Name A Ride that replaced old one and was better

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Frozen Ever After is so incredibly intellectually dishonest that it urinates all over the very concept of "Edutainment". But it's sparkly. Oooo, pretty.

The same can be said for Pandora. It's like having Sir Richard Attenborough narrate a documentary explaining the science behind "Sharknado III".
They're still better than the previous attraction/land they replaced. Technologically, ambience, popularity, and profitability wise.

Disneyhead'71

They're still better than the previous attraction/land they replaced. Technologically, ambience, popularity, and profitability wise.
Americans do love sparkly things that aren't terribly intellectually taxing.

Epcot and DAK are beacons of science and multiculturalism in an age when science and multiculturalism are demonized by large swaths of Americans.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.

Epcot and DAK are beacons of science and multiculturalism in an age when science and multiculturalism are demonized by large swaths of Americans.

Well.. No.. They're just pretty darn boring. You're just not in the majority.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster

Man did you hit that right on the head! Jolly good

Justinchrys25

Yeah sorry about that - no smileys made it hard to guess. While I miss WoM, I do think Test Track is better.
World of Motion was awful...while I was in 4th grade (1983), I remember riding WoM and asking myself, "What is this?" Horizons made a greater impact on me at that time. Anyway, WoM was lost on me, but I remember that simple rides such as If You Had wings (the skiing sequence) seemed far cooler. While I am nostalgiac/maudlin for many WDW rides, WoM is not one of them.

JimW

Premium Member
I'll say it. Frozen is miles better than Maelstrom. Maelstrom was terrible. It was boring and everyone hated it until it was going away and people decided it was cool to complain about things for nostalgia's sake.
I haven't ridden Frozen Ever After, so I can't make a comparison. However, I will say that I honestly enjoyed Maelstrom quite a bit... but not necessarily to the point where I'd argue for one over the other, with one exception: the unload area. The Maelstrom unload area, to me, was completely immersive and magical. I honestly could have spent hours in there, and would have, had I not been forced to move along.

JimW

Premium Member
World of Motion was awful...while I was in 4th grade (1983), I remember riding WoM and asking myself, "What is this?" Horizons made a greater impact on me at that time. Anyway, WoM was lost on me, but I remember that simple rides such as If You Had wings (the skiing sequence) seemed far cooler. While I am nostalgiac/maudlin for many WDW rides, WoM is not one of them.
So, if I'm reading this correctly... 34 years ago, you rode a ride when you were 9 or 10 years old, that's enough to deem an attraction as "awful"? Man, it must be tough to impress you.

Justinchrys25

So, if I'm reading this correctly... 34 years ago, you rode a ride when you were 9 or 10 years old, that's enough to deem an attraction as "awful"? Man, it must be tough to impress you.
Nope, just saying the effect those various rides had on me 34 years ago lol. 34 years ago I didn't like COP, but today I think it's great! I am just making a statement about how time changes some things. Nevertheless, anamnesis takes over when I ride rides like Pirates...that smell triggers all kinds of memories!

JohnD

Mickey's PhilharMagic has to be better than anything that was there previously (although I admittedly don't remember seeing any of the other shows in that space).

I remember Mickey Mouse Revue. A 3D movie versus a show with lots of AAs. I like both but sorry MMR was better.

JimW

Premium Member
Nope, just saying the effect those various rides had on me 34 years ago lol. 34 years ago I didn't like COP, but today I think it's great! I am just making a statement about how time changes some things. Nevertheless, anamnesis takes over when I ride rides like Pirates...that smell triggers all kinds of memories!
I understand now. Sorry for jumping to conclusions. However, your reply does make make me think of a Madeleine I ate once...

Goofyernmost

I don't remember people disliking Maelstrom, though I do remember that it was rare to find a queue of less than 20 minutes to ride it, except during Illuminations. I was surprised that Disney chose to remodel an attraction that continued to be so popular.
I don't think they disliked it, they, like me were just enormously underwhelmed by it. It was a cool little ride, but, you hardly ever saw anyone doing flash photo's because there was nothing there that anyone cared to remember. I used to ride it when you had to run through the little theater to avoid seeing the film. As soon as those doors opened you'd knock people over, if necessary, to get to the exit side before those doors closed.

Goofyernmost

Frozen Ever After is so incredibly intellectually dishonest that it urinates all over the very concept of "Edutainment". But it's sparkly. Oooo, pretty.
One really can't urinate on something that no longer exists. The concept of Edutainment, in its purist sense has not existed for over two decades. And "pretty/sparkly" is far better then numbingly boring with no real education to be had. That ride gave you no more useful information about Norway, then Frozen does. However, Frozen is at least fun and not so depression that you want to be mauled by that Polar Bear.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Original Test Track better than World of Motion
Buzz better than Dreamflight
Current JiYI with Figment better than the horrible version it replaced
Philharmagic over anything in that theater
7DMT over the subs (if you consider that a replacement)
Toy Story Mania over Who Wants to be a Millionaire

Walt Disney1955

Count me in as a guy who liked Maelstrom. I mean, it epitomized Norway, at least from the perspective from this side of the Atlantic. I haven't seen Frozen yet but I do get the impression it is well done.

Winnie the Pooh is responsible at both parks for replacing a classic attraction. Mr. Toad at WDW and Country Bear Jamboree at Disneyland. I don't think it is better than either, but do others?

correcaminos

I miss that one scene from WoM with the city. I don't know why I loved it so. So little thing about me made me like it. I actually liked it better than If you Had Wings. But neither were all that out there for me. When both of those closed I just kind of shrugged my shoulders and moved on. Horizons though, that was a totally different level.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom