News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

EricsBiscuit

Hopefully this ride has some cool special effects. Honestly, I think the ride is totally out of place. Hopefully there is an inspiring or uplifting narrative in it, that would help ease the wound a bit of having nothing to do with energy, health etc. After watching all of Martin's videos documenting the different attractions, what really struck me was how technically ahead of it's time EPCOT Center was. I mean come on, JII having more SFX than MK opening day! Amazing! Hopefully they do something really groundbreaking, centered around an uplifting and inspiring story. Finally, I hope that the ride system actually works opening day unlike SSE, JII, TT, and UOE. Also, I think Martin mentioned a long a** time ago about a possible educational component that was unlikely, any word on that?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I don't think anyone mentioned this here, but a hint as to the possible storyline of the attraction, the statue thing out front looks like the style of the Xandar people in the first movie...implying that this may be a Xandar related building.

Daveeeeed

In one of the ride's random variations, Rocket actually says "Disneyland? That's thematically inconsistent!"
Pretty smart actually if you ask me. I'll admit its placement was wrong, but imagine if it was a new build drop tower in a new Marvel Land and Rocket said that line, it's genius! Fortunately, the placement in Hollywoodland is only odd right now, and it's sad we lost the Tower in the process, but they nailed the IP implementation as a ride. It flawlessly showed off the characters.

MaximumEd

With UOE going away and Ellens robotic going to the Hall of Presidents, HAR HAR, that leaves what are they going to build in the new structure. has it been confirmed to be a coaster?? If so I wonder how they are going to spice it up because coaster are sort of boring.... Unless you add DISCO YETTI, that'll catch your attention.
But I am guessing the ride is supposed to be like rockets?? and perhaps we will fly in the universe with the glactic heros to fight off foes???? Do we get shoosting guns to fire at targets?? That'd be cool. Maybe some twists and loops, some zero gravity hills....... If they are designing the coaster NOW somewhere, the ideas are limitless.................. Hall of Presidents... ha ha ha, get it, Ellen, with the presidents, ha

Do you read any of the threads on here? Have you read this very thread?

Kman101

I know people think it's cute Rocket points out Disneyland but I don't. I hate these rides are set in the parks they're in. The fact is they knew it was the wrong place so they have him comment on it. Just like insulting us by telling us Quill visited Epcot as a kid to justify the ride being in Epcot.

Phantom Mickey

the poster means the concept for it. Just like you can't see the hidden mickey that is the central (well, was) area of DHS, without pulling back and seeing the full view. A lot of the ideas that the original EPCOT concept included have been realized.. outside of EPCOT proper. It even, if you squint and turn your head sideways, kinda resembles the layout a bit.
THnx

The land should be its own "world". It would be the same as riding Thunder Mountain and hearing a prospector yell "Is that Space Mountain?" Were not suppose to be in theme parks but real worlds. EPCOT is the exception to this rule for Future World but that doesn't make Guardians any less of a fit.

I know people think it's cute Rocket points out Disneyland but I don't. I hate these rides are set in the parks they're in. The fact is they knew it was the wrong place so they have him comment on it. Just like insulting us by telling us Quill visited Epcot as a kid to justify the ride being in Epcot.

Going to play devil's advocate here for a minute. Normally, I'd agree with both of the above, but I'd argue that this actually fits at DCA. From what I understand, California Adventure was created to celebrate the great parts of the State of California (or a very thinly veiled cash-grab, but that's a different argument).

Disneyland is a part of that. Heck, in the original Soarin', you end by flying over DL during the fireworks. It was never an immersive park that transported you to another world or into a movie, at least not until Cars Land opened. And until 'Marvel Land' opens out there, and we're supposedly transported into the world of comics/comic book movies, I don't really have a problem with it. It doesn't break an immersion, IMO, since the riders were not supposed to have left Cali in the first place. For me it's less "'Is that Space Mountain?' from BMR", and more "'Is that Yankee Stadium?' from the Empire State Building". Do I think Guardians of the ToT is still a cash grab to capitalize on the new movie? Definitely. But there are worse things they could've done.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about them pulling the same thing in Epcot though, I need to see how it "ties in" before I can form an opinion. As a matter of fact, that's how I feel about the whole attraction: Just wait and see before I form any solid opinion on it.

Mike S

Someone over on OU pointed this out and thought I'd share it here. Not only does the Marvel contract prevent many characters from being used at WDW and the Marvel name being used anywhere in the US, it also prevents Disney from building a Marvel themed simulator.
  • Restrictions as to the geographic location of The Marvel Action Universe in areas where [Comcast] has exclusive rights hereunder.....iii.Within the ADI market of the city containing a Universal Theme Park (even to the extent such ADI exceeds a 60 mile radius) there shall not be a Marvel themed simulator ride.
Mission Breakout isn't a simulator due to the fact that there's no syncing between the movements of the vehicles and the on screen action. So, in conclusion, if the GotG ride coming to Epcot ends up being mostly physical you can thank that pesky contract with Universal ;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Someone over on OU pointed this out and thought I'd share it here. Not only does the Marvel contract prevent many characters from being used at WDW and the Marvel name being used anywhere in the US, it also prevents Disney from building a Marvel themed simulator.

Mission Breakout isn't a simulator due to the fact that there's no syncing between the movements of the vehicles and the on screen action. So, in conclusion, if the GotG ride coming to Epcot ends up being mostly physical you can thank that pesky contract with Universal ;)

Playing devil's advocate to this...

The part you quote refers to a now-defunct plan by Marvel (before Disney bought them) to create "The Marvel Action Universe" which is, I suppose, something more akin to an arcade than a full theme park. The prohibition of a simulator is connected to this section of the contract dealing the tMAU and not mentioned at all in the section referring to theme parks. This whole section of the contract (like many other sections) should be ignored since its condition (tMAU) never materialized.

Also, in Mission Breakout the screen has a parallax effect that moves in sync with the bobbing elevator, so, if 'syncing' is essential to one's definition of 'simulator', then MB is a simulator.

Mike S

Playing devil's advocate to this...

The part you quote refers to a now-defunct plan by Marvel (before Disney bought them) to create "The Marvel Action Universe" which is, I suppose, something more akin to an arcade than a full theme park. The prohibition of a simulator is connected to this section of the contract dealing the tMAU and not mentioned at all in the section referring to theme parks. This whole section of the contract (like many other sections) should be ignored since its condition (tMAU) never materialized.

Also, in Mission Breakout the screen has a parallax effect that moves in sync with the bobbing elevator, so, if 'syncing' is essential to one's definition of 'simulator', then MB is a simulator.
The Marvel Action Universe stuff still applies and I don't think that one effect is enough to qualify MB as a simulator compared to something like Spider-Man.

DARN YOU DISNEY!

While Ellen's Energy Adventure may not be everybody's cup of tea, it still at least keeps the original ideas. Guardians of the Galaxy "staying true to the original vision" my a@&. We're losing the awesome paint and the fountain, and Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't even take place in the future. It seems as if Test Track is the only futuristic thing in FUTURE WORLD. Nemo taking over The Living Seas, Wonders of Life closed, Journey into Imagination just isn't the same, Innoventions really is just a corporate apartment space with cozy construction walls, and Mission: SPACE is getting dated in both technology and, well, the actual date the ride happens. Some may argue that Future World was never 100% futuristic (e.g. The Land), it was still designed as a permanent World's Fair, showing futuristic technologies, whimsical attractions, and representations of other nations. But nothing is going to change the money-making machine that Disney is currently. Disney Parks: We intricately theme each future themed land in Disney World, and then tear it apart with our Disney IPs despite protests.
Me: Slow, sarcastic applause.

Cmdr_Crimson

Oh! How about this...Chris Pratt goes on Ellen...To tell her she's been Evicted From The Universe of Energy.....
chris-p.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom