News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Phroobar

My last visit was about 16 months ago and the Cove Bar hostess took my cell phone number and texted me when they had a table. Is this no longer happening?
It wasn't too long ago that you could just walk up to the Cove Bar and order a drink. That place is a victim of internet hype just like Dole Whips. Sometimes I think the world (at least Disneyland) would be better off without the Internet.

Professortango1

My last visit was about 16 months ago and the Cove Bar hostess took my cell phone number and texted me when they had a table. Is this no longer happening?

There's usually a line to put your number in. And we usually would decide we need a break and pop over to the Cove Bar for a drink and a bite in the shade. Now; if you need a break, then you wait in line and wait for them to text you. By the time they text you, we're ready to start moving again. I'm not going to sit around and take a break while waiting to sit around and take a break.

SSG

It wasn't too long ago that you could just walk up to the Cove Bar and order a drink. That place is a victim of internet hype just like Dole Whips. Sometimes I think the world (at least Disneyland) would be better off without the Internet.
A good time killer if you are waiting in the Cove Bar line; me and the Mrs would switch between waiting in line and hitting single rider on Screamin'. It was never more than 5-6 minutes to get on. Then I'd take her place in line and she'd go ride. We each got 3-4 rides in before we got a table.

nevol

They should have kept Superstar Limo and demolished the rest of the park.
lol i love you. This all started when TP2000 ripped on Barry Braverman, which led me to an old season pass podcast during which he talks about superstar limo and he was objective about it but by way of not agreeing it was a disaster seemed defensive. Now when I watch videos of it again, I see and can't shake his point. It was a sarcastic, cynical, pun-riddled ride through hollywood that mocked celebrity tabloid culture.

The guide maps however described it as "A glitzy ride through LA's star-studded streets." In a land that was intended to embody the golden age of hollywood and play up the [un]fascinating process of moviemaking magic. The aesthetic did not deliver on either guests' expectations given the guide map setup, nor did it fulfill, anchor, or exemplify the themes of the land. Disney very easily could have changed the way they talked about it so that people would understand that it was a parody, a sort of ride-through family guy episode, so that guest expectation was humor. Instead of letting guests in on the joke, Disney played a joke on them. That would be like booking an airline ticket and arriving at the gate to see a shuttle bus; it could be the best darn shuttle bus you ever saw but if you were expecting an airplane, your only thought would be shock, horror, and how this was the worst airline on the planet.

The confusion and disappointment that is superstar limo is so typical of DCA. It was so all over the place and didn't even know what it was or what it wanted to be. Rides contradicting one another in tone and theme. Stepping out of golden dreams theater after an emotional and inspiring retrospective of california history into a wacky carnival... Not saying they should have kept it or that it should come back, but: Had the ride been marketed as a joke, if hollywoodland was anchored by a bigger attraction that exemplified and fulfilled people's expectations of what a hollywood land ought to look and feel like, and if it was in a cartoonified sub-land a la toontown with roger rabbit, where the land's manifestation theme and smaller size denounces that its contents and themes are an alternative, antithesis, another perspective of the primary land's identity, I think there is a chance it would have survived. A peeling back of the curtain to reveal the underbelly or darker side of the story. Taking a critical perspective of celebrity culture. Elsewhere in the land, a has-been hollywood starlet kills her lover a la Sunset Boulevard. Roger rabbit as a clean way to present class conflict and crime stories as the film did. etc etc.

Last edited:

nevol

Some guy was complaining about how bad disneyland wifi is, to the extent that now when hes in the parks he turns his wifi off. This was BEFORE he had a reason to, with maxpass. My head kind of exploded. You are at the most overstimulating place on earth and for some reason need wifi? Also a foreign concept to me to be the type to leave wifi on all the time and hop onto a bunch of shady public networks so to each their own.

D

Deleted member 107043

A good time killer if you are waiting in the Cove Bar line; me and the Mrs would switch between waiting in line and hitting single rider on Screamin'. It was never more than 5-6 minutes to get on. Then I'd take her place in line and she'd go ride. We each got 3-4 rides in before we got a table.

Sounds like DCA could use another bar/restaurant with a nice view. Maybe they'll add one as part of the Pixar Pier deal.

nevol

Sounds like DCA could use another bar/restaurant with a nice view. Maybe they'll add one as part of the Pixar Pier deal.

Coming soon to a Disney Parks Blog near you: New Pixar themed cocktails at Pixar Pier, Pixar Bar, and Pixar Pier Hotel! The Dirty Lassetter Martini is a dirty vodka martini with olives in a specialty Pixar cocktail glass! The Pixar cocktail glass is available for a limited time only for the price of $25! Come in and have a delicious themed drink with us while supplies last!!!!!!

COVEBAR.jpg

I'm not getting paid enough for this gig.

Phroobar

Some guy was complaining about how bad disneyland wifi is, to the extent that now when hes in the parks he turns his wifi off. This was BEFORE he had a reason to, with maxpass. My head kind of exploded. You are at the most overstimulating place on earth and for some reason need wifi? Also a foreign concept to me to be the type to leave wifi on all the time and hop onto a bunch of shady public networks so to each their own.
Logging onto a public WiFi without a personal VPN is a great way to be a victim of identity thift. It's really easy to get into a unprotected iPhone on public WiFi.

nevol

Logging onto a public WiFi without a personal VPN is a great way to be a victim of identity thift. It's really easy to get into a unprotected iPhone on public WiFi.
I suppose people are afraid of getting internet over the 4g LTE networks because... its costly? Their data plans aren't unlimited? I don't know. i have an unlimited plan and I've never thought twice about it and I can get 4g LTE internet everywhere on verizon except Yosemite it seems. The price of identity theft is far worse than the extra 10 dollars a month for an upgraded data plan.

Phroobar

The wall at the end of the tacky America scene in it's a small world looks like it could've been lifted from Superstar Limo. Every time I float by it I think, is this what it was like?
I think it really did come out of Super Lame Limo. It was about the right time.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I rode Superstar Limo about a month after DCA opened and it was one of the worst things ever. In fact, DCA was so bad I didn't go back until 2010. It's like the park didn't even exist. Granted, I didn't visit DL more than once a year back then. All those years, I could have been riding TOT :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom