Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
You rich or something?
Not even a little. :hilarious:

We're making a special trip to celebrate my 50th birthday. 5 days/4 nights. Mike will be cebrating his 49th during the same trip.

When you get to be our age, it's time to start treating yourself. It's only our second time visiting NYC. I'm very excited ... usually we just go to Buffalo a couple of times/year.

Mike S

Not even a little. :hilarious:

We're making a special trip to celebrate my 50th birthday. 5 days/4 nights. Mike will be cebrating his 49th during the same trip.

When you get to be our age, it's time to start treating yourself. It's only our second time visiting NYC. I'm very excited ... usually we just go to Buffalo a couple of times/year.
Having just treated myself I understand completely. Now, back to reality...
ba7o0.jpg

Tick Tock

So guess who decides to come pay us a visit at work this afternoon? That's right, Lobbyist Bear's cousin.
br71817 001.jpg

It looked to be 300 to 400 lbs, but I'm guessing closer to the 300 lb side. Adult, but not fully grown. It only lingered for a few moments before scurrying back off into the woods. The top pic was just luck, as it was sniffing the front bumper of a pickup and happened to turn & look straightforward right as I took the pic with my phone. When it was staring right our direction was the signal it was time to go back inside.

From inside the office looking out side window:
br71817 002.jpg

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
@JenniferS , you outdid yourself today with fun photos of both old and new sites, plus, your interesting travel critique. I like all the places you went! :happy: (Oh, P.S.: I didn't realize the Underground Railroad extended into Canada. That fact caught my attention.)
After a law was passed in 1850 requiring Northern States to return any runaway slaves, Canada became the ultimate destination.

From Google:
The Canadian Terminus
While an estimated 30,000 to 40,000 freedom seekers entered Canada during the last decades of enslavement in the US, the decade 1850–60 alone saw 15,000 to 20,000 fugitives reach the Province of Canada when it became the main terminus of the Underground Railroad. The newcomers migrated to various parts of what is now Ontario, including Niagara Falls, Buxton, Chatham, Owen Sound, Windsor, Sandwich (now part of Windsor), Hamilton, Brantford, London, Oakville and Toronto, as well as other regions of British North America such as New Brunswick, Québecand Nova Scotia. During this mass migration, Black Canadians contributed significantly to building strong communities and to the development of the provinces in which they lived and worked.

You'll notice my city is listed. I grew up just a few blocks away from Drake Memorial Church - the only exclusively "Black" church in town. At the time, I was told that it was founded by runaway slaves, but with no Google to confirm this, I didn't know much about it. Turns out, it has since been designated a historic property under the Ontario Heritage Act.

http://www.lieuxpatrimoniaux.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=10046

IMG_4488.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom