What's Disney doing better now than it's done in the past?

kadybat

As a Disneylander, the pessimism I see on this board is a little foreign for me. Granted, I'm not saying y'all have nothing valid to complain about, but like, 'what's Disney doing better now' for me still means California Adventure. Like, I compare my experience at DCA over the last few years to like, what it was like before 2012, and every single time I've been at DCA since the reopening has gotten consistently better and better. Cars Land and the Victorian atmosphere in Paradise Pier are immersive and gorgeous and just absolute joys to explore. I'm honestly kinda dreading Pixar Pier and like, I'm not happy with Hollywoodland's current direction, but overall DCA has become so much stronger as a park over the last five years. I'm absolutely not happy the railroad was closed as long as it was, but now that it's back? The new track layout with the left turn is great, the redesigned Rivers of America are gorgeous, Big Thunder Trail looks better than ever, Fantasmic is better than ever. And, honestly, I'm really glad we got Main Street Electrical Parade back, even if it was temporary. I hadn't seen it on Main Street proper like that since the first time I'd been to Disneyland in my life, twenty some years ago. It just feels like there's all these nice little touches that make the experience feel worth it, even in the face of rising ticket prices.

I suppose I compare all that positivity abut DLR to, say, what's happening at EPCOT, and what's happening at DHS, and I can absolutely see why y'all feel so down about stuff right now. Between Shanghai and all the changes at DCA and what they're doing at Hong Kong, I imagine it feels like WDW is being neglected. I'm excited to be going back for the second time this year but in doing so I feel like there's stuff I'm missing out on that I wouldn't have missed even two or three years ago. I do hope WDW gets the big infusion of love it deserves for the 50th. Just, try to see the forest for the trees, I guess. DLR has gotten a bunch of well-felt love, Shanghai is gorgeous, the changes in Hong Kong look really well thought-out - WDW is gonna get some of that too. Star Wars Land looks great, Pandora might be small but it appears to be pretty impactful, and I'm sure positive stuff in the likes of what other Disney parks around the world has gotten will come to WDW in time. Y'all deserve to feel as proud of your parks as, well, I feel about the Disneyland Resort every time I've been lately.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
As a Disneylander, the pessimism I see on this board is a little foreign for me. Granted, I'm not saying y'all have nothing valid to complain about, but like, 'what's Disney doing better now' for me still means California Adventure. Like, I compare my experience at DCA over the last few years to like, what it was like before 2012, and every single time I've been at DCA since the reopening has gotten consistently better and better. Cars Land and the Victorian atmosphere in Paradise Pier are immersive and gorgeous and just absolute joys to explore. I'm honestly kinda dreading Pixar Pier and like, I'm not happy with Hollywoodland's current direction, but overall DCA has become so much stronger as a park over the last five years. I'm absolutely not happy the railroad was closed as long as it was, but now that it's back? The new track layout with the left turn is great, the redesigned Rivers of America are gorgeous, Big Thunder Trail looks better than ever, Fantasmic is better than ever. And, honestly, I'm really glad we got Main Street Electrical Parade back, even if it was temporary. I hadn't seen it on Main Street proper like that since the first time I'd been to Disneyland in my life, twenty some years ago. It just feels like there's all these nice little touches that make the experience feel worth it, even in the face of rising ticket prices.

I suppose I compare all that positivity abut DLR to, say, what's happening at EPCOT, and what's happening at DHS, and I can absolutely see why y'all feel so down about stuff right now. Between Shanghai and all the changes at DCA and what they're doing at Hong Kong, I imagine it feels like WDW is being neglected. I'm excited to be going back for the second time this year but in doing so I feel like there's stuff I'm missing out on that I wouldn't have missed even two or three years ago. I do hope WDW gets the big infusion of love it deserves for the 50th. Just, try to see the forest for the trees, I guess. DLR has gotten a bunch of well-felt love, Shanghai is gorgeous, the changes in Hong Kong look really well thought-out - WDW is gonna get some of that too. Star Wars Land looks great, Pandora might be small but it appears to be pretty impactful, and I'm sure positive stuff in the likes of what other Disney parks around the world has gotten will come to WDW in time. Y'all deserve to feel as proud of your parks as, well, I feel about the Disneyland Resort every time I've been lately.
Well, it's a lot easier to manage DLR than WDW -- scale matters.

kadybat

Well, it's a lot easier to manage DLR than WDW -- scale matters.

That's a fair assessment. I think part of the problem we've seen is sort of an inverse 90s problem. In the 90s, Disney went for broke in Paris, it backfired, and so every park suffered as a result. In the 00s, those problems were fixed, largely at Paris and DCA, while Disney continued to build around the world in Hong Kong and Shanghai. All of this happens at the expense of WDW. Now, we're at a point where every other park is doing well, yet WDW has languished, and the scale of what needs to be done (particularly at EPCOT and DHS) is comparable to what needed to be done at DCA back in 07. Unfortunately, like at DCA, fixing those problems (again, particularly at EPCOT) is going to mean years of half-day parks, construction walls, and disappointment before delight. If I can encourage y'all to do anything, it's to try and find hope that the parks will feel strong again. DCA made it there eventually, it just took time.

_caleb

Everything you mention is awesome. But are they doing things better than in the past?
You make a great point about DL vs. WDW- as a former Disneylander, I agree that WDWers have reason to feel neglected.

But is MaxPass better than FastPass? Is Splash Mountain with broken animatronics and burned-out lightbulbs better than they've done in the past? What about closing down multiple big rides at the same time (at both parks)? Going from crushing crowds to restrictive AP Blackouts? Raising prices (again)? Tomorrowland?

I'm pleased with the things you mention. Carsland is awesome. Buena Vista Street is really well done. Disney's immersive theming is really on point. But from my perspective, it doesn't seem like they're doing things better.

kadybat

is MaxPass better than FastPass?

I haven't used it myself, so I can't really speak to this. It looks like it works just fine - better than MDE, at least. It's a completely optional add-on and it's cheaper than PhotoPass was on its own. So, from afar, I think it's a really good compliment to FastPass, and certainly better than PhotoPass as far as value is concerned.

Is Splash Mountain with broken animatronics and burned-out lightbulbs better than they've done in the past?

Not in love with that. Splash definitely could use a refurb, especially now that the Railroad, Rivers, and Fantasmic have returned.

What about closing down multiple big rides at the same time (at both parks)? Going from crushing crowds to restrictive AP Blackouts? Raising prices (again)? Tomorrowland?

None of this is particularly recent stuff. As far as multiple big rides closing at the same time, that'll happen - certainly hasn't been my experience the last few visits, at the very least. And again, compared to the maze of construction walls that was DCA prior to 2012, I certainly think it's better *now*. Certainly it's better than a park having only four operating rides (looking at you DHS). The price raises are troublesome, but honestly let's talk about APs. As someone who doesn't have one - I live in Oakland, I go to DLR twice a year at most - it was so nice being able to take a weekend visit in June and not be mobbed by locals. It's a tricky balance to achieve, and SWGE is only going to make this problem worse. I don't know how to solve it outside of either restrictive blackouts or making it harder to get an AP, neither of which is a proper solution.

And yeah, Tomorrowland. Tomorrowland has felt totally aimless since Eisner. The Peoplemover tracks just sitting there unused for over a decade is the park's biggest shame and I really hope something's done with them in time for the 70th. It's only gonna get worse once Galaxy's Edge opens - Star Wars Launch Bay will be unnecessary, Path of the Jedi will feel pointless, and Star Tours is... I mean, folks on this board pass around the "what happens to Star Tours at DHS" question all the time, where at Disneyland it's like a central part of Tomorrowland that'll suddenly be redundant. Turning Starcade into a private lounge was also just totally pathetic and certainly doesn't help anything. At the very minimum, I'm glad Autopia's gotten some love recently, and I'm thankful we have an operating submarine ride instead of what we had before, which was an empty lagoon for years and years and years. Tomorrowland is a perpetual problem, one that hasn't been "done right" in at least two decades. Ultimately, once GE opens, Tomorrowland is going to need some investment - I really hope we end up with something that works, otherwise we'll have two arbitrary attractions and a once-again empty Carousel building.

I guess it's always a mixed bag, isn't it? I guess I feel like things are being done better because my point of comparison is... well, the 90s and early 2000s. I hadn't experienced anything before. I saw Tomorrowland for the first time when I was 6, literally a year or so before they poured bronze paint all over the place - I don't even remember if I ever rode the Peoplemover or not. For a lot of folks my age, their frame of reference is that early 2000s era DLR where things weren't much cheaper and yet a lot worse. Star Tours was (charming but) massively outdated, the lagoon was empty, DCA was an absolute certified mess, Rocket Rods was a disaster, the boring Light Magic had replaced pretty much everyone's favorite parade. That point of reference informs my belief that things have gotten better at DLR, even if there's a lot that still isn't where it should be.

erasure fan1

They have gotten a lot better at making our yearly vacation to Disney world a every few years vacation. I really can't think of anything they are doing better. There are things they are doing as well, but not better.

eliza61nyc

I think there is more than there was 3-5 Years ago, it is not on par of where it used to be at all, but at least there is some specific merch, mixed in with the same old generic in every store.

Definitely agree with this. I still hate that there is so much generic stuff though. One year every gift shop had that "nightmare before Christmas" junk everywhere. I mean seriously why would you put that in Space mtn gift shop??

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
They have gotten a lot better at making our yearly vacation to Disney world a every few years vacation. I really can't think of anything they are doing better. There are things they are doing as well, but not better.
I have DVC and they've managed to push my vacations to every other year at best. It's just too expensive to spend a week immersed in the magic these days.

eliza61nyc

I think also timing is another factor in your view. I'm an "oldie but goodie". I was lucky in that my kids where young in the late 90's to 2000's back when Disney really, really put the focus on providing a quality experience and so I admit I kinda of look back with nostalgia to those times. Restaurants were definitely 100% better.

I do also acknowledge that some times going annually can be a detriment. when you go every year you start nitpicking over the little things that you probably wouldn't notice normally.

theGib95

I think also timing is another factor in your view. I'm an "oldie but goodie". I was lucky in that my kids where young in the late 90's to 2000's back when Disney really, really put the focus on providing a quality experience and so I admit I kinda of look back with nostalgia to those times. Restaurants were definitely 100% better.
I was younger back in the early 90's when we went for 20th and then 25th, anniversary, the one thing my mom keeps telling me that the food at TS was way worse than it is now, but we also research better and plan ADR's now that I am grown and help plan the trips, so I pick menus I know my family will have food the like/want.

I do also acknowledge that some times going annually can be a detriment. when you go every year you start nitpicking over the little things that you probably wouldn't notice normally.
This is a 110% true statement, and I don't think I consciously realized it before you just said it too, I can imagine even worse for a local AP'er too!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I was younger back in the early 90's when we went for 20th and then 25th, anniversary, the one thing my mom keeps telling me that the food at TS was way worse than it is now, but we also research better and plan ADR's now that I am grown and help plan the trips, so I pick menus I know my family will have food the like/want.
Surprisingly, I was older back in the early '90's, and am even older now.

righttrack

1. Food and drink more varied
  2. Fastpass
  3. My Disney Experience
  4. Resort Arrival Experience - We used to wait in line for what seemed line hours! Now we go right to the room
  5. Magical Express - Again, a lot of lost time and money renting a car.
Both 4&5 have led to an everyday park ticket, vs a resort day because of less time wasted renting a car at the airport and less time wasted in resort lobby. There are times I would like to work a resort day into our schedule though.

Bender123

This is a 110% true statement, and I don't think I consciously realized it before you just said it too, I can imagine even worse for a local AP'er too!

I agree...to a point...After five years I was there a few weeks ago and there were items beyond nitpicking that stood out to everybody.

The monorails had paint missing, panels falling off and a few had giant gashes and holes in the "accordion" covers between cars. They looked horrible and the system felt more New York subway than magical transport. The bus situation was awful beyond words...over one hour waits for rides to EMH mornings. Times the bus never even showed up at a Disney Resort until after the EMH ended.

Inside the parks, there were numerous signs of neglect...From speakers not working on SE to visible garbage in shows and rides. We aren't even getting to general failures on rides, like multiple effects not working on JIYI, Small World, UoE, etc...Its just not at the level you expect for the prices they are charging and every item you see makes it even more obvious.

Rlandrigan

Food is definitely better - quick service options have gotten much better than my wife and I's first trip together in 2009. Immersive environments too - Pandora and most of AKL, and Star Wars looks promising. Magic Bands are nice, yes, the technology and scheduling have drawbacks, but the one key to everything with automatic ride pictures is groovy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom