What do you think of the EPCOT Central Spine redesign?

ThemeParkJunkee

This idea is really beginning to grow on me. Even with the limited, likely changes such as removing the tombstones, adding greenspaces and pathways, water features etc. These small, aesthetic changes will differentiate Epcot from MK's stone and Astroturf aesthetic with it's bench free environment and stroller parking as far as the eye can see.

jessfriends

I know I've said this so many times, but can they get the demo started on the tombstones? I'm really hoping to see some signs of work started while I'm down there over Christmas.

Do we know when the work is starting on EPCOT that we will actually see? I know Aug 13 UoE is closing but will they start anything major while Food & Wine is going on? Just wondering if we will be seeing a ton of wall this year or next year.

Are they able to start the tombstone removal now or will they have to wait until the end dates that were in the contract and save them for last?

Dapper Dan

The varying blue sky art always lends itself to what Marni has hinted at or stated when possible. That's the spine re-do is bringing a more modern look, not in the form of Blade Runner-esque architecture, but in the form of openness, greenery, water, and depending on your viewpoint, elegance. There has been so much discussion over the years about the heat in the tombstone entry and the heat in the "Dutch oven" by communicore with the buildings tightly surrounding the vast sprawl of concrete. Only my opinion, but I think moving toward the wide paths, trees, water, and smaller independent buildings for shops and dining options is the way to go. (Not too mention if gives them more practical real estate for the Food & Wine carts which is really driving their revenue stream.)
Giving people an actual reason to go into those buildings along with giving them a less confusing layout (like they originally had) would be better for escaping the heat.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Giving people an actual reason to go into those buildings along with giving them a less confusing layout (like they originally had) would be better for escaping the heat.

I always thought they designed it slightly differently than they should have. They stated that Communicore was supposed to be like EPCOT Center's Main Street, but it seems that many/most people wouldn't go through it directly.

I still think they should keep the buildings but open them up on the center area and enclose all of it under a clear dome (I know, lots of domes in Epcot but they work!) or just a clear roof...so it makes it more open, but still protected from the elements.

World_Showcase_Lover007

It is obvious by this point that WDW management/Imagineering have not come up with any good ideas about what to do with the existing Innoventions buildings. Or if they have, they refuse to implement these plans. Therefore, why not knock them down and build something people will enjoy instead of having them sit empty? (and I consider them empty because it is an embarrassment what is inside currently). I understand the nostalgia factor, but something has to be done.

Daveeeeed

Exactly. But people seem to still be clinging to what they once were decades ago. I get it, but the park as it once was has been dead a long time.

And now we may get more greenery, more open space, more water features and that still doesn't make some people happy. Instead we get passive aggresssive snark about hot dog vendors and ODV carts ...
Bring the Corn Dogs from Disneyland and put it in Future World please!!!:hungry::hungry:

Bocabear

you have these two enormous buildings that could create a futuristic main street full of interesting shops and restaurants, while providing a covered arcade conntecting them all...instead of leaving them vacant and covered up...
100112_FS_FromTheArchives_EpcotOrigins_TheWorldShowcase_3.1.jpg

Kman101

I get that in theory what the communicore/innoventions building once did but most people would still bypass them. It's better to start over. But the overgrown foliage in front of them doesn't help. Most guests wouldn't get using them as almost like a covered Main Street.

Bocabear

I think if it were cleared out, opened up and landscaped propery, you would TOTALLY get that it is a futuristic Main Street... but filling any and all plaza space with trees and planters, nothing will work... you notice in the art there are many new buildings all in the open plaza space closer to the lagoon... Not sure what the Forest after Spaceship Earth accomplishes...towards the pacing of the park./.. Lots of green space so you can think about what you just saw on your long walk to the next building?

Maeryk

I think if it were cleared out, opened up and landscaped propery, you would TOTALLY get that it is a futuristic Main Street... but filling any and all plaza space with trees and planters, nothing will work... you notice in the art there are many new buildings all in the open plaza space closer to the lagoon... Not sure what the Forest after Spaceship Earth accomplishes...towards the pacing of the park./.. Lots of green space so you can think about what you just saw on your long walk to the next building?

Shade. So people aren't all huddled in the same spot/mobbing the very limited amount of shade available/clogging up the stores/restaurants to get some shade without being an actual customer.

Bocabear

If actually done the right way, the existing buildings have enough room to literally have enclosed air conditioned arcades or galleries that would run the length of the building... plenty of shade... they could also extend a shade structure following the building facade...

Creathir

This is certainly still a work in progress but as of now it's possibly looking like...

New entrance plaza
Part demo of Innoventions
Part new builds around Innoventions
New performance space
New fountains
Possible removal of a few other key structures that I can't mention yet
LOTS of landscaping, parkland, trees, pathways

It's a big project. Futureworld will look very different.

So I know you cannot say much, but I'm guessing things like the Electric Umbrella will be gone at the end of this.

What exactly is their hang up with reusing what is there, restoring what once was?

Is it a perception that it looks dated? The same problem as Tomorrowland?

MattyBear

During the presentation I think this rendering was the most exciting thing. I like the idea of opening up this area and adding much more landscaping. Looks like they might be adding more water around test track.

Prototype82

Was any part of Future World white? Tomorrowland used to be mostly white. I always thought of Epcot Center as fifty shades of beige. Earth Station was lighter, but I think it was a pale gray. Of course in the bright Florida sun, everything could be gleaming. I'm not picking on your comment, it just caused me to run through all of vintage Epcot in my memory and I couldn't come up with anything that was white. Or did you just mean that it was cleaner?
From what I've seen in photos, the Communicore building was originally painted white to match Earth Station before being painted beige. Since then they've repainted the SSE building white to reflect that. This might have changed quickly because there's a lot of vintage EPCOT photos of the CC building in pale beige as well...

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Along with the Spine redesign I feel like it would be a smart move to rename World Showcase and Future World; especially if the park is to become a MK 2.0 with character and IP integration. Something generic in name but still very much Disney. If the spine is to become the new look of Epcot with the tone of the park going away from edutainment and the world's fair vibe; doesn't it make sense for them to rebrand the park differently too? Should we be expecting not only a park name change but name changes to lands within the park?

I ask because I still don't fully understand what Epcot is trying to become. If the rumored "Center" is being added back to the park name; wouldn't that be counter-intuitive? Or is the Spine and rumored name change a shift to return Epcot back to EPCOT?

Last edited:

Maeryk

Along with the Spine redesign I feel like it would be a smart move to rename World Showcase and Future World; especially if the park is to become a MK 2.0 with character and IP integration. Something generic in name but still very much Disney. If the spine is to become the new look of Epcot with the tone of the park getting away from edutainment and the world's fair vibe; doesn't it make sense for them to rebrand the park differently too? Should we be expecting not only a park name change but name changes to lands within the park?

I ask because I still don't fully understand what Epcot is trying to become. If the rumored "Center" is being added back to the park name; wouldn't that be counter-intuitive? Or is the Spine and rumored name change a shift to return Epcot back to EPCOT?

You don't rename a park that has that kind of gravitas behind it's title. I'm guessing it will remain Epcot. They haven't pushed that as an acronym since the 80s, and it's a name that is known around the world. For the same reason, I expect DHS will continue to have "Disney" and "Studios" in the name.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom