News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

ChewbaccaYourMum

The post load and launch area could be interesting.

Pretty disappointing to me. I was really hoping for a Mummy type ride with GoTG with show scenes and coaster. The whole point of using the Guardians in a ride is their funny banter with eachother. I think it worked great in Mission Breakout with the scenes in-between drops.

Just sad they're not going to use that type of stuff during this ride and only in the queue and launch possibly.

Sounds like it's going to be RnRC 2.0 just using Star-lords mix tape instead of Aerosmith.

Wow.

TROR

The whole point of using the Guardians in a ride is their funny banter with eachother. I think it worked great in Mission Breakout with the scenes in-between drops.
Really? I didn't feel like it worked at all. Unless you're familiar with the characters before hand, nothing makes any sense on the ride. Heck, even being familiar with the characters nothing makes sense on the ride. The snippets are only four seconds in length each and it's just... stuff happening. No set up. No joke. Just stuff being thrown around or someone falling over or being hit. It's a mess, frankly.

ChewbaccaYourMum

Really? I didn't feel like it worked at all. Unless you're familiar with the characters before hand, nothing makes any sense on the ride. Heck, even being familiar with the characters nothing makes sense on the ride. The snippets are only four seconds in length each and it's just... stuff happening. No set up. No joke. Just stuff being thrown around or someone falling over or being hit. It's a mess, frankly.
I love the MCU and the two Guardians movies and of course the characters. I don't know what you were riding, but I was laughing and singing along to the music the whole time, having a blast. Maybe I'm a bit biased though, who knows?

TROR

I love the MCU and the two Guardians movies and of course the characters. I don't know what you were riding, but I was laughing and singing along to the music the whole time, having a blast. Maybe I'm a bit biased though, who knows?

I love the first Guardians film (my second favorite MCU movie) and just got around to watching Vol. 2 the other night which I enjoyed as well. They're both such fun films with a lot of great creatures, characters, and worlds and I just don't feel like Mission Breakout really shows off these things at all. Something more like Star Tours would suit an attraction for it much better imo. Hopefully this upcoming coaster can at least do some justice to the franchise but Mission Breakout does not capture anything I like about the film, personally.

EricsBiscuit

I could care less that the attraction has cool queue, pre and post show elements. What people wait for is the ride itself. Everything else should be supplementary to the experience. Cardboard cutouts? 4 year construction time frame? Yikes. If I moved at that pace in my business it'd be a goner!

Edit: I'm talking about GotG

Last edited:

matt9112

That depends highly on the ride in question. If you told me id have a 30 minute wait to ride RnRC, Forbidden Journey, Star Tours, or Soarin, id be perfectly fine with that as i love those rides and they offer me a pretty fun experience. If you told me i had to wait 30 minutes for Ellen or Figment i'd laugh at you.

if it's over 20 I don't wait. period.

on a side note how's the back of this show building going to look? good monorail sight lines ;)

Amidala

Kind of torn on this...at least the Tron coaster doesn't completely mimic RnR, because of its strong theming and unique ride vehicles. I still would have preferred an E-Ticket unique to MK (especially since this is the first we're getting since Splash) but can definitely see how this kind of attraction would make Tomorrowland feel more dynamic, and it looks fun.

I don't like the MCU GotG but I've been trying to go into this unbiased, but it is starting to sound like an RnR copy–an indoor launch coaster, probably of about the same speed and duration, and probably with music playing from speakers. I'm sure the coaster will look and feel differently to some extent, but Disney can't compete with the variety and intensity of coasters at other parks, so it seems silly to try, especially when the top speed of Disney's most intense coasters would be considered mild elsewhere. What Disney does best is pushing the envelope on theming and immersion, and while I'm trying to stay positive about this...it doesn't feel like GotG will achieve that. I don't mind Disney pushing to add some thrill rides to its parks, but overall am a little disappointed that Tron and Ratatouille are both being imported and none of the attractions will combine thrills with immersion (and AAs, screens, etc.) to the extent that rides like RotM, Splash and Journey to the Center of the Earth do.

TBH I'm less upset that UoE is gone, and more concerned that this will be its successor.

Bender123

Kind of torn on this...at least the Tron coaster doesn't completely mimic RnR, because of its strong theming and unique ride vehicles. I still would have preferred an E-Ticket unique to MK (especially since this is the first we're getting since Splash) but can definitely see how this kind of attraction would make Tomorrowland feel more dynamic, and it looks fun.

I don't like the MCU GotG but I've been trying to go into this unbiased, but it is starting to sound like an RnR copy–an indoor launch coaster, probably of about the same speed and duration, and probably with music playing from speakers. I'm sure the coaster will look and feel differently to some extent, but Disney can't compete with the variety and intensity of coasters at other parks, so it seems silly to try, especially when the top speed of Disney's most intense coasters would be considered mild elsewhere. What Disney does best is pushing the envelope on theming and immersion, and while I'm trying to stay positive about this...it doesn't feel like GotG will achieve that. I don't mind Disney pushing to add some thrill rides to its parks, but overall am a little disappointed that Tron and Ratatouille are both being imported and none of the attractions will combine thrills with immersion (and AAs, screens, etc.) to the extent that rides like RotM, Splash and Journey to the Center of the Earth do.

TBH I'm less upset that UoE is gone, and more concerned that this will be its successor.

If they could do a ride like 7DMT, but make it a 10 minute experience, I would be all for this. The problem with the current model for Disney thrill rides, is that you either get a long ride that is immersive or you get a short ride that is thrilling.

Rides like Splash are thrilling, long and immersive. If they could manage to do a ride that combines coaster and dark ride in the same way Splash did, I would be 100% behind this. Seven Dwarves is a great ride, but it is far too short on Dark Ride and far too short on the thrill part. Triple the length/dark ride elements it and you have something special.

ChewbaccaYourMum

If they could do a ride like 7DMT, but make it a 10 minute experience, I would be all for this. The problem with the current model for Disney thrill rides, is that you either get a long ride that is immersive or you get a short ride that is thrilling.

Rides like Splash are thrilling, long and immersive. If they could manage to do a ride that combines coaster and dark ride in the same way Splash did, I would be 100% behind this. Seven Dwarves is a great ride, but it is far too short on Dark Ride and far too short on the thrill part. Triple the length/dark ride elements it and you have something special.
This is EXACTLY what I was thinking GoTG would be. Literally the best opportunity for Disney to make a ride like this and finally outdo Universal with their Mummy dark ride/coaster.

Amidala

100%. Pretty neutral on Tron, but really had hoped MK's newest E-Ticket would be as revolutionary as Splash (even if Splash was a DL duplicate at the time). Well...maybe by the 50th plans will emerge for something along those lines. It's nice to dream!

Kman101

I think I've sort of just become numb to what they do anymore so I don't let any of it really bother me. I kind of expect to be let down by the decisions they make for WDW. Not everything has been, some have been nice surprises (if we get characters in Epcot, Rat is a decent fit, I'll have fun on Tron and the two TSL rides, SW will probably be a home run, Pandora was visually well done and FOP was fantastic, Happily Ever After really surprised me, Festival of Fantasy is a nice updated parade ...) but hearing about the lackluster Guardians plans and the only E-Ticket MK gets is another coaster is a bit of a let down (but the MK getting a theater is a nice surprise). Losing GMR was a huge let down but I had plenty of time to numb myself towards it ... I fully expected them to go years without a new night parade ...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Disregarding the IP for a moment and focusing on the type of ride... it kinda makes sense to make a more thrilling launch coaster in Epcot. WDW's longest lines have almost always been the coasters (and Peter Pan). And the one park without a coaster is Epcot. Now, should it be a special coaster with scenes and slow downs like a ramped up Gringott's, 7D, or Mummy? Sure. But, I can't begrudge the decision to put a coaster in Epcot when you look at the guests' obvious desire to ride them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom