A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
I get this is, from all outward appearances, the current thinking. It goes right into that Wall St. is the ultimate "customer" TWDC is trying to please. Thus, they continue to chase the "short term gain" without any regard to the long-term consequences. This entire build out that we are seeing, just the known projects from D23, is nothing but the first reaction of having to deal with the long-term consequences of employing this strategy for the last 10 years. I read Spirit's threads with the hope that Bob and Bob, and their strategic teams under them get this. Unfortunately, based on Spirit's info thus far, that hope has yet to move beyond anything but just that, a hope. At some point a new leader will arise to bring back what Walt tried to teach those that worked for him, "Walt is right, quality will out."
I think the problem is that with the current business model of the parks chasing short term gains, you'd need the equivalent of Don Bluth or John Lassiter leaving Animation to become a competitor. The only person I could maybe see in that sort of position that compares is someone like Matt Ouimet at Cedar Fair, but he's only been there a few years and beginning to make his own real dent in those parks, so I don't think Disney would see him as a force to be reckoned with yet.

Monorail_Orange

I think the problem is that with the current business model of the parks chasing short term gains, you'd need the equivalent of Don Bluth or John Lassiter leaving Animation to become a competitor. The only person I could maybe see in that sort of position that compares is someone like Matt Ouimet at Cedar Fair, but he's only been there a few years and beginning to make his own real dent in those parks, so I don't think Disney would see him as a force to be reckoned with yet.
I think it's going to take more than competition to make a difference. I think it's going to take a significant downturn in the financial fortunes of the company. Let's not understate here, we're talking about a sweeping change in the mission and vision of a very large corporation/organization. We didn't go from Walt to Bob overnight, nor will going back be overnight, it will be a long haul. It takes a long time to turn the Titanic. Right now, I'm just looking for the turn to the correct direction. It either has to come, or an iceberg will.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Now I understand why WDW1974 needs his own space to tell his story on his own terms. Eager to hear the rest of your tales from abroad once people stop interrupting you!

The plan is to post about TDR later today. I have already written some thoughts. I didn't realize that the white nationalist movement was going to infiltrate this thread, but I shouldn't be surprised.

I will say I just hope TDR exists for decades to come and isn't wiped out by missiles in a urinating contest between two very small, very insecure and very unstable men because it really is an amazing and happy place.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you don't want to go out of the country, just say it. But don't use the "it's too pricey" line because, largely, that isn't the case.

Remember DI NK... a small boost in one ticket is a large boost over 5 tickets :p

Hell, I still drive to Florida vs flying because the extra 1g I can save is worth it to me. Spending 8+k before you even do anything is a tough pill. I'll do my national parks and take 'em to the west coast before I drop 10 large just to take the family overseas. They can do as I did... get a job that takes you there for free ;)

Daveeeeed

I'm glad someone else gets this. The wife and I are going to Paris for 5 days followed by 2 days in Disneyland Paris RT from Atlanta. Flights were $342/person. It literally was $50 more than the average ATL-MCO flight.
What airline? We flew to Paris last year using Delta Skymiles from Atlanta as well (4 nights). Such a good airport. Hopefully if everything stays good with China we’ll be able to go see the Asian Parks + the cities they are in next year.

FerretAfros

Anywho, getting vaguely back on topic...

I booked a trip to Paris this fall on a whim for the DLP Half Marathon (yes, I know runDisney is one of @WDW1974 's favorite targets, but DLP has the best course, even if their registration process is a mess) because I stumbled upon cheap flights. Roundtrip airfare to Paris from the DC area was only about $50 more than what I typically consider an acceptable price to southern California, where I go several times a year to visit friends and family.

Add to that the costs of race registration, park tickets, and hotel (off site) are all less than half the price their equivalents in Anaheim or Orlando, and it's actually a fairly affordable trip. Even when considering non-park options like museums and tours, you would be hard pressed to find things that approach the cost-per-day of Disney parks in the US, even with multi-day tickets

As others have said, I would never recommend an international trip just to visit the parks, especially for your first international trip, but they can be a great excuse to get out of your comfort zone a little. Even with several trips to Paris under my belt, it still feels extravagant going for such a quick trip, but we will still manage to squeeze in some sightseeing in the city, along with a bonus stopover day in Iceland en route

The world is an amazing place. It would be a shame to spend your vacations at WDW, when so much more is within reach for the same (or less) cost & time.

lazyboy97o

Cedar Fair is comfortable operating amusement parks.

One obstacle that hinders themed entertainment versus other storytelling mediums is the exorbitantly high cost of entry. Indie themed entertainment is not really a thing outside of the haunt industry. Those with the funds of course are going to be inclined to follow the market leader, and that’s Disney by almost every measure.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
What airline? We flew to Paris last year using Delta Skymiles from Atlanta as well (4 nights). Such a good airport. Hopefully if everything stays good with China we’ll be able to go see the Asian Parks + the cities they are in next year.

Not my beloved Delta unfortunately. United this time. But the plane will get us there just the same.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think it's going to take more than competition to make a difference. I think it's going to take a significant downturn in the financial fortunes of the company. Let's not understate here, we're talking about a sweeping change in the mission and vision of a very large corporation/organization. We didn't go from Walt to Bob overnight, nor will going back be overnight, it will be a long haul. It takes a long time to turn the Titanic. Right now, I'm just looking for the turn to the correct direction. It either has to come, or an iceberg will.

My bet is on the iceberg

Absimilliard

I am very looking forward to reading your insights into TDR wdw1974.

On the topic of international trips, Disneyland Paris is actually well aware of the large number of Americans coming in at the end of September for the Half-Marathon. I was actually told by friends there to actually stay away that weekend and to pick another time as hotels are pretty much sold out and they are expecting huge crowds.

I am curious as to how DLP will work that into consideration since the RunDisney demographic is not exactly the one they cater to normally. Maybe this is the carrot needed to get "scared to get out of my comfort zone!" WDW goers out to the other resorts around the world?

On the China visa topic, I spent 150$ canadian to get a 10 year unlimited entry visa to China. Basically, I got it done when I renewed my passport and it is now valid until 6 months before my passport expires. If you're considering more than just visiting Shanghai Disneyland, I would strongly suggest you look into that option as I'm sure you'll return there at one point in the future and China has so much to offer.

the.dreamfinder

Cedar Fair is comfortable operating amusement parks.

One obstacle that hinders themed entertainment versus other storytelling mediums is the exorbitantly high cost of entry. Indie themed entertainment is not really a thing outside of the haunt industry. Those with the funds of course are going to be inclined to follow the market leader, and that’s Disney by almost every measure.
I increasingly wonder if Nintendo had approached or been approached by OLC about building and operating a Nintendo park.

Last edited:

andysol

The world is an amazing place. It would be a shame to spend your vacations at WDW, when so much more is within reach for the same (or less) cost & time.

You know- I hear this said a ton- and I completely agree. The world has some amazing places- namely the history.
That said- The United States is the 3rd largest country in the world just behind Canada and Russia (who take the titles due to their frozen land masses). There is so much to see in our enormous country that you couldn't possibly see it in one lifetime. Heck- you couldn't really even see all of Adirondack State Park in one lifetime.

To each their own- but after a handful of overseas visits- I've been traveling our great country- and it's more satisfying to me, personally, than international travel. But I'm more of a topography, hiking, nature kind of guy vs a history and culture kind of guy. Culture is why I enjoy international travel- I enjoy being immersed in it- but that's about it.

People miss what's right under their nose. Who here has gone to a city and done a tour? Lots, right? Who here has taken a tour in your own city? I rest my case. :)

CanadianGordon

Looking at what everyone else is saying and I desperately want to leave North America for a vacation again. My biggie was when I went to Australia when I was 19.. Had a chance took it, loved it.
Would love to see Europe, though thinking I'd need to take time off work for two weeks to truly see it all. Not just DLP.

DisneyFan18

Apologies to those still waiting for TDR thoughts and D23 Expos thoughts, news and analysis, . Will try to get some fitting content out here in the next few days.

Don't worry @WDW1974, I'm really excited to hear about it, your opinions about the other parks make want to visit them as soon as I can. And this might be off-topic, but I would like to know if you have any information to provide regarding the possibility of Coco replacing The 3 Caballeros ride at the Mexican Pavillion. I hope you have a great day :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Looking at what everyone else is saying and I desperately want to leave North America for a vacation again. My biggie was when I went to Australia when I was 19.. Had a chance took it, loved it.
Would love to see Europe, though thinking I'd need to take time off work for two weeks to truly see it all. Not just DLP.

What is this thing called vacation???, we dont get to take them in the US of A. Well actually they are dangled approved and cancelled the day before you are scheduled to leave because od some crisis, Well at least it saves money on food for the rest of the family who went...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom