News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

MCast

@marni1971 - I know this has been asked in the past, but considering plans at TWDC change like the weather, is the new potential country anticipated to have a corresponding ride upon opening?

HMF

A spine overhaul, Rat, Energy replacement, new country, U.K. attraction and general refreshes seems like a plan to me. It may not be what we like, or what the park deserves, but it seems they're approaching the overhaul with a pair of eyes. Ones that are incredibly damaged and have a lack of respect for theme, but it is a plan nonetheless, it seems.
It's a plan but it doesn't seem to have a lot of vision behind it.

Daveeeeed

I disagree. Test Track felt dated as soon as it opened, with the mid 90's era car videos and even older videos in the queue.The warehouse feel was akin to driving around a Home Depot parking lot at night. It had zero futuristic feel or technology.

TT 2.0 brings something more like how they do virtual simulations of cars. Is it perfect? no, but it feels much more like an Epcot attraction, with interaction being a key which is good for younger people.
I agree it fits better now (even with less Edutainment). It never was or will be as grand or good as Radiator Springs Racers and I wish people would accept that. In the meantime, EPCOT can get its Radiator Springs Racers by either Guardians of The Galaxy or preferably an Energy (or other) based IP-less ride, but Bob Iger pretty much confirmed that anything new at a Disney park will be an IP. Better than forgetting it exists I suppose, but I wish it would have fit as thematically well as Ratatouille in France.

At least Mission Breakout proves that Gotg can work great as a ride, just very out of place.

Kman101

It's a plan but it doesn't seem to have a lot of vision behind it.

Yeah. I like that they're doing things but I think many want a cohesive theme for Future World or whatever name it gets. Doesn't sound like that's the case. I think that's what people are referring to when they say it doesn't seem like they have a "plan"

I personally wish they'd get a move on with the spine work. Why not get that out of the way first?

HMF

Yeah. I like that they're doing things but I think many want a cohesive theme for Future World or whatever name it gets. Doesn't sound like that's the case. I think that's what people are referring to when they say it doesn't seem like they have a "plan"

I personally wish they'd get a move on with the spine work. Why not get that out of the way first?
I just hope whatever their plan is it is flexible enough to reverse when the time is right.

Kman101

I just hope whatever their plan is it is flexible enough to reverse when the time is right.

Well considering they're looking for quick fixes I'm sure some of it can be changed.

I doubt Rat would change.

I still don't think we "need" a coaster with the Guardians attached to it. If we got a coaster it should be Tron it would at least fit better, not that it sounds like it's all that great but still ... it seems they have it mixed up, Guardians should go to Tomorrowland and Tron (if still "slim chance of coming to Tomorrowland") to Epcot.

I'd maybe feel a bit better if they presented a full plan for Future World, with a name change and talking about a direction they intend to go in. They've done a poor job with the DHS makeover I'd hope Epcot gets a better announcement.

Other parks around the world get year by year plans that are made known, we are left guessing and get random announcements.

MaximumEd

Why not? They are undoing 15 years of poor decisions at the Studios right now.

I'm not saying they can't undo mistakes. HMF seemed to be suggesting that they build whatever they are doing with ease of replacement designed into the front end on purpose. Like build it with the intent to replace. That's what I meant ain't gonna happen.

HMF

I'm not saying they can't undo mistakes. HMF seemed to be suggesting that they build whatever they are doing with ease of replacement designed into the front end on purpose. Like build it with the intent to replace. That's what I meant ain't gonna happen.
Uh, Chapek actually bragged about how easy it would be to re-skin Mission Cashgrab if necessary.

HMF

Completely agreed. As many others have stated, everything rumored except for Guardians, is a compromise I can live with. Epcot and its' fans deserve more, but with this management, I'll take it. It could be a lot worse.
I agree most of them can be easily fixed. Guardians would be more difficult but possible. I actually like the plans for Mexico and "The Seas". This could be FAR worse. Also regarding Guardians I would be shocked if there is no tribute to the original UOE in there somewhere. Disney does know how marketable retro-EPCOT Center is, Even if they don't seem to know "Why". Remember how shocked Iger was about the sales of the Figment comics Even if Inside Out does make it into Imagination. It would be a better fit for Epcot than Frozen or Guardians.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 - I know this has been asked in the past, but considering plans at TWDC change like the weather, is the new potential country anticipated to have a corresponding ride upon opening?
There's a plan for one, and a plan for it not to have one at opening.

Why not? They are undoing 15 years of poor decisions at the Studios right now.
And making another massive one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom