Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

sunsetblvd26

I'm not sure you know what DOA means. GMR was extremely popular when new, and honestly continues to attract a very healthy line nowadays. And young audiences also are really into it, had a ridethrough with a bunch of teens who were loving it recently.

New Mickey shorts have a grotesque style, but I would not necessarily call it Japanese. It more closely resembles the style from many 90s Nicktoons such as Ren and Stimpy and Spongebob, as well as many amateur online flash animations.

F0ARXIJ.gif

d0bdf393e953b4c3c55aed920c7254aa.jpg
Yeah, look at how disgusting and repulsing this image is:

IMG_6572.JPG

Oh, it looks fine? I guess that's what happens when you selectively pick out specific shots just to try to make a point. ;) I know this point has been brought up before but it just gets under my skin.

Rodan75

And yet millions upon millions have watched the new shorts with a good number enjoying them if YouTube is anything to go by.

Not to mention they have been nominated and won Emmy's and Annie's for each season. These shorts embody the best classic Disney, WB and MGM shorts in modern animation styles. They have artistic merit and aren't just 'cheapquel' grade school junk.

It is okay to hate them, but objectively they have been deemed 'good'. There is a valid reason for Disney to use this version of Mickey.

SpectroMan93

Not to mention they have been nominated and won Emmy's and Annie's for each season. These shorts embody the best classic Disney, WB and MGM shorts in modern animation styles. They have artistic merit and aren't just 'cheapquel' grade school junk.

It is okay to hate them, but objectively they have been deemed 'good'. There is a valid reason for Disney to use this version of Mickey.

Exactly what I was thinking. The comparisons to Ren and Stimpy are ridiculous and completely laughable as arguments. People find two or three images from google search that look remotely unsavory and suddenly the whole show is condemnable. I highly doubt anyone who thinks the new Mickey Mouse is an insult to Walt Disney has actually seen the cartoons. People should watch the "Potato Land" short. It is incredibly clever and hilariously self referential. And very much in the spirit of the old Mickey Mouse cartoons. I swear, these forums would make a great case study in hostility and resistance to change.

No Name

So I rewatched the whole D23 presentation for the first time, since I was unable to watch it live. Few comments on the subject.

- Bob Chapek sounds like a Mickey Mouse who went through puberty.

- It's slightly ironic how Bob recognizes that CMs are the heart of the experience, then proceeds to announce the closure of The Great Movie Ride.

- It's extremely annoying that Kevin Rafferty tried to paint this as the next original attraction (comparing it to Small World, Pirates, and Mansion). Yes, it's not a book report ride, and that's great, but neither is Mission Breakout. Yes, it has it's own song, and that's great, but so does Na'vi River Journey. Otherwise, it's based on Disney's most famous character. That aspect is literally the opposite of original.

- Mickey is supposed to be a lovable character, and I just don't get that feeling when watching the new shorts. There's not enough flamboyance and "hiya pal!" for me. Whereas on the other hand, I love the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse characters, though I'm not sure how well that would translate to a ride. So I conclude that they really should've went with a classic look. Oh well.

Despite all that, I'll remain cautiously optimistic for the replacement. Oh, and I hope it's longer than 5 minutes. 8 sounds good.

Yeah, look at how disgusting and repulsing this image is:

View attachment 217891

Oh, it looks fine? I guess that's what happens when you selectively pick out specific shots just to try to make a point. ;) I know this point has been brought up before but it just gets under my skin.
You're using a still image to justify his look. I think the way he moves is very un-Mickey-like and too much like your average 2D cartoon character nowadays. But to each their own.

Last edited:

Dizney Crew

Out of all the new rides that got announced this ride I'm hoping will be the surprise hit that no one saw coming. I'm getting mixed feeling reading comments on here and other boards and lots of people seem to be writing this attraction off simply for 2 reasons, 1: its replacing a beyond dated and stale attraction in the GMR or 2: people hate the Mickey style they chose for the ride. To me both of those reasons are ridiculous. This ride already sounds better then anything going into Toy Story Land, and the fact this ride is going to display new tech makes me even more excited. I've been saying for years how I never understood why Mickey never had a signature ride, now that he's finally getting one is long over due IMO. Also a plus is that we will be the only park with this ride (at least for now) so that's another plus. And it seems that we don't know yet if the Chinese theater outside is getting replaced right? I think/hope they go with a different theme, the theater won't look right with the new direction of the park, but with all the projection shows going on at DHS I have a feeling they will keep the facade. And one last thing about this attraction, please let the ride time be in the 7-8 min range or at least 5 min, anything under that will just ruin this suppose "Headline" attraction.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Thought you said 7-8 minutes, which is "long" nowadays. Better than 2-3 minutes. It's probably somewhere in this thread LOL.

Indeed...

And yet they managed to stretch Maelstrom an extra 40 seconds or so, leaving it barely above 5 minutes, and folks were happy.

In comparison, Mickey will be luxurious at 7-8 minutes.

Fantasmicguy

Out of all the new rides that got announced this ride I'm hoping will be the surprise hit that no one saw coming. I'm getting mixed feeling reading comments on here and other boards and lots of people seem to be writing this attraction off simply for 2 reasons, 1: its replacing a beyond dated and stale attraction in the GMR or 2: people hate the Mickey style they chose for the ride. To me both of those reasons are ridiculous. This ride already sounds better then anything going into Toy Story Land, and the fact this ride is going to display new tech makes me even more excited. I've been saying for years how I never understood why Mickey never had a signature ride, now that he's finally getting one is long over due IMO. Also a plus is that we will be the only park with this ride (at least for now) so that's another plus. And it seems that we don't know yet if the Chinese theater outside is getting replaced right? I think/hope they go with a different theme, the theater won't look right with the new direction of the park, but with all the projection shows going on at DHS I have a feeling they will keep the facade. And one last thing about this attraction, please let the ride time be in the 7-8 min range or at least 5 min, anything under that will just ruin this suppose "Headline" attraction.
Actually the theater would work for this ride specifically at least because when these shorts appear on Disney XD they start with a theater that is playing the Mickey shorts.

Next Big Thing

Hey @marni1971... SeventyOne over on InsideUniversal (formerly Orlando United) mentioned that the Mickey RVs have been testing in the current building at night. Have you heard anything of this? Here's his full quote:

Just to pile on, been told that not only are there new ride vehicles, they've already been tested after hours along the current track. (Didn't take that to mean current track staying, more just seeing how they run on the floor, but I didn't follow up.) So small enough to be fairly moveable--can take one in and out overnight.

So just to confirm, the trackless floor will be ripped out and updated, correct? And have they really been testing the RVs?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom