfan5534

Thanks for a great season - and best of luck to Pixar Studios in the finale!
Ditto and best of luck to you as well. Both teams are delivering two very different parks but both are extremely special and we've really put our hearts into this challenge. We're all putting in something we're proud of which, for parks that were made in two weeks, is actually a challenge.

FigmentPigments

Try like the last 3 days:hungover:

Fantastic job with Disneyland Greece! And you're right -- two very different parks, with probably very different budgets as well. Eh, Greece is in debt anyway so why not at least make it worth it with a massive new Disney Resort.:p
Ha! You're telling me! It's like pulling teeth to get them to pay their invoices. Once, their order sat in my warehouse for four months because they couldn't pay their bill and they just completely cut off communications with me. They can be a very frustrating customer at times. :banghead:

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
Ditto and best of luck to you as well. Both teams are delivering two very different parks but both are extremely special and we've really put our hearts into this challenge. We're all putting in something we're proud of which, for parks that were made in two weeks, is actually a challenge.

Try like the last 3 days:hungover:

Fantastic job with Disneyland Greece! And you're right -- two very different parks, with probably very different budgets as well. Eh, Greece is in debt anyway so why not at least make it worth it with a massive new Disney Resort.:p

Both Studios should be ridiculously proud of their efforts. I've only scratched the surface of the projects so have a decent amount of study ahead, but wow. But then, you've put out some really unique and amazing works all season so I'm not really surprised. I like that both went on two totally different directions too. Makes for very interesting viewing!

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
DisneyDad Scene 7 Reviews​
So to begin, thank you all for the tremendous work, time and effort put into the 7 projects this season. There were a lot of fun ideas pitched and proposed and several projects from the challenges that I found to be unique, at least from my time here, to forum at large. Again, well done to you all. On to the finale!
I'm going to try my reviews a little different this week for the final project. Just based on the size and scope, and work, I could ramble for days. I want to try and keep it as organized as possible so i'll break it up into section with observations about different aspects of the park, the challenge, etc. First up. Pixar Studios!

Disneyland Greece​
Greece was a very interesting choice to place a new park. I didn't see any particular reasoning for the choice but I could see good and bad with it. It would be a very different environ and locale then any other Disney park. You also have centuries of history around you, and I liked that you took some of those local influences and worked them into portions of the park like Kingdom of Fantasy and the Fantasmic show (sounded very enjoyable by the way). I imagine you could find some to tap into the Mediterranean cruise market as well. It would be a little concerning that the Greek government and economy is still not the best though their credit rating has improved slightly this year. I also wonder about the potential for tapping into consistent visitors. Greece has a population about a 1/6 the size of France, and while you're still reeling in tourists to this beautiful country, that does give me some pause. Of course being close to Eastern Europe may open more access potentially to populous Istanbul which is a 3-4 hour flight away.

Park backstory
I loved the theme of your park, Unlocking your dreams and Imagination. While I was a big fan of just about every project during the GMR, Dream Mountain was one that I thought was very creative, especially how you took that prompt in a new direction not expected. An inspired choice to use as the basis for your park. The initial blurb was a nice mission statement type piece and your extra little write up with the Imagination Pavilion tying in Greece fit well. Would have loved to see a little more about dream/imagination snuck into each of your land intros like you did with it and the Pixar land. That would have really helped fit it all together even more. Nice use of the entertainment with the show, parade, etc. continuing the theme.

Artwork
Really appreciated the effort and production of both the park layout and land layouts. Knowing you all, i'm sure you would have wanted to produce some finely finished art based on some of your production this season. I will say though I like the early concept looking style. It has a cool look to it and with a park about dreams and imagination, gives an early look at what's being imagined for this park, so it works. All of the labels, etc were super helpful

Presentation/Marketing
A perfect time and project to pull out the website useage. Everything on the site was laid out nicely and easily read. Three of the headers got placed under the home tab apart from the others but I'm assuming that was just a label space thing, so no big deal. I can tell a good bit of effort in piecing that altogether so very nice job. The only thing I could not locate was any info about Surrealist Street. Would be interested to see how you'd market this park to community at large (commercials, ads, posters, etc.)

Lands/Attractions
A lot to absorb here. First of all, nice job fitting all 6 of your projects into the park and your choice of the Poly flowed perfectly with Adventure Archipelago. You guys really went all out with your attractions not solely on cloning rides from the Disney universe. One thing I loved is how you went back and brought to life some of your unused attractions from earlier in the season. I always enjoy team brainstorming with the back and forth and decision making and seeing sometimes what doesn't make the cut. Very cool that your attractions like The Incredibles and the Mariannas Trench that you almost went with in earlier challenges, were brought to life for the finale. Each of the lands and attractions you provided has merit, though I wonder if there's almost too much park?. This is a pretty extensive offering of attractions, etc. Are you planning this in phases? Even then, i'm almost still a little worried it might be a little too big for the Greek location. There are a great number of really cool offerings here, ones any WDW fan would envy.

Write up
Very solid write up throughout the presentation. There was the occasional minor grammatical error but with as much as you needed to put into this, I won't red ink you too bad. :) There was just enough there for some of the new attractions for me to get the gist. It's only a minor thing, but some of your projects from the season that were used did have reference to WDW parks instead of the new Disneyland Greece.

Conclusion
I know i'm leaving some things out, even with all of that, but wanted to touch on as many of the items as I could, as I think I owe it to both teams to recognize the work they put in. I really enjoyed this park. I think the idea is a solid one and there is a great deal of potential with your attraction lineup. I had some concerns about location, size and some of the backstory and marketing elements, but I could see this being a really beautiful park. You have many great design & show elements with the land backdrops chosen that guests really can let their imaginations run wild. Thank you again Pixar Studios for an outstanding final project and season.

Up next...
Marvel Studios

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
Marvel Studios​
As with Pixar Studios, thank you to the superheroes at Marvel Studios for their feats of strength, perseverance and overall Avengerness this season on the GMR. Great work all season!

Disney's Pioneer Adventure
Bold and unexpected move going to an existing Disney location and Orlando no less. I'm not sure what I have to say about Orlando that everyone here doesn't already know. Amazingly, even with all the work done, being done and coming to WDW, they still aren't changing the actual capacity of the World all that much, if at all, which is mind boggling. I don't know how realistic it is that the powers that be would actually add a 5th gate in Orlando, but then again I don't know what world market they would ever see worthwhile from a brand perspective either. I know that plot of land gets brought up, but appreciate the definitive spot for your park.

Park backstory
A dedication, a detailed backstory, construction timelines and future expansion. You all really put some good details into the making of the park. If only the GMR was an internal WDI project! I waffled a little back and forth on the idea and cohesion with the plan. You had to do something to fit your attractions together . I liked though that you gave a backstory that flowed right into your park. Your story was a good link to the kinds of things that most of us don't hear, the hows and whys attractions, etc are built,or not built, unless one of the wdwmagic insiders clues us in. A good way to lead into why this was all put together.

Artwork
So you guys had a ton of original artwork with your park which is great. I know some of it was from this season and several from some past projects that you dusted off. Some really great new artwork added in though by @MonorailRed ,especially how you went back and even added to some of your old Scene 1-6 projects. The park layouts provided a basic idea of the plan, were a good a obviously for a project of this scale and were easily read.

Presentation/Marketing
The D23 presentation idea was a nice touch. This was a good addition to your backstory as well. I know you were pressed for time, but would've loved to see a website or something to present it all. Having your own thread did help separate it out. Also would've like to have seen an idea of how you'd advertise this to both the WDW and non-WDW crowds.

Lands/attractions
First of all, kudos for not only using all of your 6 projects, but working to get your 2nd resort and 2 other projects from the GMR season in. That ended up being a huge chunk of your opening day park. I really loved the idea of all that water in your park. You have a great number of iconic, large sets to work with your attractions, and I think the water views would really enhance that. I love looking across the water at Epcot at the countries. Very interesting idea to make the park entrance through your other resort, but it did go with your theming and would be a change of pace from the other 4 parks which I think would be a must if this was your spot. I thought the layout as a whole was pretty good. There is a good early mix of attractions. Many of the lands would flow fairly well into each other, like Indy to BP. While I love the Renaissance (several years of European History and Art History under my belt back in the day), I wasn't entirely crazy about including it hear, but I see where you were going with it. It felt a little out of place to me, but that's just personal opinion. I liked that you had an expansion plan too. Some like BH6, Muppets and even Hunchback as a piggyback to the Renaissance area would be good areas to add.

Write up
Lots of great detail describing the park, setting the stage for the park, and all the attractions current, borrowed, repurposed. You covered a good bit of ground and really appreciate the thought that went into this in the short amount of time.

Conclusion
This was an unexpected park for me. If there was a new gate done by either of you, didn't think Orlando would be it. All in all, a very, very good project and park to enjoy. A few things I would have liked to have seen like the presentation, maybe swapping out a land, and how this fits the WDW landscape with 4 other parks around besides crowd disbursement, but a really fun and interesting read. As with Pixar, thank you Marvel. it's been a pleasure looking through all of your projects this season!

spacemt354

Chili's
This is insane. And I mean that in the best possible way. I can't really properly critique anything right now because my brain is still trying to jam all of this info into itself.

Wow. A fifth gate that actually feels like a complete park AND is cohesive. Dude. Like, seventy-three thumbs up!!
Thank you for the kind words! And to Disney Dad as well!

I'll mention this to Disney Dad too as I think he picked up on it in his review, but with the future expansion section and the theme of re-purposing past projects for the finale -- I thought it would be fun to go back to old projects that myself and @MonorailRed had done together over the years on here and try to spruce them up as easter eggs at the end :)

It was more of a fun way to end the season with a bang and less of actually counting towards custom art scores and/or content. I was going make a works cited for it so newer members can go back to view the past ideas in full, but then I just ran out of time. And also reading through Disneyland Greece I noticed Red's Cinderella Chateau art and another art piece from House Cup in the Kingdom of Fantasy, so I think that theme for the challenge worked well and brought back some nostalgia from past projects in GMR and before all in one!

mickeyfan5534

It was more of a fun way to end the season with a bang and less of actually counting towards custom art scores and/or content. I was going make a works cited for it so newer members can go back to view the past ideas in full, but then I just ran out of time. And also reading through Disneyland Greece I noticed Red's Cinderella Chateau art and another art piece from House Cup in the Kingdom of Fantasy, so I think that theme for the challenge worked well and brought back some nostalgia from past projects in GMR and before all in one!
More than an art piece. And yes Red's Cinderella Chateau art was in there. Too good to not recycle. In fact, quite a few things ended up recycled on my end.

spacemt354

Chili's
More than an art piece. And yes Red's Cinderella Chateau art was in there. Too good to not recycle. In fact, quite a few things ended up recycled on my end.
I think @KingOfEpicocity might have drawn one of those? It looks like his art style if I'm remembering right. Either way - being able to read through Disneyland Greece more in-depth -- it was a very fleshed out park! And the land sketches (from @D Hindley ?) were top notch!

mickeyfan5534

I think @KingOfEpicocity might have drawn one of those? It looks like his art style if I'm remembering right. Either way - being able to read through Disneyland Greece more in-depth -- it was a very fleshed out park! And the land sketches (from @D Hindley ?) were top notch!
D Hindley originals! I'd have to go all the way back to find who made the Fantasyland art.

D Hulk

Well identified, Space, I did those land sketches. @Disney Dad 3000 was correct that I'd've preferred getting them more polished, but they were all done very very quickly last Saturday (some in the literal 11th hour) only after all the land writeups were available to refer to.

Disney's Pioneer Adventure is a fascinating park, partly for how much it's unlike Disneyland Greece, and how different the presentations were too. It's neat to guess who contributed what (Red's drawings are easy to ID), and to see how a group concept can cohere.

Other than Club 32, this is my first group Imagineering effort, which has its own unique challenges. Our top projects are stronger for the multiple perspectives informing them. This has been a neat adventure!

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
It's easy. If it sounds incredible it was most likely @spacemt354 ! He was killing it with this project!! We would have been dead in the water without him!!
You helped out as well! - stepping up big in your first competition when so many players on Marvel was plagued with school, life, among other things. So kudos to you too!
Well identified, Space, I did those land sketches. @Disney Dad 3000 was correct that I'd've preferred getting them more polished, but there were all done very very quickly last Saturday (some in the literal 11th hour) only after all the land writeups were available to refer to.

Disney's Pioneer Adventure is a fascinating park, partly for how much it's unlike Disneyland Greece, and how different the presentations were too. It's neat to guess who contributed what (Red's drawings are easy to ID), and to see how a group concept can cohere.

Other than Club 32, this is my first group Imagineering effort, which has its own unique challenges. Our top projects are stronger for the multiple perspectives informing them. This has been a neat adventure!
Thank you! And glad you had a good time in your first team competition. For quick art those sketches are pretty impressive! Maybe for future team projects we should have a little note underneath who did each art piece or concept? Then again, it's also fun to guess:D

D Hulk

You helped out as well! - stepping up big in your first competition when so many players on Marvel was plagued with school, life, among other things. So kudos to you too!

Thank you! And glad you had a good time in your first team competition. For quick art those sketches are pretty impressive! Maybe for future team projects we should have a little note underneath who did each art piece or concept? Then again, it's also fun to guess:D
The guessing is fun. I like to think each member of Team Pixar brought different goodness to the table, and we tried to utilize our different skill sets each week. Some were great brainstormers, some could bring it home, or do queues, music, scripts, etc. I don't want to name individuals and then forget someone else. All were great!

I do want to highlight @FigmentPigments, however, for simultaneously making it through the finale of Theme Park Apprentice way off on an enemy website (my first time hosting a comp). Here she is in the final challenge totally fixing Walt Disney Studios Park, and I highly recommend you all check it out! Her competitor Kenny has a fantastic proposal too. It's a shame, @spacemt354, that you couldn't continue with TPA due to GMR, though the quality you put out for Marvel justifies your choice.

spacemt354

Chili's
The guessing is fun. I like to think each member of Team Pixar brought different goodness to the table, and we tried to utilize our different skill sets each week. Some were great brainstormers, some could bring it home, or do queues, music, scripts, etc. I don't want to name individuals and then forget someone else. All were great!

I do want to highlight @FigmentPigments, however, for simultaneously making it through the finale of Theme Park Apprentice way off on an enemy website (my first time hosting a comp). Here she is in the final challenge totally fixing Walt Disney Studios Park, and I highly recommend you all check it out! Her competitor Kenny has a fantastic proposal too. It's a shame, @spacemt354, that you couldn't continue with TPA due to GMR, though the quality you put out for Marvel justifies your choice.
I really wish I could have as well - especially with the finale project being about WDS which is something I've been trying to get going in the Euro Disney thread here! I don't know how Figment did it - but major props to her for being able to balance GMR, TPA, and mostly all the One Sentence Contest in the same time-frame. If there's an Iron-Imagineer award, she's winning it!

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom