The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

Recommending not to take your younger kids to Epcot...that's about stupid. Kidcot stations in every country, Turtle Talk, Figment interactive area, SSE interactive area, P&F interactive game, splash pad play area, M&Gs galore....yep, nothing to do. :facepalm:
Do they still have the Phineas and Ferb game around the WS? They did last year when we went, but we didn't have enough time to do it and I think you needed your phone and our phone's weren't working well. But there was SSOOOOO much to do. We went with our kids when DD was 4 and DS was 2 and they still had a blast.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
That's a very good lesson in finances. Teach her at a young age that anything she buys at WDW will deplete all the money she has in her wallet -- and then some! :D

Ha! It is a great lesson about how quickly things add up! But it's also a great lesson about how sometimes the upcharge is work the experience :)

Songbird76

You know your kid and their attention span. My kids loved Epcot even as toddlers. Mine loved loved loved the Kids Kiosks. They enjoyed the pavilions but I took them through as young'ns and didn't bother with what would only interest an adult. They loved trying on the Mexican hats, playing with the maracas in the pavilions, playing with the embedded lights in the sidewalks, talking on the telephones with snow white, taking a boat trip with the fishes etc etc etc. My kids loved Epcots diversity. IF the interest is only in IPs and Princesses for your child that type of advice might be good for your child. Only you know how open she is to the world beyond princesses and IPs. My kids loved the car wash, the Coke exhibit, crawling into a head of the scuba diver and looking out, singing along with the attractions in the Land. Crush is beyond awesome for toddlers and preschoolers. Heck as an adult I got a kick out of it.
We did Crush several times on our last trip, and we might have done it more than once on our first family trip, too, if we had had more time. Love love love Crush. And the kids wanted to go into Club Cool every time we were anywhere close. They LOVED that.
Norway, pre Frostrom. DS liked the viking hats.

100_4304.JPG

Songbird76

Thanks. But I felt that way when it began, rebranding Countdown to Dino It isn't necessary and lacks imagineering. The imagineering...the draw. I'm still waiting for Blizzard Beach as some have said to be rebranded FROZEN. I have a son. All this Princess branding is really driving families to Uni that have at least one boy in the equation.

Think even of the character meals. Most are repelled by elementary school boys on up. Why could there not be a Toy Story meal or a Star Wars meal to at least balance out the Princess IP? I have a DD that was not a Princess type gal. She always thought outside the box of the stereo type and I encouraged her exploration outside the world of princesses. All that was not what interested them nor did I encourage. Likely why I wound up with a DD that was a math and statistic major and not a diva.
Oh BB is Frozen territory. When we were there last summer, they had the Winter Summer games going on at BB and they had Team Christof, and Team Olaf. Periodically, Olaf and Christof would announce the points. DS would have been a cranky killjoy if not for those games. He did not have fun at TL and we left there right after lunch, but we were at BB much longer than I had expected.

Songbird76

I'm not saying that my kid won't enjoy anything but princesses. I'm saying that the information on the web for a first timer suggests that unless your kid really loves princesses, then you're better off taking them to AK or HS as your second park.
That surprises me...AK was pretty much a total BUST for us. The bug movie scared DS so bad he had to be removed from the theater, screaming. And he was 8! I fell asleep during the Lion King show. The only thing we really loved was the Nemo show...pretty much everything else was just meh. And HS...There's not much there. We did a lot of meet and greets, and DS did all the star wars stuff, which DD hates and refused to do. I don't know what the height requirements are for the star wars stuff, so I don't know if little ones can do it, but I would take my little ones to Epcot long before either AK or HS. I guess it's personal preference.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
That surprises me...AK was pretty much a total BUST for us. The bug movie scared DS so bad he had to be removed from the theater, screaming. And he was 8! I fell asleep during the Lion King show. The only thing we really loved was the Nemo show...pretty much everything else was just meh. And HS...There's not much there. We did a lot of meet and greets, and DS did all the star wars stuff, which DD hates and refused to do. I don't know what the height requirements are for the star wars stuff, so I don't know if little ones can do it, but I would take my little ones to Epcot long before either AK or HS. I guess it's personal preference.

That's what we decided to do, too. :) Next time we go we'll make a point to visit all four parks but this trip we're only doing MK and Epcot

Figgy1

Premium Member
Do they still have the Phineas and Ferb game around the WS? They did last year when we went, but we didn't have enough time to do it and I think you needed your phone and our phone's weren't working well. But there was SSOOOOO much to do. We went with our kids when DD was 4 and DS was 2 and they still had a blast.
Yup they're safe for now. Last year the boys used the Disney supplied "mobile" knowing they would go the way of the dodo:( Disney sells little charging units and if you drain it you can exchange it for a full one. I'm not sure about the price, we bring our own

Figgy1

Premium Member
Oh BB is Frozen territory. When we were there last summer, they had the Winter Summer games going on at BB and they had Team Christof, and Team Olaf. Periodically, Olaf and Christof would announce the points. DS would have been a cranky killjoy if not for those games. He did not have fun at TL and we left there right after lunch, but we were at BB much longer than I had expected.
My boys are the opposite. They do the slides at BB and are ready to leave. We did TL 3 times last trip, there's just more for all of us:joyfull: That being said they're part fish and like the wave pool, me the palm trees, Lelo and Stitch with no line and the proximity to DTD after a day in the water:joyfull:

Songbird76

Yup they're safe for now. Last year the boys used the Disney supplied "mobile" knowing they would go the way of the dodo:( Disney sells little charging units and if you drain it you can exchange it for a full one. I'm not sure about the price, we bring our own
Those charging units are $35 bucks (I just read about it on someone's trip report) but you can exchange it as many times as you want for free. So you can charge your devices and get a new one, so $35 isn't really TOO bad, but we had brought our own last Summer. Our problem was connection. Our phones were very finicky about connecting to a network. But DD was content watching the Voices of Liberty with me...DS was being a pill that day and was not really wanting to do anything.

Songbird76

My boys are the opposite. They do the slides at BB and are ready to leave. We did TL 3 times last trip, there's just more for all of us:joyfull: That being said they're part fish and like the wave pool, me the palm trees, Lelo and Stitch with no line and the proximity to DTD after a day in the water:joyfull:
DS wouldn't go on any of the slides. He had been waiting and waiting for MONTHS to do the toboggan races. But the wait time was over an hour, plus it was up SOOOO many stairs and my hip just could not do that many stairs. So there was a smaller race thing down lower with a shorter wait time...like 20 minutes. We got up there, he saw the sign that said something about being a good swimmer and he freaked out and we had to climb back down because he wouldn't go on it. At TL, we tried to do the lazy river and he kept purposely falling through the hole in the floaty, but he couldn't get INTO it himself, so he'd let himself fall through, or he'd flip it over, and then want us to get him back into it, which meant we had to get out of our OWN floaty. But he didn't want one of the kiddie tubes that don't have the open hole...he wanted one of the big ones. And he didn't want to hold on to us so he didn't get left behind, but he couldn't keep up in the currant, so he kept making DH get out of his tube to go back to "rescue" him. After a few minutes, DH said enough and got out with him...gave him the choice of staying with us IN the tube, or getting out completely. And since he wouldn't go on any of the slides or anything, we decided to have lunch...that's when the bird stole DS's fish. No one was having any fun, so we left. Honestly if he wasn't so scared of all the slides, it might have been great. But he was terrified of being on his own, got furious when DH and I went on ONE ride together because he wouldn't go on any of the slides, but demanded that someone stayed with him at all times, which meant I didn't get to do any slides after the first one, and that was at BB. Instead of swimming and playing, I was relegated to taking pics of DS doing the Summer Winter Games while DH took DD to do pretty much every slide in the park. So at least the 3 of them all enjoyed BB. TL, NO ONE got to enjoy. DS seems to think every minute should be solely devoted to his enjoyment and doesn't want to wait while anyone else does something he doesn't want to do. There were some things we were willing to endure so he had fun, but other things we weren't willing to give up and he just had to pout through those, because we weren't catering to his whims. But when you've paid so much for a vacation, it's pointless to stay if you're not having fun. Then you've wasted time AND money. I don't remember what we did after that...probably took a nap. We had fun everywhere else...just not TL, or AK. And I didn't enjoy BB, but the rest did, so it was ok. I'm glad they had fun there.

Goofyernmost

By definition it is an overlay on an existing attraction. Something added on to of the norm. Tomatoes Tomato's
Yes, but, that is not what we have been talking about. We have been talking about internal show changes. It is the internal ones that I disapprove of. Seasonal decorations may have been considered an overlay, because it physically was overlaying the building or a small part of an attraction, but, the heart of the attraction was not touched. That is by my definition. You like it... OK, that's fine. I do not, regardless of who defines the word itself.

MOXOMUMD

I'm not saying that my kid won't enjoy anything but princesses. I'm saying that the information on the web for a first timer suggests that unless your kid really loves princesses, then you're better off taking them to AK or HS as your second park.
At AK make sure you go to The Boneyard and have her stomp on the dinosaur footprints. There are also little kid slides there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom