Which is scarier: Tower of Terror or Haunted Mansion?

Which attraction do you think is scarier?

• The Haunted Mansion

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Tower of Terror

Votes: 85 94.4%

• Total voters

DisAl

I never considered Haunted Mansion scary at all, just entertaining. HM is on our "must do" list every trip.
I have never been on Tower of Terror because they don't supply nitroglycerine tablets and Depends for the drops. ;)
So, even though I have never been on it, for me ToT is the scariest because just the idea of the drops scares me to the point that I am not getting on it.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
What's scarier? The bill when I get home! *ba-dum-tss*

Seriously though, Haunted Mansion is scary in a campy way. Tower of Terror aims to be legitimately scary.
tumblr_inline_nyud2yQzTe1rifr4k_500.gif

Chef Mickey

I'll put it like this:

As a kid, I don't ever remember being scared on the Haunted Mansion (although the old headstone popping ghosts were faster/scarier).

However, I was legitimately scared the first couple times I rode Tower of Terror in 1994. It's a legitimately freaky ride with some reason to fear (the drop). The theming is ON POINT and builds all the way to the boiler room. By that point, I remember just wanting it to be over with! As you get used to the ride, it because less and less...but Tower of Terror is definitely scary for smaller children.

dreamfinder

What scares you more? A small jump scare (heads in graveyard) or a multiple story free fall? Outside of the jump scares behind the tombstones, nothing in the HM is really scary. Sure, some people may not like the dark, or ghosts, but nothing in there is on the level of a real haunted house. And ToT, while several of the original Twilight Zone episodes definitely messed with peoples heads, nothing scary in there other than the suspense while waiting for the drop/the drop itself.

DfromATX

To me, ToT is the scariest ride EVER, but oh so much fun! But... last time we rode it, it went straight to the drop part and skipped the spooky tour. Does it still do that?

correcaminos

The scariest part of HM is the pre-show room with the screaming. The rest is really tame to us. ToT is on a whole other level. The pre-show is a type of scare even that bugs me. I never could watch the shows.

I also base this on your average 4 year old. I think most can handle HM, but I've seen kids screaming in tears at the end of ToT.

jloucks

What's scarier? The bill when I get home! *ba-dum-tss*

Seriously though, Haunted Mansion is scary in a campy way. Tower of Terror aims to be legitimately scary.

This.

Based on my Nephews response and fear, I will second (or are we to third) your statement.

Magenta Panther

I think the Mansion has an awesome, Victorian-flavored creepiness. Scary, sure, but in a genteel sort of way. That's part of its charm. And it has tremendous personality. It's not just a house, it's an entity. It's like a classic film that's both timeless and yet a period piece.

But the Tower scared the daylights out of me the first time I rode it. The star field, the floating window, the dimensions separating before your eyes JUST BEFORE THE DROP...holy crap. After I rode it I said NEVER AGAIN! But of course I did, and now I ride it several times whenever I visit the Studios. I think it's the only modern-day Disney attraction that approaches the greatness of the Mansion, Splash Mountain and Pirates, and that it still beats any of the Potter rides at Universal, good as they are.

So I voted for the Tower.

Magenta Panther

To me, ToT is the scariest ride EVER, but oh so much fun! But... last time we rode it, it went straight to the drop part and skipped the spooky tour. Does it still do that?

What do you mean? You mean you got on the elevator and it just started bouncing up and down, and you didn't see the star field or the hallway or anything? Bizarre, and worrying, if true...

Disney4family

My parents made me ride Haunted Mansion when I was 6. I cried the rest of the day. Now I appreciate every detail and enjoy the campy fun.
Tower of Terror is more creepy fun. The part that does freak out my teenage kids is seeing the outline of the bellhop standing on a landing as you drop. Is that a mannequin or just a cut out?

mouse_luv

I love the atmosphere of the ToT but not the ride itself, I'm not a "Drop" loving kind of person. So ToT definitely scarier lol!
The HM is just awesome! I miss the old attic though.

Last edited:

DfromATX

What do you mean? You mean you got on the elevator and it just started bouncing up and down, and you didn't see the star field or the hallway or anything? Bizarre, and worrying, if true...

We didn't see the star field or the ghosts. It just went to the bouncing up and down part. That was in July last year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom