How should I tell him we are going to the Grand Floridian?

Hulacat

DH had worked for WDW years ago and had always dreamed of staying at the Grand Floridian. I surprised him two years ago by booking a split stay- one night at Pop, then told him when we checked out and had breakfast in the food court that we aren't going home, we are headed to stay at the GF. The look of happiness and surprise was so wonderful.

He has been going through a lot of work pressure and his birthday is coming in July. I told him this time that we are staying at a moderate that neither one of us is crazy about & have tried to point out nice things about that resort.I only have a reservation for GF, not the moderate

Question is, should I tell him sooner than the last time to give him something to look forward to, or how should I surprise him this time? He still says that he "wishes we could go back there".

21stamps

DH had worked for WDW years ago and had always dreamed of staying at the Grand Floridian. I surprised him two years ago by booking a split stay- one night at Pop, then told him when we checked out and had breakfast in the food court that we aren't going home, we are headed to stay at the GF. The look of happiness and surprise was so wonderful.

He has been going through a lot of work pressure and his birthday is coming in July. I told him this time that we are staying at a moderate that neither one of us is crazy about & have tried to point out nice things about that resort.I only have a reservation for GF, not the moderate

Question is, should I tell him sooner than the last time to give him something to look forward to, or how should I surprise him this time? He still says that he "wishes we could go back there".

You could leave the "The (last name) Disney Vacation" booklet somewhere with a hand written note, or just by itself.

Maybe in his car to be found on the way to work.. or in his sock drawer...lol. Something surprising but easily found.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

You dont say when your trip is but I'd still plan on surprising him. How about getting a few GF resort specific items and wrapping them up for him to open on his birthday. If it was me, I'd want to be surprised but know prior to the trip so I'd have something special to focus on ahead of time. Maybe he will turn around and surprise you with some Disney special thing in return.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

I'm torn. I love the idea of waiting until the last second, but on the other hand, as someone who loves the anticipation of arriving at a given place, if I were the "surprise-ee" and not the "surprise-er," I'd want some extra time to savor the good news. So I'd recommend breaking the news just before you leave -- e.g., "Surprise! I hate to give you this after you've already packed, but I bought you this natty straw hat to bring with you. After all, we want to look as posh as possible when we saunter into the Grand Floridian..."

Upvote 0
This is such a fun situation to be in. I tried doing this to my Mother a few years back. I told her that we were booked at the All Star resorts, but I actually had a reservation at the Polynesian. She was really excited, but also a little mad at me that I spent so much more money. The rest of the trip, she wouldn't let me spend any of my own money, on anything. She bought all meals and merchandise. Good luck.

Upvote 0

correcaminos

I'm torn. I love the idea of waiting until the last second, but on the other hand, as someone who loves the anticipation of arriving at a given place, if I were the "surprise-ee" and not the "surprise-er," I'd want some extra time to savor the good news. So I'd recommend breaking the news just before you leave -- e.g., "Surprise! I hate to give you this after you've already packed, but I bought you this natty straw hat to bring with you. After all, we want to look as posh as possible when we saunter into the Grand Floridian..."
I'm the opposite. I honestly don't think it is a 'surprise' if you tell someone before hand. Otherwise it's really just an update to the trip.

Also I don't wear anything different than I do at GF than I do anywhere else. Granted I don't wear grubby clothes ever, but I wouldn't make that a consideration.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Also I don't wear anything different than I do at GF than I do anywhere else. Granted I don't wear grubby clothes ever, but I wouldn't make that a consideration.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that one actually needed to pack differently -- just trying to suggest an excuse to work mentioning GF into a hypothetical conversation. ;)

Upvote 0

WDW Dad 23

Depending upon when and how you arrive, one thing you can do is set up a lunch reservation. You then tell him you are going to have lunch at GF before you "check in" at your moderate. Then he won't be surprised you are going there, while also wanting to stay even more. Then you surprise him by checking in there after lunch. No matter what you do he will be happy. Good Luck!

Upvote 0

correcaminos

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that one actually needed to pack differently -- just trying to suggest an excuse to work mentioning GF into a hypothetical conversation. ;)
Ah I see.

Depending upon when and how you arrive, one thing you can do is set up a lunch reservation. You then tell him you are going to have lunch at GF before you "check in" at your moderate. Then he won't be surprised you are going there, while also wanting to stay even more. Then you surprise him by checking in there after lunch. No matter what you do he will be happy. Good Luck!
I actually like this a lot. Do lunch at the Grand Floridian Café and then walk to check in. That would be so much fun :D

Upvote 0

Hulacat

Original Poster
That would make it more difficult ;) If they were driving, I would suggest she drive and just pull up at GF. That would be pretty awesome.
We live about 45 minutes away, so I was thinking of possibly telling him that I want to drive so he can see the sites at the moderate & then acting like I took a wrong turn and wound up in the GF...OR I wonder if WDW would help me surprise him and have the concierge at the moderate tell him "No sir, sorry but you are staying at the Grand Floridian"??

Upvote 0

correcaminos

We live about 45 minutes away, so I was thinking of possibly telling him that I want to drive so he can see the sites at the moderate & then acting like I took a wrong turn and wound up in the GF...OR I wonder if WDW would help me surprise him and have the concierge at the moderate tell him "No sir, sorry but you are staying at the Grand Floridian"??
You can cqll and ask, but I think just "taking a wrong turn" is a good idea. All the construction might make it somewhat believable too at first at least

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom