Flight of Passage

mrs moon

Original Poster
I am slightly uneasy on Soarin looking at that big screen and the fast feeling of movement over the high buildings.I am a 59 year old wimp in reality and wonder should i go on FOP ,advice please??

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I suffer from motion sickness. While I can experience most of Soarin' without issue, there are a few scenes where I must close my eyes briefly to avoid wooziness.

Movement in Flight of Passage is MUCH faster and in addition to the steep free-falling there are a few "corkscrew spin" moments (think roller coaster). I had to close my eyes a lot. Also, the restraints are very tight, so if you suffer claustrophobia and motion sickness and fear of heights you should pass. The film itself is not scary.

It is an experience like no other so if you can manage with just closing your eyes when you need to, it's worth a try.

disneygeek90

Don't they specifically tell people not to close their eyes in simulators? As in, you disorient yourself even more if it's a motion sick thing. I could see it somewhat helping with fear of heights, I suppose. I'm planning on making my parents ride both. My mom doesn't love heights but I think she will be fine. It's also much smoother and less nauseating than Star Tours, imo.

I think everyone should at least experience this ride at least once. Though if you feel iffy on parts of Soarin... I'm not sure this would exactly be your cup of tea.

hooch

I suffer from motion sickness. While I can experience most of Soarin' without issue, there are a few scenes where I must close my eyes briefly to avoid wooziness.

Movement in Flight of Passage is MUCH faster and in addition to the steep free-falling there are a few "corkscrew spin" moments (think roller coaster). I had to close my eyes a lot. Also, the restraints are very tight, so if you suffer claustrophobia and motion sickness and fear of heights you should pass. The film itself is not scary.

It is an experience like no other so if you can manage with just closing your eyes when you need to, it's worth a try.

Hi. I really, really want to try this next month. I have a FP. I do not like thrill rides. Can tolerate the kiddie coasters. Test Track made me feel ill only because of the slamming on of brakes at the end. Splash Mtn I can do but hate the anticipation of the drop...
I love Soarin' but do close my eyes during parts b/c I feel I'm falling off the edge of my seat. I would never ride Star Tours. Would never ride EE or RNR. (Still love WDW and go every chance I get!:D)
Does the FoP ride vehicle move, or is it bolted to the ground? Is the corkscrew spin all in the visual part? I'd like to be able to simply close my eyes. Thanks!

disneygeek90

Hi. I really, really want to try this next month. I have a FP. I do not like thrill rides. Can tolerate the kiddie coasters. Test Track made me feel ill only because of the slamming on of brakes at the end. Splash Mtn I can do but hate the anticipation of the drop...
I love Soarin' but do close my eyes during parts b/c I feel I'm falling off the edge of my seat. I would never ride Star Tours. Would never ride EE or RNR. (Still love WDW and go every chance I get!:D)
Does the FoP ride vehicle move, or is it bolted to the ground? Is the corkscrew spin all in the visual part? I'd like to be able to simply close my eyes. Thanks!
The ride moves similar to soarin', but a bit more intense. You never go upside down in the corkscrew, but there is some sort of movement to go along with the visuals. If you wouldn't ride Star Tours, I don't know if FoP would be any better. It's smoother, but the simulation is more immersive.

hooch

The ride moves similar to soarin', but a bit more intense. You never go upside down in the corkscrew, but there is some sort of movement to go along with the visuals. If you wouldn't ride Star Tours, I don't know if FoP would be any better. It's smoother, but the simulation is more immersive.
Ok. Thanks a lot for the info.

becca_

I mean I'm pretty young and I got motion sickness (for the first time ever) on Soarin' and Star Tours but not Flight of Passage, but if you're prone maybe take some motion sickness medication before you go on to reduce the chances of it making you sick.

hooch

I mean I'm pretty young and I got motion sickness (for the first time ever) on Soarin' and Star Tours but not Flight of Passage, but if you're prone maybe take some motion sickness medication before you go on to reduce the chances of it making you sick.

Thank you!

correcaminos

Also, the restraints are very tight, so if you suffer claustrophobia and motion sickness and fear of heights you should pass.
The restraints do not have to be very tight. In fact I didn't feel mine at all. I have some issues and was instructed to sit upright, if not back a little, while they locked them into place. I had more freedom to move which I need.

The biggest difference with Soarin' and Star Tours is the air being blown around. A lot of friends reported it helped. I cannot say personally if it makes a difference. Worst case IMO if it makes you feel off at all just close your eyes or look behind you (apparently this *really helps* in this case) and at least you tried it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom