Rumor Brazil is the frontrunner for a new World Showcase Pavilion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpyhnt 1000

With World Showcase needing capacity, why wouldn't the suits approve an attraction to go with the Brazil pavilion? Is it just a case of money?

Honestly, given the choice between a pavilion with what would likely be an IP based ride or one without, I might actually prefer the latter. Much rather the pavilion be centered around what World Showcase is supposed to be about - culture, architecture, cuisine - instead of a cartoon dark ride because the current leadership has an obsession with IPs.

Im all for rides, but they gotta be about the country. We don't need another Frozen-esque intrusion.

And at any rate, I suspect Disney feels it is addressing some of the capacity issues with France getting Ratatouille and the U.K. probably getting something as well. That would push the attraction count of WS up to 8 (4 rides, 4 shows), plus the various meet and greets, exhibit areas, and live performances.

Sir_Cliff

They do. But not in the numbers Disney wants to attract, and generally not in school trips, etc. Brazil is a huge market for Orlando.. not just in tourism, but property sales as well. They are actively courting Brazilian tourists.
This is kind of wandering off topic, but they have been marketing Disneyland very heavily in Australia in recent years and I think it is a good market for them. I don't know quite how many Australians visit Disneyland, but 604,000 visited California last year which meant Australia was the state's fifth largest international source of tourists after Mexico, Canada, China, and the UK. I'd imagine a large percentage of them do visit Disneyland. That said, over a million Brazilians visited Florida last year!

Regardless, I think the calculation in Florida regarding an Australia pavilion would be a) whether someone was willing to pay for it; and b) whether they thought it would be an attractive addition for guests.

Maeryk

This is kind of wandering off topic, but they have been marketing Disneyland very heavily in Australia in recent years and I think it is a good market for them. I don't know quite how many Australians visit Disneyland, but 604,000 visited California last year which meant Australia was the state's fifth largest international source of tourists after Mexico, Canada, China, and the UK. I'd imagine a large percentage of them do visit Disneyland. That said, over a million Brazilians visited Florida last year!

Regardless, I think the calculation in Florida regarding an Australia pavilion would be a) whether someone was willing to pay for it; and b) whether they thought it would be an attractive addition for guests.

About 2 million Brazilian tourists in the US annually (at least as of 2013, which are the most recent numbers I can find) and 35.7% of them (at the time) went directly to Orlando. It's nothing to sneeze at. And featuring a country in the park is a good thing for tourists from that country. It shows the park actually considered them.

(edit) Found 2015 numbers.. 1.47 million. To Florida. It's a big market.

lazyboy97o

The Pavilion is being built because of sponsorship. It really doesn’t matter what tourism statistics look like. If someone offered up the money to build an Andorra Pavilion, Disney isn’t going to refuse the money because other nationalities have higher visitation.

Sir_Cliff

The Pavilion is being built because of sponsorship. It really doesn’t matter what tourism statistics look like. If someone offered up the money to build an Andorra Pavilion, Disney isn’t going to refuse the money because other nationalities have higher visitation.
I think they have turned down proposals from outside investors, haven't they? If I remember correctly, a bunch of Korean investors put together money for a pavilion some years back and Disney ultimately told them they didn't think the pavilion would be a big enough draw or something along those likes.

Club34

i predict big epcot announcements at the next D23 [in 2019?] in anticipation for epcot's 40th anniversary which will be 2022. similar to the timing we saw for this D23 announcing significant stuff in anticipation for WDW 50th. so get some trips planned for 2021-2023. should be a fine time to visit with all the stuff coming online.

clemmo

How big roughly would a brazil pavilion be? I feel like just looking at a map it would be one of the smaller pavilions.

Maeryk

How big roughly would a brazil pavilion be? I feel like just looking at a map it would be one of the smaller pavilions.

Same size as the others. There are gaps left for new ones. And remember, they are wedge shaped.

Frankiepopsicles

IMG_2517.JPG
IMG_2518.JPG
Is the Equatorial Africa we could have had?

Attachments

• IMG_2517.JPG
    IMG_2517.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2518.JPG
    IMG_2518.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 65
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom