News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

LorangeJuice

For people upset, I don't get the difference between using Ellen and Jeopardy to tell a story (both IPs in their own right) vs using a Marvel property. Especially when I believe we have no idea what this attraction will actually be. How do we know the core lessons about sustainability and eco friendly energy won't still be there?

You're forgetting one large part of the EEA equation: Bill Nye. Bill provides the balance in that he has credibility as a scientist. You can also consider Bill to be "IP" that is quite fun, but his contributions to science education and policy making are invaluable. This is why I'm worried about GoTG.

With that said, Disney has just become plain LAZY when it comes to EPCOT and theming in general. For those who say that we should be grateful that this will get more people into EPCOT again, thus they will invest in the park, what do you think happened the past 20 years or so? Instead of investing money in an updated vision of the future beyond the turn of the century, Disney acquired OTHER ENTITIES' IP while EPCOT stagnated. Let that sink in for a minute. No, I'm not a complainer. I accepted almost all of the changes to EPCOT up until this point, even when ORIGINAL DISNEY IP was jammed into EPCOT. This is were I draw the line. I hope I'm wrong, and it's a good ride that fits with the Future theme.

Universal invested and built while Disney sat on its behind. Now, Disney is trying to catch up with Universal by copying off of it. Maybe EPCOT would be more popular if they invested in Future World back in the 90's/2000's to make it look like 2050. Instead, they put Sega games in Innoventions and fart gags in Imagination. LAZY! EPCOT Center worked because it was cohesive and represented a future 30 years out. EPCOT was about the 21st Century as envisioned in 1982. It's not like it was a secret that it would be needing an overhaul every 20 years or so.

For those saying it's hard to keep up with changes in technology, that was the whole point of EPCOT Center looking 20 years ahead (or more, see Horizons). Where is the vision, now? SEGA GAMES, PEOPLE!!!!

LAZY!

EPCOT used to be where new ride systems were first demonstrated and then cloned in other parks. Now, EPCOT gets clones from other parks. LAZY!

And for those who feel the need to call people out on their threats to boycott, I did it. I live very close to the resort and made multiple trips per year. I did not go ONCE from August 2003 (soft opening of Mission: Space - yes, I gave it a chance!) until October 2007 when a then-16-year-old fan created Celebration 25 because Disney was LAZY. Now, there are D23 fanniversary events up the wazoo that charge up the wazoo. If that's not Disney being LAZY, I don't know what is.

Yes, make changes and make money. Just don't be LAZY about it! Be on the forefront like you used to be! This is why I find it so hard not to be insulted at this point!

Last edited:

Rodan75

He isn't wrong though.

There are aspects of truth to it. But Epcot FW died a long time ago. I've mourned it. And will personally judge anything new based on how it is implemented and integrated into a stated and executed theme.

We didn't get a new stated Theme for FW, I feel like they planned to state something new, but backed off of it because it is a live wire. We did get an updated one for WS though.

Madame Medusa

Bill Nye. Bill provides the balance in that he has credibility as a scientist.
f5yiWCl.gif

Castle Cake Apologist

The saddest part to me is that a pavilion about energy would never be so relevant as it would be today. I'm so sick of reading people giving the state of the current attraction as a reason that Guardians has to come in. Bull. Stop playing into TDO's hand. They let these attractions limp along with no maintenance to the point of being on life support, and then act like they're doing you a favor when they replace it with something from the latest flashy movie that conveniently lessens their maintenance and upkeep load. It's gross, and it's far below the company that set the standard for themed entertainment and world class guest experiences.

Why can't they create a brand new attraction that still meshes with the ideals and mission of Epcot? Surely nobody can sit there with a straight face and tell me that a Guardians roller coaster was the best choice for a new Epcot attraction. Especially when this 2 minute experience that families will not be able to ride together comes at the expense of a long-form family dark ride that challenged guests to think critically.

Last edited:

LorangeJuice

The saddest part to me is that a pavilion about energy would never be so relevant as it would be today. I'm so sick of reading people giving the state of the current attractions as a reason that Guardians has to come in. Bull. Stop playing into TDO's hand. They let these attractions limp along with no maintenance to the point of being on life support, and then act like they're doing you a favor when they replace it with something from the latest flashy movie. It's gross.

Why can't they create a brand new updated attraction that still meshes with the ideals and mission of Epcot?

Because they are LAZY!

Dapper Dan

People do realize to get the original vision of Epcot, Disney would have to tear down three existing parks a bunch of hotels and build a full scale city
People do realize that the original vision of EPCOT and the original Vision of EPCOT Center are different things and the fact that one of them was never realized doesn't invalidate that the other one was.

Castle Cake Apologist

Can I propose the 24 hr rule? You get 24 hrs from the announcement to get all your complaining and how much you hate this talk out, after that let's talk about the actual ride and move forward. Just like Epcot is doing.

If you don't enjoy when discussion happens on a discussion forum, might I suggest finding a different place to spend your time?

JustInTime

I would imagine this will progress like Star Wars Land. So about a year of pushing dirt around (and a lot of other uninteresting but important work) before actual ride construction can begin. It does beg the question of why Ellen needs to close so soon--I would imagine that is more due to pressure to get the ride offline (partially from Ellen herself) and put up a construction wall. I wouldn't be surprised to see walkaround characters at some point, too.

Actual construction for a ride of this scale from Fall 2018 to Spring 2021 is not unreasonable.
Wow. It's so bad that Ellen wants it gone? Yikes.

Castle Cake Apologist

I'm optimistic that they will incorporate the Guardians of the Galaxy characters in such a way that it is still relevant to Future World and educates us about energy. If you think about it, Universe of Energy currently uses Jeopardy to teach us about Energy. Jeopardy is an IP not owned by Disney and Marvel is, so you could argue that this would make it "more Disney". Just like Figment teaches us about imagination, the Guardians will replace Bill Nye and Ellen to teach us about energy.

I find it hard to believe that they're building a launch coaster that will be used to teach about energy. I hope I'm wrong, but modern Epcot has no desire to challenge its guests. Sad day.

Rodan75

I would imagine this will progress like Star Wars Land. So about a year of pushing dirt around (and a lot of other uninteresting but important work) before actual ride construction can begin. It does beg the question of why Ellen needs to close so soon--I would imagine that is more due to pressure to get the ride offline (partially from Ellen herself) and put up a construction wall. I wouldn't be surprised to see walkaround characters at some point, too.

Actual construction for a ride of this scale from Fall 2018 to Spring 2021 is not unreasonable.

I saw this mentioned before...but never saw any detail...why is Ellen pushing for this ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom