Grand Avenue and Baseline Tap House

No Name

I think the conceit of PizzeRizzo is that he built a New York Style pizzeria in Los Angeles. Some of the artwork on the walls point to that.
Right, that was the backstory we heard when it opened. It also said that he converted it from an old warehouse, showing how this Grand Avenue story was likely the plan all along.

Ah okay, a backstory to explain something that doesn't fit.

I'd expect no different from Disney nowadays. At least its not as bad as A Bug's Land and Mission Breakout, which both acknowledge the existence of DCA itself and use that for justification.

aladdin2007

LeCellier being a signature is just laughable. I dined back there from the time it grew out of being a cafeteria. It was awesome, it is no longer. Prime is fine. Brown Derby is not a signature either, can't begin to compete with genuine signature venues on property.

Agree about Le Cellier, been dining there since its opening days as a dark cafeteria. but it was always incredible right up until a year or two ago. Now its an absolute rip off for what they are charging and a horrible menu.

Brown Derby is one of the last good ones left. expensive as well but the food always seems very good and usually worth the money with top notch service. They also offer lunch options. [/QUOTE]

BD-Anaheim

I'd expect no different from Disney nowadays. At least its not as bad as A Bug's Land and Mission Breakout, which both acknowledge the existence of DCA itself and use that for justification.

If it would help, I could walk downstairs and across the street to take a picture of a NY style pie shop that exists on my block in DTLA.

peter11435

The theme of mama melrose's has always been that is a New York style Italian restaurant located in Los Angeles.

WhatTheDisney94

I wish I was a fly on the wall in some of these meetings because I've no idea what they're doing.

They recently turned Pizza Planet into a New York pizzeria, then build a Los Angeles street, but its all one place? They extended the Muppets presence, now they seem to be giving themselves a potential out, but what changed in the mean time? Why the short-lived Muppets Courtyard name? I don't get it.
PizzeRizzo and the rest of the Muppet-themed shops are all set in Los Angeles, not New York. PizzeRizzo just happens to be a pizzeria with a New York style vibe to it. Inside PizzeRizzo, there's a bunch of advertisements (links provided) that say Grand Avenue as their address. These ads were there when the restaurant reopened last year. So Grand Avenue as been Disney's plan all along, the Muppet Courtyard name was just a placeholder until they could work in the former SoA facades.
http://www.chipandco.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/20161118_182355-e1479867976473.jpg
https://cdn1.blovcdn.com/bloglovin/...f9633573e3784ee8ae162be2579570f5301d&format=j
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/wp-co...om-Board-atmosphere-5-copy-700x492.jpg?8c90d2
The Gonzo ad describes the new Grand Park layout with the Royal Flush bathrooms, PizzeRizzo and Grand Theater (MV3D).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The theme of mama melrose's has always been that is a New York style Italian restaurant located in Los Angeles.

So, it seems that with Hollywood Studios being a 'timeless' re-creation of the greater LA movie scene, right from the start, Mamma Melrose and everything else is an LA location.

I guess any confusion (which I had had) was that the Streets of America seemed to create a New York section of the park. But I guess it should always have been considered a NY street "set" in LA.

Again, the new name for DHS should be California Adventure. :D

peter11435

So, it seems that with Hollywood Studios being a 'timeless' re-creation of the greater LA movie scene, right from the start, Mamma Melrose and everything else is an LA location.

I guess any confusion (which I had had) was that the Streets of America seemed to create a New York section of the park. But I guess it should always have been considered a NY street "set" in LA.

Again, the new name for DHS should be California Adventure. :D
Correct, New York St. was never set in New York. It was a movie set on a studio backlot.

Brian Swan

I wish I was a fly on the wall in some of these meetings because I've no idea what they're doing.

They recently turned Pizza Planet into a New York pizzeria, then build a Los Angeles street, but its all one place? They extended the Muppets presence, now they seem to be giving themselves a potential out, but what changed in the mean time? Why the short-lived Muppets Courtyard name? I don't get it.
I think the "LA" theming to Grand Ave will be mostly lost to anyone who doesn't know the flimsy "back story" (I use that term loosely); it will just be a generic "city street" that has a sort of LAish pub and a sort of NYish pizza place, and a theater that could be anywhere. And I'm OK with this. We all know the only real purpose of Grand Ave. is to serve as a corridor to keep crowd flow moving (and as a holding pen for people waiting to get into SW:GE for the first months that it's open). It's a "retro city" block that won't clash too badly with the "very LA" look of the front of the park, and is a nod to SOA.

I think the waxing and waning of the Muppets theming is a result of Disney planning on the TV reboot being a big hit, but it turned into a big flop.

Brian Swan

For my part, I love the Brown Derby. Never had a bad meal there. And the grapefruit cake is to die for!
I have to agree; HBD is my favorite in-park TS outside of EP (although the grapefruit cake never really excited me all that much). As for food quality and service it's definitely a cut above the other DHS TSs, but I think giving it the "signature" moniker was a marketing ploy to be able to charge DDP people 2 credits vs 1.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'll post this in this thread as well to help people visualize just what they have planned.
screen-shot-2017-08-17-at-12-00-13-am-png.223340

You can see the new path into the courtyard starting to take shape.

upload_2017-8-18_16-51-20.png

No Name

If it would help, I could walk downstairs and across the street to take a picture of a NY style pie shop that exists on my block in DTLA.

I saw a trullo in Africa, but that doesn't mean that they should put one in the land "Africa" in DAK. There is a Chinatown in just about every city in the US, but that doesn't mean they should put one at the American pavilion in Epcot. Just because something native to one place exists in another place, that doesn't mean it works in a theme park area that's themed to that other place.

But I understand if you disagree.

PizzaPlanet

PizzeRizzo and the rest of the Muppet-themed shops are all set in Los Angeles, not New York. PizzeRizzo just happens to be a pizzeria with a New York style vibe to it. Inside PizzeRizzo, there's a bunch of advertisements (links provided) that say Grand Avenue as their address. These ads were there when the restaurant reopened last year. So Grand Avenue as been Disney's plan all along, the Muppet Courtyard name was just a placeholder until they could work in the former SoA facades.
http://www.chipandco.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/20161118_182355-e1479867976473.jpg
https://cdn1.blovcdn.com/bloglovin/...f9633573e3784ee8ae162be2579570f5301d&format=j
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/wp-co...om-Board-atmosphere-5-copy-700x492.jpg?8c90d2
The Gonzo ad describes the new Grand Park layout with the Royal Flush bathrooms, PizzeRizzo and Grand Theater (MV3D).
The Grand Avenue name has been in front of us this whole time! This advertisement even has a map:
upload_2017-8-18_18-13-35.png

peter11435

I saw a trullo in Africa, but that doesn't mean that they should put one in the land "Africa" in DAK. There is a Chinatown in just about every city in the US, but that doesn't mean they should put one at the American pavilion in Epcot. Just because something native to one place exists in another place, that doesn't mean it works in a theme park area that's themed to that other place.

But I understand if you disagree.
But the area has never been themed to actually be New York. It has always been a New York City movie set in California. And that New York City movie set came complete with a China town and little Italy.

No Name

But the area has never been themed to actually be New York. It has always been a New York City movie set in California. And that New York City movie set came complete with a China town and little Italy.

But is it still? Streets of America was a movie set, I don't think Grand Park is supposed to be anything but a "real" place.

I think the waxing and waning of the Muppets theming is a result of Disney planning on the TV reboot being a big hit, but it turned into a big flop.

That would make sense, except for that fact that the area was renamed and PizzeRizzo was rethemed after the last episode aired. After they knew it wasn't going to be renewed. What I can't figure out is, what has changed since then? Or did they always intend on getting rid of the name Muppet Courtyard once Grand Avenue opened?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom