News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Maeryk

Test Track has always been squarely focused on Chevrolet's testing and design process, not unsuccessful Disney movie franchises.
I think you're reading too much into the black/blue color scheme.
Tron is coming to Tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom because the land needs an update, MK could always use more capacity, and the Shanghai Tron ride is a nice attraction with 95% of the design work already done.
Disney isn't putting the Tron ride in to fill a black-and-blue gridlines-based hole in their overall resort aesthetic. Vague similarities between it and Test Track and incidental.

Unsuccessful? Tron keys into a demographic.. my demographic. Much like Peter Pan keys into my parent's demographic. And Frozen ever after keys into my kids demographic. Disney has always been about leveraging any/all IPs into their parks. From Swiss Family Robinson (who, aside from me, has ever actually seen the original?) to Song of the South.. only sideways referenced in Splash Mountain, to the ill fated (with the exception of PotC_) in park IPs turned movie.. (haunted mansion, country bears, tomorrowland..).

MK will always be the flagship park. It will always get new stuff, and it will always adapt to suit. That's just how it is. They can easily repaint the rocks or the buildings in Tomorrowland to match the color scheme.. or adapt the Tron shroud to fit. Ground has not been broken, we have no idea what it's going to look like. What we have is a bunch of people sitting here grumping that "it's not right".. who will still pony up their 130$~ to go to the park, look at it in person, and go "it doesn't look right".. which to Disney is a win/win.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Test Track looking similar to TRON does not make it “themed” as TRON.
I couldn't agree more! Did I say Test Track was Tron-themed? No I said it was mostly Tron in theme and that overlay is Tron-inspired. It's Tron-like... see the video. In the future it would be wise to quote an entire post not pick and choose phrases you deemed credible to your argumentative narrative. Test Track isn't Tron it looks Tron. It's thematic visage is Tron-esque. Thank you for agreeing with me. My point however was that it could have been themed to Tron seeing as how it LOOKS like Tron.

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The question is will they retheme the speedway to match the tron aesthetic.
Or vice versa. lol The Tron aesthetic is it's own thing; if it will be applied to the Speedway OR if the rest of Tomorrowland will be given bits of a "Tron treatment" remains to be seen.

Bairstow

Why do you think they painted the rocks blue?... it's only a matter of time until everything else is as well.

I don't see them as related. They'll need to repaint those rocks again before the Tron attraction opens anyway.

Last edited:

No Name

Wait! So Chevrolet is a sponsor of Tron in Shanghai? Then why the hell didn't TestTrack go full-on Tron?!

Chevrolet didn't decide to sponsor the Tron coaster in Shanghai until some time after the Test Track overhaul was completed.

And at that point, the coaster was already fully designed and well under construction. If the sponsorship deal were made early in SDL's design process, I think you'd be seeing a very different ride. One that, you know, relates to Chevrolet in some fashion. One that isn't tied to Tron.

I must ask... why do you think Chevrolet would want Test Track to be Tron themed? They don't. it wouldn't make sense ride-wise, and it would weaken the promotional value for Chevy.

I might have missed this posted somewhere else but is this going to be part of MKs TRON?

No. Because, far as I know, they're not sponsoring MK's version. They already sponsor Test Track.

The Tron coaster in Shanghai does not at all relate to Chevrolet, which is why this additional thing was built. Like I said above, that's why if Chevy came on board earlier in the SDL design process, you'd be seeing a very different ride.

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I'm going to take this paragraph by paragraph so I don't miss anything. This is nothing at you directly just an easier way to respond to questions you're asking.

egg said:
Chevrolet didn't decide to sponsor the Tron coaster in Shanghai until some time after the Test Track overhaul was completed. True. They saw it as a good fit for their company and wanted to further utilize that visual aesthetic.

And at that point, the coaster was already fully designed and well under construction. If the sponsorship deal were made early in SDL's design process, I think you'd be seeing a very different ride. Sigh. One that, you know, relates to Chevrolet in some fashion. One that isn't tied to Tron. Ah! But see Chevrolet likes Tron. It's a face for their brand that gets the aspect of technological advances in car manufacturing across to their key consumers. It's good for marketing. Tron is associated with Chevy. Chevy and Tron. This was a mutual decision. Pretty sure Chevy was OK with the Tron-like design or they wouldn't have agreed to it. It's why they've used in in their marketing material. It's why they made a 2016 Tron-inspired Car. You can't honestly tell me that Chevrolet isn't banking on the Tron aesthetic to push it's cars and company ideals.

I must ask... why do you think Chevrolet would want Test Track to be Tron themed? See above reason. They don't. it wouldn't make sense ride-wise, and it would weaken the promotional value for Chevy. I don't think that's an issue. A ride can still be a Tron ride and support a sponsor. See Tron Light Cycles in Shanghai for example.

No. Because, far as I know, they're not sponsoring MK's version. So you're saying you don't know. Well they should! It'd be foolish not to Right? They already sponsor Test Track. Exactly! Which is why I brought up the original question of why Test Track 2.0 doesn't just go FULL-TILT Tron sponsored by Chevy. Knowing Chevrolet already has a brand awareness with Tron in Shanghai, the Tron Cruze car and other marketing; Disney had an easy in by possibly converting Test Track 2.0 into a fully realized Tron attraction without much effort. Instead they opted for a clone in Tomorowland. Nothing wrong with that. It just doesn't make sense to me personally.

The Tron coaster in Shanghai does not at all relate to Chevrolet, which is why this additional thing was built. To tie it in. Nothing wrong with that. It would essentially be the same thing in reverse had Imagineering converted TestTrack 2.0 to TronTrack by Chevrolet. Like I said above, that's why if Chevy came on board earlier in the SDL design process, you'd be seeing a very different ride. I doubt that.

My point is: Why the hate and why does this discussion have to have such polarity? Can we not talk Tron's aesthetic or theme, ha. without this bullheaded one-on-one. To anyone in the know...I would still like to know why TestTrack wasn't simply changed with Tron's presence expanded in Epcot? It had to be considered right? To all the others that want to make this some weird debate instead of a discussion let's talk about an issue I think is more pressing... The theme of Tomorrowland and how the Tron coaster fits that theme.

Last edited:

No Name

I'm going to take this paragraph by paragraph so I don't miss anything.

My point is: Why the hate and why does this discussion have to have such polarity? Can we not talk Tron's aesthetic or theme, ha. without this bullheaded one-on-one. To anyone in the know...I would still like to know why TestTrack wasn't simply changed with Tron's presence expanded in Epcot? It had to be considered right? To all the others that want to make this a debate instead of discussion let's talk about an issue I think is more pressing... The theme of Tomorrowland and how the Tron coaster fits that theme.

Okay, I disagree with a lot of that. I'll keep this one shorter.

So yes, I understand the connection between Tron's futurtic look and Chevy's image. But Test Track specifically promotes the design goals of Chevrolet's cars. Power, responsiveness, capability, and efficiency, and how those things balance. The showroom at the end continues this.
The Tron coaster simply doesn't promote the brand to the same degree Test Track does. That's because it's about Tron, not about vehicle design.

But disregarding all that, my burning question is... How would Tron make Test Track any better? Why do you think that's a good idea?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
egg said:
Okay, I disagree with a lot of that. I'll keep this one shorter.

So yes, I understand the connection between Tron's futurtic look and Chevy's image. But Test Track specifically promotes the design goals of Chevrolet's cars. Power, responsiveness, capability, and efficiency, and how those things balance. The showroom at the end continues this.
The Tron coaster simply doesn't promote the brand to the same degree Test Track does. That's because it's about Tron, not about vehicle design.

But disregarding all that, my burning question is... How would Tron make Test Track any better? Why do you think that's a good idea?

Well. I mean we can agree to disagree. I'm cool with that. Actually I'm tired of responding to your questions so I'm done. Your question regarding Tron and how that would make Test Track any better would be a question better left to Imagineering.

Sped2424

*Sits on bench outside of Test Track a few years from now*

*Couple exits out of Test Track*

Person 1: Man, that Tron ride was so great!
Person 2: Yea i agree, but we werent riding on light cycles like shown in the promo!
Person 1: Oh well, let's just go to Hollywood Studios and walk through Harry Potter Land.

*eats Dolewhip shamefully*
*Me staring at you wondering why and how you brought a Dole Whip all the way from the Magic Kingdom/Polynesian to Epcot*

lazyboy97o

I couldn't agree more! Did I say Test Track was Tron-themed? No I said it was mostly Tron in theme and that overlay is Tron-inspired. It's Tron-like... see the video. In the future it would be wise to quote an entire post not pick and choose phrases you deemed credible to your argumentative narrative. Test Track isn't Tron it looks Tron. It's thematic visage is Tron-esque. Thank you for agreeing with me. My point however was that it could have been themed to Tron seeing as how it LOOKS like Tron.
Which is it? Looking alike does not mean something could be “themed” to something else. That only works if Theme is mostly about aesthetics.

I did quote you’re whole post and you didn’t get it. The little up arrow next to user names takes people to a post if they wish to see the entire post.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom