Food of Pandora

flyerjab

I thought this deserved its own topic as the food is generally A W E S O M E in my humble opinion.

Could not agree more. I had the chicken with the rice base with the herb sauce and it was delicious. And as everyone has said, served in a real bowl with silverware is soooo much nicer than every other QS out there. The only exception to that would be BoG in NFL, but I feel that restaurant is a bit on its own level. You get your order magically delivered to you in a wooden cart by a CM while sitting in one of 3 highly themed rooms. But as far as the quality of the food goes, it was the best food I have had at a QS.

Something else that is worth mentioning is the lumpia at Pongu Pongu. It…was…wonderful! Cream cheese with pineapple heated up before it is handed to you. And each pastry if stuffed full, to the point where you bite into it the filling sort of squeezes out. And it can be hot so you have to be careful. But it was great! I actually liked it more than the Na'vi cheesecake from Satu'li Canteen, which in itself was also good.

jaklgreen

We had the child's sized portion of the beef and rice bowl and it was delicious. The beef was so tender and nice and rare. And the child's size portion was plenty of food. I also had the veggi bao buns, and as others have said, it was bland. It can be a great dish but needs much more curry powder and a good dash of salt and pepper. I also got that slight bitter note from the eggplant. I think they should take it out and put other veggis in like maybe a turnip. I also really liked the lumpia but 2 in a package is too much for a single person. I want a snack not a meal. We did the order ahead on the app and it was great considering the line was out the door. We waited maybe 10 minutes from the time we walked in for our food.

djkidkaz

I have a feeling this menu will see changes. I've been to Pandora numerous times and every visit to Satuli I can just walk right up with no wait and also have no issue finding a seat. I might normally equate this to good design and efficiency but with the amount of people in Pandora I feel the place should be much busier.

CastleBound

I visited Satu'li Canteen for Breakfast & Dinner and absolutely loved it. I'll start off with out breakfast options:

Steel Cut Oatmeal:

This was my wife's breakfast, but due to the sheer amount of oatmeal served, we were both able to eat from it. You could order this single meal for two people. It was great tasting and very filling.
French Toast:
This was my meal and while it looked like considerably less food, it was still filling for one. Everything was delicious, but I'd say this one needed more Passion Fruit Anglaise or Blueberry Cream Cheese topping. It was partially dry without the topping, so try to savor the sauce.
Pandoran Sunrise Drink:
This drink was very sweet. I enjoyed it, but my wife thought it was a bit too sweet. I guess it was probably the Powerade overwhelming the taste.

Moving on to dinner:

Cheeseburger Steamed Pods / Bao Buns:
This was my dinner and I was a bit underwhelmed by it. I wanted to try it due to the uniqueness of the offering, but when it came down to it, this dinner was no different than a McDonalds burger. I would say try it for the experience, but don't expect anything too tasty. It was a bit dry and flavorless. Enough food for one person.
Chili-Spiced Tofu Bowl:
This meal was probably the best meal we've had on property. This was my wife's meal, but again, it was another meal that could be portioned for two people. The Tofu was perfectly blended with the Red & Sweet Potato Hash (Base) and the Creamy Herb Dressing (Sauce). I can't say enough about how good this meal was, absolutely delicious.

BrianLo

I think the real success of the last few years is that when people talk about food at WDW these days it seems to more often than not be about AK or Disney Springs.

Big change from the early 2010's when it was exclusively Epcot. Perhaps that's another reason why that park is being looked into aggressively, it no longer has that crutch.

I have zero way of making the bold statement that Satu'li might be one of the best quick serves on property and Tiffins one of the best table service... (simply don't have near the WDW experience as most of you), but they are easily two of my very top choices from all the various eateries I've been to amongst the 6 resorts.

RSoxNo1

I think the real success of the last few years is that when people talk about food at WDW these days it seems to more often than not be about AK or Disney Springs.

Big change from the early 2010's when it was exclusively Epcot. Perhaps that's another reason why that park is being looked into aggressively, it no longer has that crutch.

I have zero way of making the bold statement that Satu'li might be one of the best quick serves on property and Tiffins one of the best table service... (simply don't have near the WDW experience as most of you), but they are easily two of my very top choices from all the various eateries I've been to amongst the 6 resorts.
I actually enjoy eating at DAK more than Epcot now.

beertiki

Just curious if anyone has ordered the cheeseburger pods twice. First time, just to check them out. There won't be a 2nd time, if I want something that tastes like a cheeseburger, maybe I will just order a cheeseburger.

MKCP 1985

The spring rolls at the walk up window are a tasty treat. 2 of them for roughly $4, for those not on the dining plan, I guess. Careful though - mishandle and all the goodness will squirt out the bottom!

As for the cheeseburger pods, I was glad to have that option for counter service. I'd eat them again on the go but there are better options just as there are better options than burgers in their usual form.

The blue dessert - 2 of 3 in our party really liked it. One who dislikes raspberry didn't care for it. I'll order it again for sure.

The food is a great part of the area. Well done, Disney. Bravo!

flyerjab

It's funny that you said that as I haven't thought much about 'where' we make our reservations. I tend to naturally look at WDW as one giant resort.

However, I would say that the areas we eat at the least are MK, Epcot and DHS. We eat at the deluxe resorts a lot, but nowadays it is DS and DAK for eating. Tiffins is my favorite TS without question. I also really enjoy Y&Y and Tusker House. I will now add to that Satu'li Canteen in Pandora. Honorable mentions go to Harambe Marketplace, Flame Tree Barbecue, Restaurantosaurus (theming alone is great, the food is okay) and the multitude of food kiosks that sell some rather unique offerings. If I want to go full on Animal Kingdom, I will also throw in Jiko, Boma (one of the best buffets) and Sanaa. That lineup is tough to beat.

Once, there was a time when we didn't even consider DD for food as it was too out of the way to consider it worth the trip. Now, with expanded offerings of shopping, entertainment and food, DS is a must-do for us. The Boathouse, Morimoto's Asia, Art Smith's, Paddlefish, Raglan Road, D-Lux Burger, Blaze, Frontera Cucina, and the list goes on. Even STK is okay (not as great as I had hoped). Also, places like The Edison and Wine Bar George are still being built, and several other new additions have also been announced. DS has pretty much become an incredible place to eat anymore, and just continues to get better.

It does make me curious if the various Epcot restaurants in FW and WS are being looked at from an improvement standpoint. If there can be such drastic improvements in places like DAK and DS, there is no reason why Epcot can't experience similar transformational success from a culinary standpoint as a part of this larger overhaul that is on the horizon.

jaklgreen

It's funny that you said that as I haven't thought much about 'where' we make our reservations. I tend to naturally look at WDW as one giant resort.

However, I would say that the areas we eat at the least are MK, Epcot and DHS. We eat at the deluxe resorts a lot, but nowadays it is DS and DAK for eating. Tiffins is my favorite TS without question. I also really enjoy Y&Y and Tusker House. I will now add to that Satu'li Canteen in Pandora. Honorable mentions go to Harambe Marketplace, Flame Tree Barbecue, Restaurantosaurus (theming alone is great, the food is okay) and the multitude of food kiosks that sell some rather unique offerings. If I want to go full on Animal Kingdom, I will also throw in Jiko, Boma (one of the best buffets) and Sanaa. That lineup is tough to beat.

Once, there was a time when we didn't even consider DD for food as it was too out of the way to consider it worth the trip. Now, with expanded offerings of shopping, entertainment and food, DS is a must-do for us. The Boathouse, Morimoto's Asia, Art Smith's, Paddlefish, Raglan Road, D-Lux Burger, Blaze, Frontera Cucina, and the list goes on. Even STK is okay (not as great as I had hoped). Also, places like The Edison and Wine Bar George are still being built, and several other new additions have also been announced. DS has pretty much become an incredible place to eat anymore, and just continues to get better.

It does make me curious if the various Epcot restaurants in FW and WS are being looked at from an improvement standpoint. If there can be such drastic improvements in places like DAK and DS, there is no reason why Epcot can't experience similar transformational success from a culinary standpoint as a part of this larger overhaul that is on the horizon.

I think that the problem is not the food but the people. Americans are way way too picky and are very limited in their palate. They complain if the food is not "Americanized", and then complain if it is too "adventurous". Really, whatever Disney does, there will always be a big group of people who are going to complain about it. I have heard guests saying that the food in Germany was too "exotic". What? Anyone who is descended from Eastern Europe, this is your food! Put the hamburger down people! The more types of food you eat often, the more you end up liking. So many will not even try something that sounds different to them. I love all of the new foods they have now. But I still love some of the Epcot restaurants like Morocco and Japan and the UK.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I think that the problem is not the food but the people. Americans are way way too picky and are very limited in their palate. They complain if the food is not "Americanized", and then complain if it is too "adventurous". Really, whatever Disney does, there will always be a big group of people who are going to complain about it. I have heard guests saying that the food in Germany was too "exotic". What? Anyone who is descended from Eastern Europe, this is your food! Put the hamburger down people! The more types of food you eat often, the more you end up liking. So many will not even try something that sounds different to them. I love all of the new foods they have now. But I still love some of the Epcot restaurants like Morocco and Japan and the UK.

I have to agree with you on the guests being a big part of the issue here. I have seen countless scenarios where guests choose where they eat because of the location or environment vs the menu (Be Our Guest) and then complain there is nothing they like to eat. After enough people complain about it, we eventually end up with the homogenized menus with every place having the same boring, poor quality things on the menu. When they added the Dining Plan on top of that, people were choosing places they would never have tried before and again, complaining about the menu. When combined with too many guests thinking it's appropriate to want to 'customize' every single item they order, the kitchen get forced to streamline the menu to keep up and the rest of us lose.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom