News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

UpAllNight

I've had 5 major issues with Magic Kingdom, and 4 of them have been addressed to an extent

- Weak theming in Fantasyland compared to Paris and California, addressed with new Fantasyland. I'd hope this would be extended to the older areas which look very dated.

- A dated entertainent schedule...I love the new fireworks, stage show, I Robot and Muppets show.

- Adventureland lacking Adventure...not addressed. It's pretty boring.

- A new thrill ride

- Tomorrowland Refresh, apparently on the way.

---

I can't complain about anything that's happening or planned to happen, other than the ridiculous decision not to update BTM with the new effects.

crxbrett

To re-do Tomorrowland for decades to come, something had to be done with Speedway. And if it's TRON (electric) race cars with a TRON coaster behind it, then that would be a great capstone for the land.

Problem is: the rocks are awful design, and they can't figure out what to do with the Stitch Space.

I know this will never happen, but how awesome would it be if Disney re-visited the Alien Encounter concept with an updated story and effects? Even though it would be similar, it would be great to see the frighteningly awesome attraction full of terror come back in a new and improved way. Moronic parents be damned! Just throw more warning signs everywhere and maybe make the attraction's height limit around what an average 9 or 10-year old's is, say 48" or maybe 52".

cheezbat

I'm excited for Tron...it's a welcome thrill ride to the Magic Kingdom, but I, like many others, think that what MK really needs is more capacity eating attractions. Maybe revisiting Western River Expedition or another boat ride of some kind would really help alleviate the crowding issues.

Hopefully after Tron they look into another project to spread out the crowds.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
(since FP+ didn't do the job it was sold as)
What??? You are hereby accused of heresy on three counts... heresy by thought, heresy by word, heresy by deed and heresy by actions... FOUR counts...
spanish-inquisition2.jpg

PorterRedkey

The last thing the MK currently needs is a major draw. It needs capacity (since FP+ didn't do the job it was sold as)
Won't the theater help somewhat with capacity since it should be a people eater that's in an area away from other attractions? I don't think people book trips for new shows. However, I can see that a new ride opening, especially on MK's 50th, attracting a lot of people. An E-ticket in Adventureland could help spread the distribution on people around the park and increase capacity. Too bad that is not in the cards.

phillip9698

I don't think you will ever clear out MK...ITs "Disney World" to people who are not us. Ask any normie tourist and they refer to the MK as Disney World.

The problem, I see, with many of these thrill rides is that they are short experiences and very quickly belch people out into the park to clog walkways/stores/eateries. I do think there is a place for thrill rides in the parks, but I think they should be adding two B/C/D rides, for every thrill ride, that have high capacity and a lengthy time on ride. I like that it appears Disney is doing this at Epcot with the addition of Rat/UK and GotG, but they also are removing an attraction that kept 1800 people off the paths for 40 minutes.

In the war for bigger and faster, Disney needs to appreciate that adding the right rides can keep congestion down and lines shorter/more spaced out.

Ellen didn't keep 1800 people off the paths for 40 minutes in the same way GMR did not accomplish the same in DHS. In order to keep 1800 people off the paths you would need 1800 people getting on the ride and that was not happening for a while now.

Bender123

Ellen didn't keep 1800 people off the paths for 40 minutes in the same way GMR did not accomplish the same in DHS. In order to keep 1800 people off the paths you would need 1800 people getting on the ride and that was not happening for a while now.

It never happened, except at the busiest times, but it had capacity to eat crowds for an extended period that a Coaster simply can not do.

phillip9698

It never happened, except at the busiest times, but it had capacity to eat crowds for an extended period that a Coaster simply can not do.

It may be the engineer in me but I just don't see the point in touting what a ride has the capacity to do if that number is never achieved. So let's say Ellen has the capacity to eat 1800 people an hour and a coaster does half that but nobody wants to ride Ellen yet the coaster is packed. In that case, which is the case for most of the year, the coaster is pulling more people off the paths than Ellen. Sure people may be on Ellen longer but if the number of riders is abysmal all you are doing is taking up space. There are probably more people waiting in line for Rockin Rollercoaster in an hour than get on Ellen in two.

Timothy_Q

It may be the engineer in me but I just don't see the point in touting what a ride has the capacity to do if that number is never achieved. So let's say Ellen has the capacity to eat 1800 people an hour and a coaster does half that but nobody wants to ride Ellen yet the coaster is packed. In that case, which is the case for most of the year, the coaster is pulling more people off the paths than Ellen. Sure people may be on Ellen longer but if the number of riders is abysmal all you are doing is taking up space. There are probably more people waiting in line for Rockin Rollercoaster in an hour than get on Ellen in two.

I think the point is, Disney used to build rides with huge capacity, but is now replacing them with small capacity ones.

Both UoE and GMR could have been constantly updated over the last 20 years so that they'd both keep being used to their full potential

No Name

When a new major attraction is built in WDW, the drawn "vacationers" tend to go to all four parks anyway, while the drawn "locals" tend to go to the park with the new major attraction. The Magic Kingdom really can't afford more vacationers and more locals without the general capacity to handle them.

The Main Street bypass should to be better-themed for when it's opened more regularly. Peter Pan's Flight, at the very least, should get the two-row ships. The flying carpet spinner should be taken out or moved. Basically, the park needs to make some more changes first.

It'll be hard to ride the Tron coaster if you can't even enter the park.

lazyboy97o

It seems like a lot of these discussions of popularity focus too much on wait times. An attraction with a consistent 5 min wait can still be greater attended (more popular) than an attraction with a consistent 60 minute wait.

Consistent wait times above 20 minutes are also not a positive. This is the threshold of when waiting really becomes perceived as waiting and overcrowding. Queues may remove people from walkways, but time spent in them reduces the park’s overall attractions per guest per hour. So while a long queue may be evidence of strong interest for the attraction’s audience, it also contributes to an overall negative perception of the park.

Unplugged

Problem is: the rocks are awful design, and they can't figure out what to do with the Stitch Space.
Until that canyon of datedness is figured out, sticking TRON at the end seems... unbalanced.

Every time I see those dreaded rocks, I think of 1960's Sci-fi, or in some cases I mentally update to this....

phillip9698

It seems like a lot of these discussions of popularity focus too much on wait times. An attraction with a consistent 5 min wait can still be greater attended (more popular) than an attraction with a consistent 60 minute wait.

Consistent wait times above 20 minutes are also not a positive. This is the threshold of when waiting really becomes perceived as waiting and overcrowding. Queues may remove people from walkways, but time spent in them reduces the park’s overall attractions per guest per hour. So while a long queue may be evidence of strong interest for the attraction’s audience, it also contributes to an overall negative perception of the park.

That depends highly on the ride in question. If you told me id have a 30 minute wait to ride RnRC, Forbidden Journey, Star Tours, or Soarin, id be perfectly fine with that as i love those rides and they offer me a pretty fun experience. If you told me i had to wait 30 minutes for Ellen or Figment i'd laugh at you.

celluloid

There are probably more people waiting in line for Rockin Rollercoaster in an hour than get on Ellen in two.

Maybe near the end, but the fact is a stretch since GMR and Ellen were very accessible. Less than 50 percent of the gate at Magic Kingdom ride Space Mountain and even less for RnR based on the fact that not everyone are in the thrill dynamic and are in parties where they don't want to split with children not tall enough or are not tall enough.

lazyboy97o

That depends highly on the ride in question. If you told me id have a 30 minute wait to ride RnRC, Forbidden Journey, Star Tours, or Soarin, id be perfectly fine with that as i love those rides and they offer me a pretty fun experience. If you told me i had to wait 30 minutes for Ellen or Figment i'd laugh at you.
What you personally will tolerate at individual attractions doesn’t matter all that much when looking at the overall capacity and anticipated satisfaction with a park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom