Best Accommodations - 4 adults, 4 kids Fall 2018

Careygirl

Original Poster
Headed to Disney November 2018 - we have been before, but never with a group this large. Will have 2 grandparents, 2 adults, 4 kids (14,12,10, and 3). My first choice is Bay Lake Towers but might be too much of a budget buster. Planning on 4 park days (probably 2 MK, 1 E and 1 HS). For the most part, we really like to do the park all day and stay for evening show. What are your best suggestions for accommodations?

Weather_Lady

You can always look into multiple family suites (Art of Animation or All-Star Music) or Fort Wilderness cabins, or even 2-3 standard rooms, connecting if possible, at the moderate resort of your choice (Port Orleans Riverside, Port Orleans French Quarter, Caribbean Beach or Coronado Springs).

However, depending on the party's configuration and your budget, I'd suggest looking into renting DVC points for a dedicated 2-bedroom villa, perhaps at Wilderness Lodge, which is conveniently located and one of the least expensive DVC properties. (Multiple studios, especially at the Polynesian, which has 1.75 baths in each studio, would be another option.) A 2-bedroom villa would give you a bedroom with 2 queen beds, a living area/full kitchen with a double+-size foldout, and a master with a king bed and plenty of space for a toddler-sized cot or air mattress, or in some cases, a built-in Murphy bed. There are even larger, "grand" villas at some resorts, but the prices get pretty astronomical... the points/price chart at the DVC rental company websites will give you prices for every option.

We've had good luck with David's Vacation Rentals, and I often see the dvcrentalstore reviewed favorably here, as well. The downside of renting DVC points is that there's no option to cancel, so you'd have to purchase separate vacation insurance to cover the cost in the event you had to change your plans. The upside is that you can save a ton (we saved 40% off the rack rate for our 2-br villa at VWL, and will save 25% on upcoming studio rentals at BCV and Poly) by renting points instead of going directly through Disney.

correcaminos

I agree, I would look into renting points. David's is the company I send my friends too if they need to rent points. The only negative to that is someone is going to have to sleep on a pull out. If you want a 2 bedroom a place like Saratoga or OKW or even standard view at AKL will save money over BLT. Beach Club, VWL, and Boardwalk as well.

FTR VWL is not one of the least expensive DVC resorts. They have what I consider "medium level" of points. On par with BCV and BW (though and they now command the extra $1/point as most do. Only SSR and OKW do not. However if you do BLT standard renting right at the 11 month mark, you could get it for right around the same cost as VWL.

matt9112

as an aside I always throw out the off site option. I think the best value stay in the area period is flamingo crossings. under 100 a night after taxes...no resort fee or parking fee and really close with what is (as of now) essentially a private west entrance to property. admittingly it's a little drive to MK and your not doing AK so might not be best choice but really well put together. and dirt cheap for what you get.

CaptainAmerica

Sounds like you could be good candidates for a Treehouse Villa at Saratoga Springs. Queen for the grandparents, queen for mom and dad, and split the four kids over two bunks and two pull-outs.

A two bedroom villa doesn't really work for your group because it doesn't have enough beds. Assuming you need six beds, a two bedroom villa only offers five at the most (king, queen, queen, pull-out queen, pull-out twin).

DarthVader

Sith Lord
as an aside I always throw out the off site option.
There's something to be said about off site.
Here's a couple of advantages I see with an offsite resort.
Can be less expensive and/or you get more room/amenities for you money.
Driving to the park can sometimes be better then waiting for a crowded bus. The trams that take you to and from the park hold more then a bus does

CaptainAmerica

Driving to the park can sometimes be better then waiting for a crowded bus.
I have to say, outside of right-after-fireworks time, I've never been on a Disney bus that I'd consider "crowded." Everyone is always seated comfortably and we're often the only family on board. YMMV

matt9112

I have to say, outside of right-after-fireworks time, I've never been on a Disney bus that I'd consider "crowded." Everyone is always seated comfortably and we're often the only family on board. YMMV

no idea when you ride and or what resort you stay at. at a moderate it's packed to the brim in the morning and in evenings in my experiences.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
at a moderate it's packed to the brim in the morning and in evenings in my experiences.
I find its all about timing. My kids and I are morning people and we get to the restaurant for breakfast first thing, when they open up and the crowds are non-existant. Likewise in the evening, by the time we get back from a full day at the park, the kids and I are so tired we collapse and so we really don't notice the crowds too much.

I found the POR to be an intimate resort, while not small in scale, it definitely has a small feel to it. The Caribbean is huge, but as I mentioned above, we were largely able to escape any sort of crushing crowds due to our schedule..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom