things to do first day of trip without doing the parks..

LMSB

My husband & I are heading down Oct 26 - Nov 2 for a late honeymoon.. flight is booked, resort reservations made (staying at All Star Movies:)), ADRs complete, all that's left to do is purchase our theme park tickets! Originally, we were going to do the 7 day park hopper but now are considering making it a 6 day and spending our first day outside the parks. Would love to hear some ideas/fun things to do outside the parks (besides resort hopping & Disney Springs) Ty in advance!

Notes from Neverland

You specifically mentioned no Disney Springs, but it is a great destination for dinner. Mini golf news Swan/Dolphin is a lot of fun. The Boardwalk area isn't huge, but also has a couple nice food/drink spots.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Have you seen the Undercover Tourist flash sale? 7 nights for 4. Thought that might influence your decision.

Otherwise, I second dinner at AKL - Sanaa perhaps (@Kidani), followed by drinks on the outlook and night vision animal viewing.

Or how about dinner on the Boardwalk or The Yachtsman and then Jellyrolls.

Upvote 0

LMSB

Original Poster
Thank you all for your feedback.. will probably do a quick trip to DS (I love World of Disney!), but we're not big shoppers & love to be active so renting bikes or watercraft sounds right up our alley. Mini golf sounds fun too. We have ADR at California Grill on 10/29 that I may switch to that night. Also going to try for ADR at Sanaa or Ohana

Upvote 0

LMSB

Original Poster
Have you seen the Undercover Tourist flash sale? 7 nights for 4. Thought that might influence your decision.

Otherwise, I second dinner at AKL - Sanaa perhaps (@Kidani), followed by drinks on the outlook and night vision animal viewing.

Or how about dinner on the Boardwalk or The Yachtsman and then Jellyrolls.
Have you used Undercover Tourist to book tickets in the past? I was just on their website and am considering using them! Just have to figure out it's cheaper than booking with our AAA discount

Upvote 0

newhorizons1

I've used Undercover Tourist for tickets and have never had any issue with them.

I know that you mentioned that you didn't want to resort hop, but we love to go and watch Yehaa Bob at Port Orleans Riverside. He puts on a great show!

Upvote 0

LMSB

Original Poster
I've used Undercover Tourist for tickets and have never had any issue with them.

I know that you mentioned that you didn't want to resort hop, but we love to go and watch Yehaa Bob at Port Orleans Riverside. He puts on a great show!
Awesome, ty! Not that we don't want to resort hop, I just excluded that in my original post because I had a feeling a lot of folks would suggest :D Will definitely try and get over to PO.. stayed there with my family in May 2000 when it was still Dixie Landings. I think my mom still has our refillable mugs from that resort!

Upvote 0

LeighM

I don't think anyone hates shopping as much as I do but I still really enjoy Disney Springs lol. The Marketplace section is my favorite (World of Disney!) but I enjoy walking around the other areas. And they have some really good places to eat - quick and table service. My favorite new addition is the Coca Cola store. My husband is addicted to a South African cola called Bibo that is only found there and Animal Kingdom Harambe Market LOL. I was a little disappointed with the Avengers store though. I was hoping it would be "more" or something.

Upvote 0

LMSB

Original Poster
I don't think anyone hates shopping as much as I do but I still really enjoy Disney Springs lol. The Marketplace section is my favorite (World of Disney!) but I enjoy walking around the other areas. And they have some really good places to eat - quick and table service. My favorite new addition is the Coca Cola store. My husband is addicted to a South African cola called Bibo that is only found there and Animal Kingdom Harambe Market LOL. I was a little disappointed with the Avengers store though. I was hoping it would be "more" or something.
Ty for your feedback! Which quick service restaurants would you recommend? I've decided against making any ADR for our first day.. we'll up at 3AM that morning, heading for the airport at 4AM for the first flight out to Orlando (due to arrive at MCO at 8:30AM) so we will be exhausted- planning on doing a quick service dinner and bed EARLY for Early Magic Hours at Magic Kingdom the next morning:D

Upvote 0

newhorizons1

If you are looking for QS at Disney Springs you can't go wrong with Earl of Sandwich. My husband would eat there for every single meal when we visit WDW if I would let him.

Upvote 0

SAV

Go to DS for a while. Then take a bus over to the TTC, then Monorail over to the Polynesian to watch the Fireworks show from their beach while having a Dole Whip Float. You can also take the Monorail for a trip through EPCOT and if you time it right, you'll be able to see Illuminations, then go to the Poly.

That isn't technically resort hopping, but watching some fireworks.

Upvote 0

LMSB

Original Poster
Go to DS for a while. Then take a bus over to the TTC, then Monorail over to the Polynesian to watch the Fireworks show from their beach while having a Dole Whip Float. You can also take the Monorail for a trip through EPCOT and if you time it right, you'll be able to see Illuminations, then go to the Poly.

That isn't technically resort hopping, but watching some fireworks.
Fireworks on the beach sounds really nice! Poly is a really pretty resort.. I love the theming. Ty for this excellent idea :)

Upvote 0

LeighM

Ty for your feedback! Which quick service restaurants would you recommend? I've decided against making any ADR for our first day.. we'll up at 3AM that morning, heading for the airport at 4AM for the first flight out to Orlando (due to arrive at MCO at 8:30AM) so we will be exhausted- planning on doing a quick service dinner and bed EARLY for Early Magic Hours at Magic Kingdom the next morning:D

For something simple, my husband and I really love Blaze Pizza where you can customize your own. We've also enjoyed Homecomin, which has a grab and go section with a few sandwiches. Cooke's of Dublin can be a hit or miss but we've been lucky. I've heard good things about the Earl of Sandwich and the House of Blues quick service section (forgot the name). I haven't tried the food trucks they have at the West Side or the smaller kiosks set up - D-Luxe Burger, the Daily Poutine, or the Sausage Company...but it smelled wonderful when we walked past LOL. Have you looked at the menus they have on the WDW app? There are so many options! Morimoto Asia Street Food was just okay for a snack but I couldn't make a complete meal out of it.

Upvote 0

JohnD

My husband & I are heading down Oct 26 - Nov 2 for a late honeymoon.. flight is booked, resort reservations made (staying at All Star Movies:)), ADRs complete, all that's left to do is purchase our theme park tickets! Originally, we were going to do the 7 day park hopper but now are considering making it a 6 day and spending our first day outside the parks. Would love to hear some ideas/fun things to do outside the parks (besides resort hopping & Disney Springs) Ty in advance!

ADR at a really nice restaurant: CG, Artist Point, Yachtsmans, etc. Dessert at Beaches and Cream.

Upvote 0

LMSB

Original Poster
For something simple, my husband and I really love Blaze Pizza where you can customize your own. We've also enjoyed Homecomin, which has a grab and go section with a few sandwiches. Cooke's of Dublin can be a hit or miss but we've been lucky. I've heard good things about the Earl of Sandwich and the House of Blues quick service section (forgot the name). I haven't tried the food trucks they have at the West Side or the smaller kiosks set up - D-Luxe Burger, the Daily Poutine, or the Sausage Company...but it smelled wonderful when we walked past LOL. Have you looked at the menus they have on the WDW app? There are so many options! Morimoto Asia Street Food was just okay for a snack but I couldn't make a complete meal out of it.
Now I'm hungry.. :D Ty for your wonderful feedback!

Upvote 0
On 2 previous visits I would schedule a massage at Saratoga Springs on my first day at Disney World. It was always nice to relax and unwind right after getting off the plane. Plus the Saratoga spa is really close to Disney Springs for shopping afterwards.

Upvote 0

slipperalwaysfits

We never plan a park the day we get in. Too many unknowns with flights, transport, etc. Even though we love DME! We venture to Disney Springs, but we don't shop, we just catch the boat to Port Orleans. It's a wonderful boat ride, very pretty and relaxing. Like they said, once you're at PO, you can check out the pianist at French Quarter or rent bikes (I think that's at PO) and I know you can go on a carriage ride, or you can sip a refreshing beverage and watch the boats go by and the giant paddlewheel. Plus, PO has great themed stores where I tend to find some good presents for my family--who loves New Orleans! :p:D:cool:

Upvote 0

LMSB

Original Poster
We never plan a park the day we get in. Too many unknowns with flights, transport, etc. Even though we love DME! We venture to Disney Springs, but we don't shop, we just catch the boat to Port Orleans. It's a wonderful boat ride, very pretty and relaxing. Like they said, once you're at PO, you can check out the pianist at French Quarter or rent bikes (I think that's at PO) and I know you can go on a carriage ride, or you can sip a refreshing beverage and watch the boats go by and the giant paddlewheel. Plus, PO has great themed stores where I tend to find some good presents for my family--who loves New Orleans! :p:D:cool:
Awesome, ty for your post! I'll have to definitely look into renting bikes.. we bike almost every weekend. Plus it would be cool to see some of Disney property by bike :D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom