News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Phantom Mickey

After having watched a POV video of the one in Shanghai, I'm very excited although it seems like odd placement for it. I think they needed to replace the Speedway altogether with this ride, and now they definitely at least need to retheme the Speedway which doesn't fit the area at all.
------------
I agree. I had read somewhere that there were talks to demo the speedway but this shows the speedway stays.

Phantom Mickey

Here's a video of the Shanghai attraction for reference:

-----------------
OK so question....
The guest seems to be into the vehicle, similarly to the ride vehicle in Pandora RIGHT OF PASSAGE. The Pandora vehicle has difficulties with large "FLUFFY" people and many have been turned away. Any idea if this will be the same problem on this ride?

Daveeeeed

-----------------
OK so question....
The guest seems to be into the vehicle, similarly to the ride vehicle in Pandora RIGHT OF PASSAGE. The Pandora vehicle has difficulties with large "FLUFFY" people and many have been turned away. Any idea if this will be the same problem on this ride?
There is standard coaster seating for larger guests and the handicapped at the back car of some trains.

For TRON, unlike Flight of Passage, you should also be in better physical condition to ride, and the seats lean much farther forward akin to speed cycling. So the disability delays and accessibility should be much better than Seven Dwarf Mine Train, where loading a handicapped person can take forever, and larger people cannot ride.

No Name

Tron is such a weird franchise to push. The first film was a bomb that played a key role in bringing Disney to the edge of obliteration in a hostile takeover and got the management team that greenlit it pushed out. The sequel three decades later was ALSO a bomb that halted a planned franchise in its tracks.

It's like building an attraction based on Heaven's Gate.

Disney has the most valuable stock of IPs in the world and they are pushing TRON. You know what you push instead of Tron? Anything Marvel you can use on this side of the Mississippi. Or more Star Wars. Or Indiana Jones. Or an animated film. Or an original IP. Or anything, really.

No no no, the IP is very popular. Very popular in Shanghai, and very popular among many Disney parks fans, including many on this forum. And will soon be very popular among many visitors to the Magic Kingdom.

The IP I'm speaking of is not Tron. It's Tron Lightcycle Power Run. The ride has built a name for itself, just like Splash Mountain is infinitely more popular than Song of the South (as I realize others have said) and the Tower of Terror is arguably more popular than The Twilight Zone.

If the IP isn't popular, well then, it's practically an original ride.

Last edited:

Maeryk

Last thing the MK needs is another spinner. I do agree the Speedway plot should have been used for other things and paved over but if it gets a nice upgrade I'll live with it. I know many enjoy it.

I still think it's the perfect place for an updated terrain ride. I think the problem with it as it sits is that every podunk park has a "drive it yourself" car ride for the kids. Heck, there's one at Knoebels, and it interacts with a roller coaster. TS just sticks out like a sore thumb.. it has no theming, it's 50 year old (or more) tech... I have no idea why it has held on as long as it has.

Kman101

I still think it's the perfect place for an updated terrain ride. I think the problem with it as it sits is that every podunk park has a "drive it yourself" car ride for the kids. Heck, there's one at Knoebels, and it interacts with a roller coaster. TS just sticks out like a sore thumb.. it has no theming, it's 50 year old (or more) tech... I have no idea why it has held on as long as it has.

Agreed. And the track is very ... ugly. There's really nothing to see. I get the appeal for kids driving but other than that, I don't see the appeal in it. At least Disneyland gives you something to look at and better landscaping. Hong Kong had a really nice version that they quickly shut down ... ours paled in comparison to the others by a long shot.

Daveeeeed

Agreed. And the track is very ... ugly. There's really nothing to see. I get the appeal for kids driving but other than that, I don't see the appeal in it. At least Disneyland gives you something to look at and better landscaping. Hong Kong had a really nice version that they quickly shut down ... ours paled in comparison to the others by a long shot.
I feel like hey should have moved the Speedway to go around Test Track and under the outside Track in the back. That way, it would really help pull kids from the Magic Kingdom. Also it would be a nice new build. Of course, since the switch to electric, and an absolute overhaul is happening/likely, it may not be necessary. It does seem like an easy addition though!

Kman101

I feel like hey should have moved the Speedway to go around Test Track and under the outside Track in the back. That way, it would really help pull kids from the Magic Kingdom. Also it would be a nice new build. Of course, since the switch to electric, and an absolute overhaul is happening/likely, it may not be necessary. It does seem like an easy addition though!

I agree. I've long thought they should have moved the speedway to behind Test Track. There was the plan in Project Gemini that had a Junior Autopia going there and I think it was a great idea. Give the kids a car to zip around in while the adults and big kids zip around on Test Track.

HMF

No no no, the IP is very popular. Very popular in Shanghai, and very popular among many Disney parks fans, including many on this forum. And will soon be very popular among many visitors to the Magic Kingdom.

The IP I'm speaking of is not Tron. It's Tron Lightcycle Power Run. The ride has built a name for itself, just like Splash Mountain is infinitely more popular than Song of the South (as I realize others have said) and the Tower of Terror is arguably more popular than The Twilight Zone.

If the IP isn't popular, well then, it's practically an original ride.
I echo this sentiment . I have never seen the tron movies for a long time my only conciseness of it was a joke on the Simpsons. However the tron aesthetic fits tomorrowland like a glove. It would also be preferable to gotg in future world bu that's another can of worms.

Smiley/OCD

7DMT, RnRR, Kali - these are all rides that could be made much, much better just by making them longer. 2-3 minuets seems the standard for rollercoasters elsewhere, I'm curious why Disney insists on building them so short. Surely the incremental cost cannot be that high.
Um, space??? Most of the coasters you're referring to have MUCH bigger footprints that space currently allows at WDW without adding a LARGE expansion. As far as ride time goes, Kingda Ka here in NJ is listed as 50 seconds, start to finish, but that includes leaving the station to the launch point. The AL ride time is 28 seconds...

Smiley/OCD

I agree, but neither does "Big Thunder Mountain Railroad." Many people just call it "Thunder Mountain." Similarly, I assume this will be mostly called "the Tron coaster."

I think it has some drawbacks.

First, as often mentioned, the giant unthemed showbuilding in Shanghai is extremely visible from many places both in and out of the park. A new low for Disney parks. This could most certainly ruin the aesthetics from multiple parts of the MK area as well.

Second, I'm not sure this jives well with Space Mountain. This ride is quite literally a newer version of Space Mountain. The imagineers who designed this ride in place of SM in Shanghai based it's story and flow on SM. That's why there are so many striking similarities.

Oh, and third, it's a clone. Now the ride no longer serves as a draw for Americans to visit SDL.

So while additions are generally good, I do see drawbacks. I don't think it's the best way to spend $200 million.

But then looking at some other decisions they've made, I realize it's far, far from the worst.
I don't think SDL was designed as a "draw" for Americans to travel over there...MAYBE there's a few thousand (and judging by these threads, most of them are on here), who have the $$$ to travel over there (or would want to). For the MILLIONS of park guests who will NEVER travel to SDL, it's not a clone...it's the only Tron coaster we will ever be on...so lighten up, and don't be such a bellyacher. And NO, even if you paid for my trip, I STILL wouldn't go, so I guess I can speak for the "majority", and say we look forward to the NEW Tron attraction.

Daveeeeed

I don't think SDL was designed as a "draw" for Americans to travel over there...MAYBE there's a few thousand (and judging by these threads, most of them are on here), who have the $$$ to travel over there (or would want to). For the MILLIONS of park guests who will NEVER travel to SDL, it's not a clone...it's the only Tron coaster we will ever be on...so lighten up, and don't be such a bellyacher. And NO, even if you paid for my trip, I STILL wouldn't go, so I guess I can speak for the "majority", and say we look forward to the NEW Tron attraction.
I'll be riding it next year:D Fears of international travel, are overblown, and SkyMiles plus booking around prices make it much more affordable than the middle class might think.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom