News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Maeryk

The question is will they retheme the speedway to match the tron aesthetic.

There's not much theme to speedway as is.. wouldn't be too hard to change the car styles. Maybe go electric? Who knows. The cars have certainly be reshelled over the years. I wonder if they can get biodiesel engines for those.. run em on used cooking oil or something. Lol.

DABIGCHEEZ

While I am thankful that this is something new being built and not just taking over an existing attraction... I have never liked the same attractions at different Disney Parks. Use the same ride type/tech and at least theme it to something different(or be Old-time Disney creative and theme to something completely original), for a somewhat different experience.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
After looking at the new paint job to CoP and the Tomorrowland rocks, how does the Tron building fit in aesthetically? I was wondering if the re-design of Tomorrowland has changed or is the Tron building going to be modified.

"Are you kidding? It fits like a glove!"(people might say) I myself disagree with that analogy.

Tomorrowland doesn't mesh with Tron or vice versa. Now people might say Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor fails to match the aesthetic. But it too is retro in design so it somewhat fits. Tron doesn't! The "fits like a glove" analogy is a misnomer. It fits because it Sci-Fi. But Sci-fi in itself is just a hodgepodge of themes. It's a category. Tommorowland is not a category. It's a single theme of a land. It was never meant to be a hodgepodge.

I don't agree with people saying Tron fits Tommorowland anymore than I agree with people claiming Guardians of the Galaxy fits Future World. Ideally those two IPs should have swapped places, IMO. At least then the theme and visual aesthetic would match their respective lands.

That said, TRON can* fit Tomorowland and I do hope Imagineering can find a way to make the building and concept fit the aesthetic of Tomorrowland better. Cause right now It's still an "apples to oranges" comparison. As to your question specifically; I honestly don't know. They match as best they can given the color scheme and paint job but that still doesn't mean it fits aesthetically, IMHO.

huwar18

"Are you kidding? It fits like a glove!"(people might say) I myself disagree with that analogy.

Tomorrowland doesn't mesh with Tron or vice versa. Now people might say Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor fails to match the aesthetic. But it too is retro in design so it somewhat fits. Tron doesn't! The "fits like a glove" analogy is a misnomer. It fits because it Sci-Fi. But Sci-fi in itself is just a hodgepodge of themes. It's a category. Tommorowland is not a category. It's a single theme of a land. It was never meant to be a hodgepodge.

I don't agree with people saying Tron fits Tommorowland anymore than I agree with people claiming Guardians of the Galaxy fits Future World. Ideally those two IPs should have swapped places, IMO. At least then the theme and visual aesthetic would match their respective lands.

That said, TRON can* fit Tomorowland and I do hope Imagineering can find a way to make the building and concept fit the aesthetic of Tomorrowland better. Cause right now It's still an "apples to oranges" comparison. As to your question specifically; I honestly don't know. They match as best they can given the color scheme and paint job but that still doesn't mean it fits aesthetically, IMHO.
I don't know why but it just caught my attention lol. I was looking at the concept art, Shanghia's and our Tomorrowland and it just doesn't mesh. The concept art looks really nice next to Space Mountain's clean white look. However, Tomorrowland has that retro color scheme. I don't get it.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Yeah I asked the other day if anyone knew if Chevy was sponsoring this in MK too? They could also possibly sponsor the newly reimagined speedway?

It just seems really dumb to 90% Tron on Test Track and then decide to build a Tron ride in MK. A clone of a ride. I'm not knocking it I just don't get it. Maybe they are going to sponsor Tron in MK and eventually the Speedway. But what of TronTrack? This whole "Tron in MK" thing makes little sense when the larger picture reveals they could have fleshed out a Tron area in Epcot where the IP actually fit.

Last edited:

Movielover

I never get the whole "IP's should never ever ever under any circumstances be allowed anywhere near the ultra perfect, certainly not outdated, precious Epcot, but go ahead and slap the Tron IP on one of the only non IP E-ticket original rides in the park."? The outcry on this, like anything Epcot related on here, is kind ridiculous. Why is it that Test Track has to be Tron related? It's art style, although digital related, is still completely different than Tron's..

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I never get the whole "IP's should never ever ever under any circumstances be allowed anywhere near the ultra perfect, certainly not outdated, precious Epcot, but go ahead and slap the Tron IP on one of the only non IP E-ticket original rides in the park."? The outcry on this, like anything Epcot related on here, is kind ridiculous. Why is it that Test Track has to be Tron related? It's art style, although digital related, is still completely different than Tron's..

I'm not quite sure what you're on about regarding Epcot and how that has any bearing on the discussion but Test Track "is" mostly Tron in theme. A quick comparison of the ride with the video above clearly shows it's a Tron-inspired overlay.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I never get the whole "IP's should never ever ever under any circumstances be allowed anywhere near the ultra perfect, certainly not outdated, precious Epcot, but go ahead and slap the Tron IP on one of the only non IP E-ticket original rides in the park."?

Because different people have different opinions on what should be done at Epcot.

The outcry on this, like anything Epcot related on here, is kind ridiculous. Why is it that Test Track has to be Tron related? It's art style, although digital related, is still completely different than Tron's..

I would hardly term this an "outcry" just an idea someone brought up.

Movielover

Because different people have different opinions on what should be done at Epcot.

pg2nz.jpg

Bairstow

It just seems really dumb to 90% Tron on Test Track and then decide to build a Tron ride in MK. A clone of a ride. I'm not knocking it I just don't get it. Maybe they are going to sponsor Tron in MK and eventually the Speedway. But what of TronTrack? This whole "Tron in MK" thing makes little sense when the larger picture reveals they could have fleshed out a Tron area in Epcot where the IP actually fit.

Test Track has always been squarely focused on Chevrolet's testing and design process, not unsuccessful Disney movie franchises.
I think you're reading too much into the black/blue color scheme.
Tron is coming to Tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom because the land needs an update, MK could always use more capacity, and the Shanghai Tron ride is a nice attraction with 95% of the design work already done.
Disney isn't putting the Tron ride in to fill a black-and-blue gridlines-based hole in their overall resort aesthetic. Vague similarities between it and Test Track and incidental.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom