Grand Avenue and Baseline Tap House

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This all just appears to be a temporary area to me. It's a holding point until they get the green light to demo Indy, retheme star tours and build a land there.
They could keep this area as the transition between that new land and SW Land once it's built. They don't need to since they won't have a transition area between Toy Story and SW now but if they consider this side to be the main entrance to SW Land they may want to keep a buffer area.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
There will be hate, I know, from me saying this.... But I think Muppet Vision 3D would be so much better if they re-filmed the entire thing today! Updates, modernizing a bit, better CGI for that one character...

If the actual film + audio was completely upgraded... Re-filmed.. Re-recorded... It would help it so much! That's really the biggest and only problem with the attraction. That's what makes it feel so dated.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There will be hate, I know, from me saying this.... But I think Muppet Vision 3D would be so much better if they re-filmed the entire thing today! Updates, modernizing a bit, better CGI for that one character...

If the actual film + audio was completely upgraded... Re-filmed.. Re-recorded... It would help it so much! That's really the biggest and only problem with the attraction. That's what makes it feel so dated.
No hate for that. I agree it could use an update. Now if you suggested replacing the Muppets with Frozen princesses or something Marvel then I'd grab my pitch fork;)

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member

Waldo is the problem. Pure and simple.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Waldo is awful and obnoxious. I also don't care for it becoming about Bean and looking for him. The rest is just fine and enjoyable.

Bean is the worst.

The Muppet cast is already filled will sad-sack outcasts who annoy others. Miss Piggy, Sam Eagle, and Fozzie work because they get their comeuppance. The others are pathetic. There was no need to introduce a Scooter Jr.

Waldo had the potential to be an Aladdin's Genie, but they went with the annoying voice instead of good characterization.

Wonder if WDW would ever consider the cost of a new film in order to revitalize attendance. But, hey, when SWGE opens, it wont' matter, the theater will be packed every performance because of the crowds.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Tuesday, August 22. Close up of additional faux brickwork in the second story corner between the Tap House and the yellow building.

IMG_9977.JPG

El_Tomato

Hey, @marni1971, hope you can answer this (totally understand if you can't): what will happen to this section of Grand Avenue? Will they use some sort of painted background (as they had in the old SoA) to hide the soundstages from view? Or will they stay visible from the ground as a "don't look this way, obviously backstage" kinda thing?
IMG_2442.JPG
IMG_2443.JPG

(pics by bioreconstruct on Twitter)

Last edited:

rocketraccoon

Welcome Los Angeles. These photos are gonna be all over the place in brightness and grainy-ness because I'm a fool. Smaller images since there's more of them this time.

IfaFwuJ.jpg

New lamps, curtains, and a removal of the Coke sign over the yellow building.

MM7R2gU.jpg

Go a bit higher and see part of the new wall between Grand Avenue and Grand Park, as well as a glimpse of the continuing of the yellow building's paint job.

SeTbOup.jpg

The new gate is receiving brick on this end. The other is bare concrete.

xWNLRfm.jpg

The old sign's stain is slowly fading away.

3ORisjC.jpg

Fn1m5hn.jpg

bLZyeGe.jpg

All the buildings have received nice new curtains. Will they get gross from the rain? Probably.

aAALWNy.jpg

EgGpQUY.jpg

Plenty of construction equipment in the area.

zXd9Zjm.jpg

GQsnVpn.jpg

The yellow building will have a display of what I believe is either a dressmaker or a tailor.

CC9ClXs.jpg

SdEBKys.jpg

Z1HPJxn.jpg

The middle building will get a display for "Mercado Garcia Sisters", a catering company, and "Sprin(g) Flower Market", a flower store. The window in the middle formerly had an ad for DVC. You can also see the reflection of a Coca Cola logo. Wonder if it's the sign from the yellow building.

cwhCwyL.jpg

Just a closeup of a light, also showing where the Coke sign's anchors were covered up.

34i7Eps.jpg

The far left building has "Harmo(nic?) Music", some form of music store I think.

zX0wT6h.jpg

Probably related to the music store. Maybe a pawn shop.

Not much to see in the Baseline Tap House area.

Saw another blogger/photographer taking photos of the area when I was heading to PizzeRizzo. Wonder where he posted his pictures.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hey, @marni1971, hope you can answer this (totally understand if you can't): what will happen to this section of Grand Avenue? Will they use some sort of painted background (as they had in the old SoA) to hide the soundstages from view? Or will they stay visible from the ground as a "don't look this way, obviously backstage" kinda thing?
View attachment 225396 View attachment 225397
I've no idea!

TP2000

Welcome Los Angeles. These photos are gonna be all over the place in brightness and grainy-ness because I'm a fool. Smaller images since there's more of them this time.

IfaFwuJ.jpg

Los Angeles? I live in Orange County, California and drive into downtown LA a few times a year. I don't see anything there that is unique to any current Los Angeles neighborhood I've ever seen. It just appears to be three connected buildings that are an Anytown USA kind of vibe.

I imagine WDI will stencil names on doors and prop out the fake window displays with self-reverential decor that "pays homage" to some fabricated Los Angeles backstory, in the way only self-reverential Imagineers of the 21st century seem able to do for themselves. But you could do the same thing with stencils and window displays and make it "downtown Seattle" or "downtown St. Louis" or "downtown Charlotte" just as easily.

Does @marni1971 or anyone know what exactly makes this streetscape evocative of downtown Los Angeles? I'm afraid I'm just not seeing it. o_O

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom