Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

Dapper Dan

They could have Figment in an original short utilizing the 4D theater.

I don't think Figment can carry a franchise film but is perfect for the Disney Channel. IMO.
Off the top of my head, they could easily do one of those educational shows on Disney Jr. Each episode starts with Dreamfinder and Figment collecting a spark that is like a shape, color, sound, or literally anything. The rest of the episode is them exploring all the things they can make using the spark. The show ends when the idea bag is full and they have to store all the things they came up with at the dream port.

Last edited:

phillip9698

DIS did have higher box office expectations for GotG 2. It also made 66% of its US box office in its first 10 days. Not what they were wanting.

Making most of your money in the first 2 weeks is exactly what a movie studio would want as the longer a film is in the theater the less of a share they get of the ticket sales. The first couple weeks of ticket sales are almost 100% sent to the studio. The worst thing that could happen is to make most of the ticket sales on the back end where the theater takes in a higher percentage.

Phil12

The entire Figment and Dreamfinder concept was ill conceived and should take it rightful place along with Davy Crockett and the other bad Disney attractions.

Castle Cake Apologist

Off the top of my head, they could easily do one of those educational shows on Disney Jr. Each episode starts with Dreamfinder and Figment collecting a spark that is like a shape, color, sound, or literally anything. The rest of the episode is them exploring all the things they can make using the spark. The show ends when the idea bag is full and they have to store all the things they came up with at the dream port.

That's actually a fantastic concept.

Castle Cake Apologist

The entire Figment and Dreamfinder concept was ill conceived and should take it rightful place along with Davy Crockett and the other bad Disney attractions.

Yet, somehow, removing Figment from the attraction led to the largest number of complaints that Epcot guest relations had ever received. So much so that the attraction was closed and redone to put him back into it very shortly after it opened, another first for the company. Such an ill-conceived concept indeed.

Your trolling is usually better than this, Phil. You feeling okay?

FigmentJedi

Disney Kingdoms panel at SDCC was a disappointment in that they didn't really have any new announcements.

Just Tony Baxter making smartass remarks about the current ride and the creative team at Disney Kingdoms wanting a Figment movie and seeing Figment and Dreamfinder as a potential connecting thread for the universe they've been building.

brb1006

That reminds me of an older show that remained unaired that starred Dreamfinder at the very beginning of Disney Channel in the early 1980's.

Phil12

Yet, somehow, removing Figment from the attraction led to the largest number of complaints that Epcot guest relations had ever received. So much so that the attraction was closed and redone to put him back into it very shortly after it opened, another first for the company. Such an ill-conceived concept indeed.

Your trolling is usually better than this, Phil. You feeling okay?
I'll be the first to admit that Figment has many fans but having a fan base does not equate to a good attraction. Lots of infamous people have a huge fan base (and I don't mean to be political here). After all Mr. Toad, 20 K and Snow White are all great examples of attractions that seemed good in planning but just didn't come together when they were built. Some due to technical problems and others due to poor build quality. But some are just bad because management fails to keep proper oversight on the project.

The primary problem with Journey into Imagination is that Dreamfinder was not a trustworthy character and he used his friend Figment as bait to lure in unsuspecting fans. Disney originally decided to dispense with both characters but then brought back Figment since it was evident that he was just an unwitting dupe in the original show. The need for constantly emptying the "idea bag" at the "Dreamport" was suggestive of using restroom facilities for various activities. Of course, Figment in the new show gives a very powerful demonstration of his ability to pass gas.

As others have said, the current show is bad but the previous incarnations were much worse. At least the most offensive aspects of the show are now gone and I'm sure Disney will be creative enough to scrap the current show and come up with something completely different such as an educational show about water conservation and eel fish farming in the 21st century.

Last edited:

trainplane3

Disney Kingdoms panel at SDCC was a disappointment in that they didn't really have any new announcements.

Just Tony Baxter making smartass remarks about the current ride and the creative team at Disney Kingdoms wanting a Figment movie and seeing Figment and Dreamfinder as a potential connecting thread for the universe they've been building.
Apparently, Figment made it to a 4th printing. I'm not sure how many issues have been made, but I guess it's impressive? Take the hint Disney.

lazyboy97o

We got the ride we have now because Kodak pulled out halfway through rebuilding the ride. Disney had to scramble to get what was left into a workable concept, so you ended up with, roughly, half a ride. The upstairs was closed because it was hard to access.. the stairs weren't very wide (you can still see them as you exit the gift shop), and the elevator was tiny. Plus it was hard to supervise.

The rest of the track is still, apparently, in the building, waiting in case it ever gets redone again, but I'm not holding my breath.
None of this is true. Kodak’s sponsorship ended only a few years ago. Even then, Disney designs the attractions and not the sponsor. The track was shortened to reduce costs, mainly with the problematic turn table.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
We got the ride we have now because Kodak pulled out halfway through rebuilding the ride. Disney had to scramble to get what was left into a workable concept, so you ended up with, roughly, half a ride. The upstairs was closed because it was hard to access.. the stairs weren't very wide (you can still see them as you exit the gift shop), and the elevator was tiny. Plus it was hard to supervise.

The rest of the track is still, apparently, in the building, waiting in case it ever gets redone again, but I'm not holding my breath.
You're so wrong...

Maeryk

I'll be the first to admit that Figment has many fans but having a fan base does not equate to a good attraction. Lots of infamous people have a huge fan base (and I don't mean to be political here). After all Mr. Toad, 20 K and Snow White are all great examples of attractions that seemed good in planning but just didn't come together when they were built. Some due to technical problems and others due to poor build quality. But some are just bad because management fails to keep proper oversight on the project.

The primary problem with Journey into Imagination is that Dreamfinder was a not a trustworthy character and he used his friend Figment as bait to lure in unsuspecting fans. Disney originally decided to dispense with both characters but then brought back Figment since it was evident that he was just an unwitting dupe in the original show. The need for constantly emptying the "idea bag" at the "Dreamport" was suggestive of using restroom facilities for various activities. Of course, Figment in the new show gives a very powerful demonstration of his ability to pass gas.

As others have said, the current show is bad but the previous incarnations were much worse. At least the most offensive aspects of the show are now gone and I'm sure Disney will be creative enough to scrap the current show and come up with something completely different such as an educational show about water conservation and eel fish farming in the 21st century.

You forgot the /s at the end.

Gatorboy

I'm not going to read this entire thread, but why couldn't Epcot just do a really good imagination-themed ride based on Inside-Out, which was an awesome movie, develop a great 3-D movie for Figment and EITHER of the versions of the Dreamfinder, (I prefer the younger one, but I don't care), revise the upper area of the pavilion to make it similar to what it used to be, (figment and Inside out characters in there) and call it it a day?
Why is this so hard. This is a Home-run-slam-dunk attraction. Let's Go!
Wow, had similar idea, make the theater a next generation theater telling Figment & Dreamfinder's original ride/ story. AA's, all the the smells, senses, motion chairs. In & Out ride, with upstairs being Imagineering, a blue sky display

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom