Disney to honor memory of boy killed by alligator last year

durangojim

Original Poster
Do we know exactly where it is placed?
Actually it looks like it's right at the north end of the beach.

Last edited:

MuteSuperstar

I'd wager I'm about the most cynical and blackhearted person around these parts but I truly don't see a problem with this.
I am not a fan at all of all the impromptu memorials popping up on every road these days, but this was a very rare occurrence and it sounds like it will be discreet and tasteful.

mousehockey37

I'd wager I'm about the most cynical and blackhearted person around these parts but I truly don't see a problem with this.
I am not a fan at all of all the impromptu memorials popping up on every road these days, but this was a very rare occurrence and it sounds like it will be discreet and tasteful.

I'll take the title from you... I'm not a fan of this.

NearTheEars

The ones I don't understand are the big "in memory of" decals on the back windows of cars.
I know people grieve in different ways, but it always seemed odd to me.

KIGhostGuy

Yes, this was certainly a settlement agreement. Yes, Disney's money would be much better spent building a memorial for Luan Dawson or Marcelo Torres instead of this.
But it is much better done and much more subtle than I initially thought it would be, and I applaud Disney for that.

peter11435

Yes, this was certainly a settlement agreement. Yes, Disney's money would be much better spent building a memorial for Luan Dawson or Marcelo Torres instead of this.
But it is much better done and much more subtle than I initially thought it would be, and I applaud Disney for that.
I don't believe this was part of a settlement.

I also don't think Disney's money would have been better spent reminding guests of deadly incidents they were directly responsible for.

draybook

I don't like memorials for people who really did not make any mark on history or fund what ever it is they are being named for. That kid died because of ignorance and bad luck. We don't need every bridge and highway named after someone, and the flag should only be at half mast for the President, former Presidents, and the current VP, or the current Governor of your State.

No gravestone for me. Burn the body and drink up.

mlb_zpsy34fgzxx.gif

Seriously...way to be a male reproductive organ about this. This statue will take up hardly any real estate and most guests that come on property won't even know it's there nor will it intrude on anything.

Disneydreamer23

I thought it would look tacky, I think it looks very nice. Me being a sentimental easily let things bother me kinda person I won't be visiting it,but I do think its very nice.

mimitchi33

No, there was a 14-month girl who fell off the tram and was crushed and a 2-year-old girl killed by a falling sign at the Polynesian. I think those were both in 1982.
There was also the Make A Wish kid who died on Mission: Space or Space Mountain (can't remember...)

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Other than being gold it's tasteful. Taking down the fences and restoring the beaches would also be a great gesture.

Biff215

Other than being gold it's tasteful. Taking down the fences and restoring the beaches would also be a great gesture.

I think it'd be nice if there was some sort of natural boundry (Possibly rocks or rockwork?) Instead of the Fences, would be a lot more thematically appropriate for the Poly at least, and make the beaches feel a bit more natural.

Taking down the fences? Thematically appropriate? While I prefer the old look of the beaches, I also prefer guest safety including my own kids and family. It's likely the only way to keep everyone out of the water. IMO it was done as quickly and naturally as possible. Kudos to Disney for honoring Lane's life in this tasteful way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom