The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

Yeah, not bad at all. Actually, if I go pretty much anywhere with them, they subsidise. Stuff I do on my own or with friends...not so much. So my Disneyland trip I paid for, as well as my SC trip, but they paid for WDW in January and they buy my food here. I figure once I'm making more, they'll ask me to buy my own food. But I can't see them ever asking me to contribute to the room.
Well the room costs the same with or without you, doesn't it? So if they are paying for it anyway, I would assume they don't need that contribution.

Songbird76

Yea, that sounds like it would, indeed, be interesting. Not for the drama factor, but, just to know. So much is lost to time and history, however. The most we have been able to dig up on either DWifey or my family (including her family all the way back to the Revolutionary War) that was a bit dramatic, was a great, great uncle on my pops side that was a huckster. He was apparently a master of scr**ing people out of their property, and then turning it for a huge profit. Black sheep, indeed. Definitely not the family norm.
I really love learning about how other people live, so history and culture are some of my favorites...I also love learning about psychology...why people do what they do, etc. I want to learn so much more about all my ancestors. Somewhere along the road, the e got dropped from the end of my maiden name. Apparently there was an argument and one part of the family dropped the e to distinguish themselves from the other...I wonder if it was during the revolutionary war. That's the kind of thing I would just love to be able to look up and learn about.

Songbird76

As for the eclipse stuff here is a CNN article about looking at the sun during the eclipse.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/10/health/how-to-safely-watch-the-eclipse/index.html

Think about it this way, you wouldn't normally stare at the sun because it hurts our eyes, even on sunny days if the sun gets in our eyes we squint, shield our eyes, wear sunglasses, but you still avert your eyes so it isn't going directly in your eyes. But on eclipse days the sun is "darkened" making it easier to look at, meaning it is easier to look at and once it is then out of totality your eye doesn't adjust always in time allowing exposure to the harmful rays. So in a way it is more tempting to look at the sun because it is shaded.

I have glasses but I still haven't decided if I'm going to trust them enough to look. My biggest fear is going blind so I try to do what I can to preserve my eyesight. I might make a box and watch what I can with that. It might be cloudy by me and I might not have to worry about it anyway.

I only remember one other solar eclipse, and again where I live we didn't see it in totality probably saw about 80% of it like we are expected to see it tomorrow. Anyway, I was in 2nd grade and we made solar eclipse boxes and our teacher took us outside and we all lined our boxes up by the football field fence. Our teacher probably told us not to look at the sun and being a rule follower I did not look up, I remember being scared to do so. So she probably told us we would go blind. I also remember a little boy in my class, named Teddy, was not so much of a rule follower and our teacher was constantly yelling at Teddy to not look up. I don't remember what happened to Teddy but I know he didn't move on to 3rd grade with us.
It won't be visible where I am. :( My brother might be able to see it. The town the mentioned on the news here, Glendo, is not far from where I grew up (by Wyoming standards anyway). They said the population of Wyoming will double for the eclipse.

Songbird76

Not only did the bully girl not move, her seat is to the left right behind my son. She'd better not pull anything. He has a substitute teacher for a while because the regular teacher's mother died a few weeks ago and her MIL died last week. So she's not starting off the school with them and I don't know the substitute. I hope she's strict and pays attention like the regular teacher does! (DD had her last year, so I know she doesn't put up with anything.)

MouseDreaming

Not only did the bully girl not move, her seat is to the left right behind my son. She'd better not pull anything. He has a substitute teacher for a while because the regular teacher's mother died a few weeks ago and her MIL died last week. So she's not starting off the school with them and I don't know the substitute. I hope she's strict and pays attention like the regular teacher does! (DD had her last year, so I know she doesn't put up with anything.)
Well, carp. Hoping for the best, and sending lots of pixie dust your way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom