RIP The Great Movie Ride

Walt Disney1955

Seriously Disney, exactly what can go there to make it better? It was a great ride, I loved it. Why do I get the feeling Disney is turning into Universal here? In other words, cutting out the heart and nostalgic parts of the park. You know what makes Space Mountain so special? It is that there are now three generations of Disney fans who can remember their first ride on it. You are now at the position where you can share with your grandpa the first time you rode it. What is left at DHS anymore that's been there since the beginning?

Tony the Tigger

IMG_0570.JPG

Walt Disney1955

@Chef Mickey biggest punch in the gut for sure. This is SO sad. Not happy at all. I mean, at least like add on to it or make a couple updates but don't completely wipe it out!? When things like this happen at Disney it really makes me so angry, like, what is Walt thinking right now :(?

He wouldn't be happy about a lot of it. We know one thing with Walt, while he did like progress he also kept one foot in the past as well as a nice balance. He kept a lot of things the same in the 11 years he ran Disneyland which many are still there to this day. I counted maybe 2-3 things that were there at Disney Hollywood Studios since the opening in 1989 and that's Star Tours, Muppets and Indiana Jones. I might be wrong about that though too. But either way, part of what makes Disney special is riding the same rides your grandparents rode.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Let me preface this with I enjoy classic movies and can fully appreciate the GMR being a nod to classic Hollywood, so I totally get your point and can agree; however, the GMR isn't entirely focused around the Golden Era (1920-1960). There are handfuls of movies represented both on the ride (Man with No Name, Alien, Raiders) and in the video finale that are more recent/modern. At some point, movies made in the 80s are going to fall under the label of classic, right? Why not add to the GMR to include more recent hits that are turning into classics? TCM themselves show plenty of 60s, 70s, and at times, 80s movies. I mean, does ANYONE who goes on the ride know what Footlight Parade is? I know I wouldn't be upset if that was pulled in lieu of another classic movie scene. Perhaps others feel the same? Even if they didn't include more recent films, there are still a plethora of highly regarded classics absent from the ride. Sadly, licensing rights would probably make it nigh impossible for a lot of films, regardless of their era, to be represented in the ride.

In regards to the last part of your post...being part of the new generation...I do like thrill rides. A lot. I can, however, fully appreciate what a ride like the GMR brings to the table. I mean, if your options were to see it re-done to include more late 60s and 70s films vs shutting it down all together, wouldn't you rather the former?

Footlight Parade is just one of the films choreographed by Busby Berkley probably the greatest choreographer of all time. Thats why its featured in the rode

He wouldn't be happy about a lot of it. We know one thing with Walt, while he did like progress he also kept one foot in the past as well as a nice balance. He kept a lot of things the same in the 11 years he ran Disneyland which many are still there to this day. I counted maybe 2-3 things that were there at Disney Hollywood Studios since the opening in 1989 and that's Star Tours, Muppets and Indiana Jones. I might be wrong about that though too. But either way, part of what makes Disney special is riding the same rides your grandparents rode.
Absolutely. Oh this makes me so sad! I really hope the People Mover at MK doesn't go. What if they take away classics like Splash Mountain, too, eventually? Terrified the parks as we knew them forever ago, will become totally changed. Never thought The Great Movie Ride would go. So upset.

Seriously Disney, exactly what can go there to make it better? It was a great ride, I loved it. Why do I get the feeling Disney is turning into Universal here? In other words, cutting out the heart and nostalgic parts of the park. You know what makes Space Mountain so special? It is that there are now three generations of Disney fans who can remember their first ride on it. You are now at the position where you can share with your grandpa the first time you rode it. What is left at DHS anymore that's been there since the beginning?
This is the best!

brb1006

To mark the closing of The Great Movie Ride at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Disney is producing some special commemorative merchandise before the attraction fades to black on August 13th.
bj9K8SD.jpg

The merchandise will be released at Walt Disney World late next week, while some of it will be available online through the Disney Parks online store starting August 10th, 2017.

danyoung56

Footlight Parade is just one of the films choreographed by Busby Berkley probably the greatest choreographer of all time. Thats why its featured in the rode

Yeah, but I've always had a hard time with a young 20-something driver talking about "one of my favorites" when passing that scene. I'd bet not 1 in 20 hosts has ever seen Footlight Parade. Heck, I'm 60 and I'd never seen it till a few years ago, prompted by that scene. It was fun seeing it from a historical standpoint, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it again.

DisneyPrincess5

Oh GMR, you will be missed.
Last trip DH and I took was 3/2016. We chose not to get FPs for GMR because we figured it was smarter to get one for Toy Story as GMR couldn't possibly have a big wait. Well, we never ended up riding it because every time we tried, it had a consistent 60 minute wait. It was the first time ever I had seen guests snaking around the line chains outside. We said "guess we'll do it next trip". It stung at the time because we enjoy the ride, now it stings a lot. So the last time we rode it was 11/2014. Little did we know...

Goodbye GMR, an MGM Studios original.

KBLovedDisney

To mark the closing of The Great Movie Ride at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Disney is producing some special commemorative merchandise before the attraction fades to black on August 13th.
bj9K8SD.jpg

The merchandise will be released at Walt Disney World late next week, while some of it will be available online through the Disney Parks online store starting August 10th, 2017.
Oh geezus! It's like they are kicking you more in the gut with merchandise saying "That's a Wrap" for GMR. So not cool.

macefamily

The ride was a beautiful mix of the classics and progressive movies of our time. I remember my kids asking me about James Cagney and John Wayne as a result of seeing them on The Great Movie Ride. The ride cut across generations and gave you a feel for that old time Hollywood. Sad to see something so classic leave us. When I have grandchildren, they'll probably not see half of the rides I did at the Disney parks.

The Empress Lilly

The ride was a beautiful mix of the classics and progressive movies of our time. I remember my kids asking me about James Cagney and John Wayne as a result of seeing them on The Great Movie Ride. The ride cut across generations and gave you a feel for that old time Hollywood. Sad to see something so classic leave us. When I have grandchildren, they'll probably not see half of the rides I did at the Disney parks.
Perhaps don't take your grandchildren?

I would love to show my WDW to my little niecelet. But it has dawned on me that my WDW no longer exists, really. So why should I?

First Disney told us that the Sorcerer's Hat was being removed so that the Chinese Theater would be the center of focus.

Then after the hat was removed, they put up a loud dance stage (must be nice dining at the Brown Derby now).

Then they removed the stunt car show, the backlot tour, and the Osbourne Christmas lights.

And now the GAMR.

They ought to change the name of the entire park from Hollywood Studios to 'Star Wars - Like it or Leave'.

MissPixie

I just became aware of this the other day and I am glad I got to ride this and see this ride before it is gone for good. I have no idea what the plans are for to go in there, but I know Disney will come up with something great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom