Siemens leaving, What does this mean for Spaceship Earth?

KBLovedDisney

Did they completely remove the SSE globe on the descent, or is it still there but in total darkness? When I rode it last weekend, I saw the space where it resided and was just curious if they just cut the lights off...

Goofyernmost

The simple answer would be because they're not there.The satellites and parts of of the space station were removed in 1994.

2007 saw the blue lights grid support drilled through some of the remaining parts.

Rememants of the space station, painted black, are still visible if you know where to look.
OK, then I will ask this in a different way. Obviously since they were removed they can no longer be shown, however, that doesn't answer the question as to why it was ever removed to begin with. It can't be cost because other then the occasional dusting there was no "Disney is cheap" incentive for their removal. Was it an artistic move, did they think that it enhanced the experience to get rid of the distractions (which is my personal belief). Or was there some other sinister motivation. In my mind things are not simply better because that's the way it was originally. Change can be for the better. I like the entertainment portion of the current descent, others do not. Neither is certifiably right or wrong, just personal observations and opinions. After the cityscape scene, the original descent, to me, was an anti-climatic experience. I did, however, really like the city scene. In the earth scene... less is more is the operative design.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
OK, then I will ask this in a different way. Obviously since they were removed they can no longer be shown, however, that doesn't answer the question as to why it was ever removed to begin with. It can't be cost because other then the occasional dusting there was no "Disney is cheap" incentive for their removal. Was it an artistic move, did they think that it enhanced the experience to get rid of the distractions (which is my personal belief). Or was there some other sinister motivation. In my mind things are not simply better because that's the way it was originally. Change can be for the better. I like the entertainment portion of the current descent, others do not. Neither is certifiably right or wrong, just personal observations and opinions. After the cityscape scene, the original descent, to me, was an anti-climatic experience. I did, however, really like the city scene. In the earth scene... less is more is the operative design.
Artistic.

theGib95

I have always enjoyed SSE and have passed that onto my daughter that is 6 and on her way to her 6th trip in a month... She insists on riding it twice if not more per Epcot Day on our trips, but she doesnt even want to do the screen portions of the decent, she just relaxes and looks at the lights... She prefers the Sets and animatronics.

DfromATX

What one thinks is good is quite subjective. I hope they don't replace this one. Update, sure, but replace? Nope we never tire of it. We enjoy thrill rides as well as relaxing rides.

So true. I understand it's not a thrilling ride, but my family likes it. It's a classic. But then again, I like the Swiss Family Tree House so what do I know...

EpcotMark

What the ride really needs is a better message of hope and something to give you a psychological boost particularly at the ending to make guests feel energized and enthusiastic about going through the rest of the park. The Jeremy Irons version ending I thought accomplished this well. Cronkite ending did to some extent as well. Bring in Michael Giacchino to do the music. That would make me happy.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
No it wasn't. From the classroom (which was a physical set around a screen) all the way to the city was physical set.

You're also forgetting the satellites and massive space station set from 1982-1994.
I always forget about that. I just mix the part up with Horizons, not to mention since technology has no more future they might as well add that into Spaceship Earth to .

bcoachable

Did anyone ever break the “why is Siemens dropping sponsorship” story? I was curious to the ins and outs of this one, and never got any closure...

AndyS2992

Did anyone ever break the “why is Siemens dropping sponsorship” story? I was curious to the ins and outs of this one, and never got any closure...
No but most likely budget cuts at Siemens and they probably weren’t making much money out of the deal so not worth continuing. Who rides Spaceship Earth or watches Illuminations and thinks ‘I need to buy some Siemens products now’, not very many I’m sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom