Disney's Hollywood Studios Name Change

Goofyernmost

I don't know. Makes sense to hold off a name change and all the marketing that involves until the two new lands and the marquee Mickey ride are open.
There is a lot more detail involved with a park name change then just adding or subtracting an attraction. All the merchandise designed to identify the park needs to be reestablished, that takes time. Even trash cans have to be re-identified. Promotional material, maps and many other things, redone. Even the idea of wanting to keep the theme a secret until sufficiently completed could be a reason for delayed announcement of the new name. Patience everyone. You will find out soon enough and, let's be serious, what does it really matter.

Kamikaze

At this point I am beginning to highly doubt a name change

I think we're still a while off. Why rename it before any of the new stuff is ready to open? TSL is the earliest I can see a rename happening.

Reason being that you don't want people to think that "<New Park Name> had nothing to do". You want them to think "Hollywood Studios had nothing to do." But when <New Park Name> opens, they will go "Wow, <New Park Name> was awesome!"

Amidala

I think we're still a while off. Why rename it before any of the new stuff is ready to open? TSL is the earliest I can see a rename happening.

Reason being that you don't want people to think that "<New Park Name> had nothing to do". You want them to think "Hollywood Studios had nothing to do." But when <New Park Name> opens, they will go "Wow, <New Park Name> was awesome!"

Exactly...I'm thinking preparations for the name change are being made now, and it won't go through until SW:GE has opened and the first "phase" of this expansion is complete–which makes a lot of sense, for all the reasons you've mentioned here.

Still don't think Florida Adventure is on the table...DCA doesn't just refer to the fact that the park is in California, it is themed to California (Route 66, Grizzly Peak, etc.). I don't think people would be quite as thrilled to visit a park themed to Florida, since it obviously lacks the cultural cache of CA. Hollywood Adventure or something along those lines still seems fine to me. And I'll admit that Hollywood Experience or Movie Experience makes sense (if the premise will be "immersing" yourself in various movies, rather than learning about how they're made) but they just don't have the same ring to them.

JeffH

What don't you get about Disney California Adventure? The theme is California. That's the specific theme. You can argue that they're not doing a good job with that, but at the end of the day, its California.

Disney's Florida Adventure would not mirror that, because the theme of DHS is not Florida.
You don't read very well...DCA might have been originally themed to California, but as you said one could argue that it no longer fits that theme. My point was that (Disney's) Hollywood Studio is almost always mistaken for a Universal park, so in my suggestion not only does the name identify the owner (Disney's) and the location (Florida) it also can be associated with another Disney Park. So, like Universal Hollywood/Universal Florida, I'm suggesting Disney California/Disney Florida to clearly discern the parks from one another, and better tie them to Disney. Both are 'Adventure' parks...that is the theme, especially considering the integration between Star Wars and rumoured Indiana Jones interactive theme resorts and the park. The only thing Disney needs to change about DCA is to point out that California is now just the location of the park, not the primary theme. Disney needs to preserve and improve its identity, not muddle it up with name change after name change.

No Name

You don't read very well...DCA might have been originally themed to California, but as you said one could argue that it no longer fits that theme. My point was that (Disney's) Hollywood Studio is almost always mistaken for a Universal park, so in my suggestion not only does the name identify the owner (Disney's) and the location (Florida) it also can be associated with another Disney Park. So, like Universal Hollywood/Universal Florida, I'm suggesting Disney California/Disney Florida to clearly discern the parks from one another, and better tie them to Disney. Both are 'Adventure' parks...that is the theme, especially considering the integration between Star Wars and rumoured Indiana Jones interactive theme resorts and the park. The only thing Disney needs to change about DCA is to point out that California is now just the location of the park, not the primary theme. Disney needs to preserve and improve its identity, not muddle it up with name change after name change.

Okay...I'm sorry, but "adventure" is most certainly not the theme. By that measure, can you name me a park that doesn't have the theme "adventure?" What makes these parks more "adventure" than any of the others?

What you are suggesting is fully nuking the theme of both parks instead of trying to build them up. And simply identifying them by their location. I read fine, I just think your idea is horrendous.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Okay...I'm sorry, but "adventure" is most certainly not the theme. By that measure, can you name me a park that doesn't have the theme "adventure?" What makes these parks more "adventure" than any of the others?

That's my take on "Adventureland", too.

More like adventures in colonialism. :D

BD-Anaheim

Well, more "Greater Los Angeles" than "California." IOW, it is indeed very "Hollywood" in outdoor theming (and the RnRC).

This actually makes some sense in FL. LA and by extension California is far away and culturally relevant. If you live in LA and the majority of guests are local, "California" loses its lure.

For those who are moaning about the loss of theming at DCA, I would suggest that it is very underwhelming to the annual pass holders. Walt knew this when planning the MK and switching out NOLA for Liberty Square because you simply cannot suspend belief if you walk into a recreated environment outside the authentic one in close proximity.

I don't see anyone in Orlando fawning over the Gaylord Palms outside of the ice display which has nothing to do with Florida. Why go hang out there in a faux-Spanish fort when the real one is within a 2 hour drive?

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
This actually makes some sense in FL. LA and by extension California is far away and culturally relevant. If you live in LA and the majority of guests are local, "California" loses its lure.

For those who are moaning about the loss of theming at DCA, I would suggest that it is very underwhelming to the annual pass holders. Walt knew this when planning the MK and switching out NOLA for Liberty Square because you simply cannot suspend belief if you walk into a recreated environment outside the authentic one in close proximity.

I don't see anyone in Orlando fawning over the Gaylord Palms outside of the ice display which has nothing to do with Florida. Why go hang out there in a faux-Spanish fort when the real one is within a 2 hour drive?

Disney also re-created a section of Paris for their Ratatouille ride...IN PARIS!

WDW Guru

Not sure if its been posted anywhere but just saw this video. Some terrible names in there but interestingly no Disney Hollywood Adventure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom