Fast Furious delayed till 2018

Disneyhead'71

Kong wasn't a disaster but it did suffer from some lazy decisions. The story told throughout the attraction is weak and seemed like an afterthought to the brilliant exterior and queue. The fact it's completely screenbased and then we roll past an (impressive) Kong just seemed so random. It suffered because Shanghai's Pirates videos circulated a few weeks before softs and people became aware of the possibilities when blending sets, AA's & screens...and this basically didn't even attempt to blend these aspects together. It seemed unimaginative and made Disney look ahead of the game for the first time in a decade.

Fallon is good for what it is. The lazyness here is not the design or implementation of the attraction, it's that it actually happened. Universal Studios is a mess at the moment & it kills me to say that because I adore the place...but it is screen city and it stinks of bad decisions and laziness. Individually good-great rides...collectively torturous. Limited reridabilty.

I'm going to add the Hulk redo to my recent disappointment list. They improved the queue a little, the trains are sleek as hell..but I expected more. The story didn't get told through the queue until the end. I actually prefer the old launch tunnel...if they were going above and beyond, they could have enclosed the brake run and added an end/show scene.

And Volcano Bay..l'm heading back next year to give it the second chance it deserves but they hyped the hell out of this and dared to call it a theme park, a title weirdly only themeparkinsider choose to acknowledge (cough payroll). It's nice...it'd be awesome anywhere other than in Orlando with Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon up the road. The theme suffered lazy execution in places, around the back side of the Volcano and the lack of theme in the 2 lazy rivers.

Universal have definitely stalled after Diagon. Which is increadible when they're sitting on the rights for Marvel & Jurassic Park. I fear they've suffered what Disney do at times...believing their own hype.
The lazy rivers and wave pools are themed. Think about it a bit and mull that over. Look at the expansion as a whole. And look at what they built. It's pretty obvious most theme park fans don't "get" the theme, they completely over think it based on predetermined expectations. Things like "themed lazy rivers have fake mud walls. And slides are ALWAYS tan. Period".

But the theme is pretty clearly presented, and it's not what most in the theme park community think it is.

Last edited:

UpAllNight

The lazy rivers and wave pools are themed. Think about it a bit and mull that over. Look at the expansion as a whole. And look at what they built. It's pretty obvious most theme park fans don't "get" the theme, they completely over think it based on predetermined expectations. Things like "themed lazy rivers have fake mud walls. And slides are ALWAYS tan. Period".

But the theme is pretty clearly presented, and it's not what most in the theme park community think it is.

The theme is a bigger stretch then "building a carnival on a roadside". But we went the day after opening...I'm hopeful I form a different opinion when I go back. I've never argued about the quality of the slides...I'd say my 4 favourite slides in Orlando are here and I didn't get on many of them. My issue is when expectations are set high they need to deliver & I don't think what they've presented goes above and beyond anything expected of them, which is the trajectory they looked to be on around the Diagon time.

Disneyhead'71

After it dawned on me what the actual theme for the place is, I had to chuckle to myself. And, while a bit confusing to those prone to over think these kinds of things, I love that Universal took the phrase "back story" literally and only told the first part of the story.

When the theme "clicks", it all makes sense.

Disneyhead'71

I'm confused. What is the actual theme? That the Waturi people created a modern day water park?
Yep. The theme isn't the ancient Waturi people built a water playground. They discovered the island and built the pre-Columbian inspired temples that are presented now as ruins. And the theme is not the primitive native descendants of the Waturi people cobbled together some slides from bamboo. The theme is the modern descendants of the Waturi people, who are smart phone wielding, tech savvy island types decided to build a very modern, ultra high tech luxury water resort based on their ancient philosophy that "Water is Life". So they packaged their philosophy for sale all wrapped up in Millenial bait. Craft Beer, Craft Cocktails, Craft Tacos, hot and cold running Concierges, luxury cabanas, and yes, inlaid glass tiles along the lazy rivers all reinforce the "luxury resort" theme. Seriously, Chloe just can't with the "fake" muddy river thing. "Ew!"

That part of the back story Universal left out of the marketing material. There is nothing in the complete backstory that implies that the island of Krakatau is STILL a remote primitive island. As a matter of fact, all the visual cues imply the city of Krakatau is just like any other popular modern tropical "Oasis". Resort hotels as far as the eye can see, and oh look, the park butts right up against the interstate. Nice.

h1-name-sign-e'bound-jr-large.jpg

There is the point where things are too clever, the average Joe just ain't that bright. When you are doing entertainment for the masses then average Joe rules.

I think most people who go "get" that it is supposed to be a modern water park. It is those in the theme park community with preconceived notions that end up with brain twisting cognitive dissonance when presented with something that doesn't fit with their expectations. The lay person sees the resort style lazy river edge and feels more than thinks, "nice". The Orlando based theme park nerds scream "Universal is so cheap and lazy they didn't even theme the lazy river. They half everything. It should be all fake rocks and mud. That's the way Disney does it so it is law! And the same for those tacky colored slides. What part of "tan" doesn't Universal Creative understand?" Disregarding that fake mud lazy rivers would actually be very much out of theme. And with the theme of being a modern luxury resort, ugly "tan" slides makes no sense. They aren't supposed to be "natural" elements.

Last edited:

Mike S

Yep. The theme isn't the ancient Waturi people built a water playground. They discovered the island and built the pre-Columbian inspired temples that are presented now as ruins. And the theme is not the primitive native descendants of the Waturi people cobbled together some slides from bamboo. The theme is the modern descendants of the Waturi people, who are smart phone wielding, tech savvy island types decided to build a very modern, ultra high tech luxury water resort based on their ancient philosophy that "Water is Life". So they packaged their philosophy for sale all wrapped up in Millenial bait. Craft Beer, Craft Cocktails, Craft Tacos, hot and cold running Concierges, luxury cabanas, and yes, inlaid glass tiles along the lazy rivers all reinforce the "luxury resort" theme. Seriously, Chloe just can't with the "fake" muddy river thing. "Ew!"

That part of the back story Universal left out of the marketing material. There is nothing in the complete backstory that implies that the island of Krakatau is STILL a remote primitive island. As a matter of fact, all the visual cues imply the city of Krakatau is just like any other popular modern tropical "Oasis". Resort hotels as far as the eye can see, and oh look, the park butts right up against the interstate. Nice.

I think most people who go "get" that it is supposed to be a modern water park. It is those in the theme park community with preconceived notions that end up with brain twisting cognitive dissonance when presented with something that doesn't fit with their expectations. The lay person sees the resort style lazy river edge and feels more than thinks, "nice". The Orlando based theme park nerds scream "Universal is so cheap and lazy they didn't even theme the lazy river. They half *** everything. It should be all fake rocks and mud. That's the way Disney does it so it is law! And the same for those tacky colored slides. What part of "tan" doesn't Universal Creative understand?" Disregarding that fake mud lazy rivers would actually be very much out of theme. And with the theme of being a modern luxury resort, ugly "tan" slides makes no sense. They aren't supposed to be "natural" elements.
This is what I thought from the beginning. The steel skeleton of the volcano is a problem though.

Tom Morrow

Ehh.... this is the Dino-Rama theming method, making up a backstory to justify the lack of immersion. Obviously Volcano Bay is still legions better than Dino-Rama, but still.

lazyboy97o

I think most people who go "get" that it is supposed to be a modern water park. It is those in the theme park community with preconceived notions that end up with brain twisting cognitive dissonance when presented with something that doesn't fit with their expectations. The lay person sees the resort style lazy river edge and feels more than thinks, "nice". The Orlando based theme park nerds scream "Universal is so cheap and lazy they didn't even theme the lazy river. They half *** everything. It should be all fake rocks and mud. That's the way Disney does it so it is law! And the same for those tacky colored slides. What part of "tan" doesn't Universal Creative understand?" Disregarding that fake mud lazy rivers would actually be very much out of theme. And with the theme of being a modern luxury resort, ugly "tan" slides makes no sense. They aren't supposed to be "natural" elements.
The problem isn’t that people don’t get it or only want things done a certain way. The problem is that it is a pointless backstory as it justifies anything and everything. It’s the same stupid backstory used at Disney Springs and Toy Story Land.

njDizFan

There is the point where things are too clever, the average Joe just ain't that bright. When you are doing entertainment for the masses then average Joe rules.
All this talk about Joe and Waturi has me confused with Joe vs the Volcano and Waponi people. Maybe if they add orange soda this could be the theme.

Tom Morrow

The problem isn’t that people don’t get it or only want things done a certain way. The problem is that it is a pointless backstory as it justifies anything and everything. It’s the same stupid backstory used at Disney Springs and Toy Story Land.
Yeah. You can't tell me that the perception of the theming at Volcano Bay isn't more fun and unique than the reality - "the Waturi people bought water slides from Proslide"

No Name

That "Waturi people built a modern-day water park" storyline is such a cop-out for lackluster theming and design.
The Waturi people could've done better, and did not raise the bar in any way.

misterID

Blizzard Beach has the best back story/theme of any water park I've ever seen. It was fun, original and clever. It was also the first time that I was really hit with how important a back story can be. This seems like a lot of effort to explain the back story.... On the other hand, I think it's a cool looking park and you really don't need the extensive back story to get sucked into the fun of the park. W&W didn't need a theme or back story either.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

The trope is real. Build something that is supposed to look old. Like say a print shop or volcano/ruins. Repurpose/retrofit it into something modern. Like a bar or water park. Then slather it in hipster bait. Such as Craft anything and enough outdoor café seating to handle the crowd of vloggers with trendy facial hair.

Voilá. Profit.

misterID

Of course it's CURRENTLY rated the highest at the resort. Every year that title always seems to go to the newest ride. I bet next year the flop that is Fast and the Furious will take that title.

Sadly the general public will eat up whatever is thrown at them...so screens or not, it'll be a success.
Us fans here on the boards often forget we're not the theme parks' target demographic...they care about what the general masses will think.

Personally, I'm like you guys. I hate the idea of F&F being a Kong clone. It's completely uninspiring. I loved Kong though....much in part to not only using screens, but also having set pieces and animatronics. Meeting the big guy in the flesh at the end really gave me a warm nostalgic feeling...reminding me of the good 'ol Kongfrontation.
Furious will have nothing like that. Screens, bus type vehicles, and MAYBE set pieces. Will it be fun? Possibly. Will it be a wild and furious ride? Doubt it. Will it be fast. No way.

Regardless of all our banter, there's nothing we can do to change it. We're getting this ride as is no matter how we want things. I'm moving past this one and looking forward to Super Nintendo World, and hoping for more different and exciting attractions following these past few screen based rides.
That's so true. No matter how crap F&F will be it'll be really popular at the start, and the guys pushing it will point to how successful it is.

JoeCamel

It appeals to the "trashy" demographic, which, unfortunately, makes up more of Universal's clientele than Disney's.
Really?

I thinking this was you 9 years ago from Doz Boards. Vilified for this post
"I am in Orlando for 9 days for my kid's school vacation week. We have been to Disney a few times, and unless you are brain dead (or working with a double digit IQ), how many times can you go to the same park? So, to change things up, my family and I went to Universal for the first time yesterday, 4/12/08. All I can ask is; who gave out the free passes to the trailer park and is there anyone in Orlando under 250 lbs, with all their teeth and who doesn't have a tattoo?

The morning started easily enough, we arrived at 10:00 AM and lucked out getting a parking spot at the top of the garage right in front of the escalator. We chose to start out in Universal Studios, had our pictures taken with Lisa Simpson, and in we went. As it turns out, my first interaction with anyone was in line for meal bracelets with a gentleman from England. He was intelligent, well rounded, and we had a nice conversation about world events and politics. (He doesn't think Gordon Brown is any better than Tony Blair, and we both agreed Bush is a moron)

The first thing we noticed was how many adults were there without children. The second thing we noticed was how many of those adults were morbidly obese. I have never seen so many overweight people together since, well, Disney World. It must be the never ending parade of crappy chain and fast food restaurants that litter every road in Orlando. I swear, the people in Orlando wouldn't know good food if they over ate it since their taste buds must have been destroyed by all the processed food they've ingested over the years.

Speaking of food (if you want to call it food), the fare offered through the meal plan is terrible at best, and disgusting at worst. Pizza, hamburgers, fried food, fat, sodium, cholesterol and chemicals, all part of a typical American's diet. But the ultimate in gross food, the giant turkey leg. Are you kidding me? There is nothing like seeing a 450 lb. woman in a motorized cart because she is too obese to walk, stuffing her fat face with a huge turkey leg while she has a huge soft pretzel and a bag of candy in her cart basket. Nice.

While I am on the subject, for those of you who are not particularly intelligent, I would like to point out the universally accepted signs of ignorance (in no particular order). Tattoos, wife beaters or tank tops, jean shorts, cigarettes, chewing gum, stretch pants, T-shirts with stupid slogans on them, missing teeth, don't wash your hands after using the bathroom, wear your baseball cap sideways or backwards, have your child on a leash, wear tight shorts and a bikini top while you are over weight, don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" and mullets. All of which were in tremendous supply at Universal. If you fall into any of these categories then you are a disgusting, ignorant loser, and a proud typical American. Congratulations.

Next topic, beer and cigarettes. As much as I was blown away by the amount of people smoking cigarettes anywhere they wanted, which was confirmed by the amount of cigarette butts on the ground everywhere, I was more disgusted by the amount of beer being sold on every corner. People were walking around with their children, sucking on beer bottles at very attraction. Incredibly, they were actually selling beer in the line to Disaster! I saw empty beer bottles everywhere; on the street, on benches, in bushes, in plants. And where were the park employees to clean up the mess? Either they were invisible, they were disguised as trees, or they didn't exist. There was litter all over the park. And what's with the parents drinking at the bar at Finnegan's while their children waited for them at the table?

Ironically, the best attraction at Universal was Disaster. The volunteer "actors" and filming were entertaining, the ride was good, and the film and Christopher Walken were very funny. I would have liked to see Jaws, but it broke down and never re-opened. Twister was very good, as was Shrek. Men in Black was dated and a waste of time.

We went to Islands of Adventure and really enjoyed the coasters, but enjoyed watching all the thug kids and their outfits better. You have to love the oversized, gaudy jewelry and gold teeth. And what's with the girls and their ridiculously tight shorts and bikini tops? If you have a great body then that's one thing, but needless to say, that was few and far between.

We passed through Riverwalk on our way out and were surprised to see how many bars and drinking you had to pass through with your children. I also saw that a school was having their prom there and that some "lucky" couple actually got married at Universal and was having their reception at the Hard Rock Hotel. I swear I am not making that up.

I could go on, but you get the drift. Although there was one thought my wife and I asked ourselves once we left, "how can all these people afford to come here?"

Troy1288, Apr 13, 2008"

Might want to read the replies
https://www.disboards.com/threads/universal-white-trash-is-disney-next.1790350/

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

That's not me. Look, for years I didn't want to believe it but when you spend lots of time at both resorts and look at them both objectively, it's not to hard to see that the clientele is trashier than at Disney. It is of course a very small percentage overall. A big reason is that the local trash doesn't get Disney AP's, they get Universal. I'm also not saying that all of central Floridians are trashy people but the trash that does exist is rarely seen at Disney.

Just to be fair, Disney has the higher percentage of coddled, entitled types that get angry at everything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom