Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMF

If the best you can hope for is a queue presence, then there's no point in having concern for the themes of Future World. It's like getting giddy at the EPCOT Center symbol being engraved into the turnstile gates while some drunk from F&W is ranting six feet away.
It's a better fit than Guardians and the least thematically damaging. It's not at all what I really want but I can live with it. Guardians would be a disaster and permanently ruin Epcot for me.

HMF

The attraction, if transplanted directly from Shanghai, is not thematically consistent with Epcot whatsoever. It fits Tomorrowland very well. They will need to adapt the attraction in a new way to Future World.
Agreed.

Kman101

The attraction, if transplanted directly from Shanghai, is not thematically consistent with Epcot whatsoever. It fits Tomorrowland very well. They will need to adapt the attraction in a new way to Future World.

Well, we don't know the extent of the spine project yet ...

Movielover

Thank you. But I really just make it all up :D

Still man, top notch job!

o4L1EBH7GYUBa.webp

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think the use of the word "sequel" was the direct follow up to the original film in a franchise. Civil War and IM3 are the third films in those respective franchises, unlike Age of Ultron and Guardians Vol 2. In that sense, GotG2 is indeed the second best sequel for the MCU at the box office.

If that's the case then he was cherry picking statistics to make a point.

GotG 2 is the highest grossing volume 2 move in Disney history. ;)

jt04

2nd most. Sourced info. Should pass 800 million globally in the next couple days. Some were claiming it a box office disappointment.

As I said here when the new attraction was announced for dca that it was the best overlay I had ever seen. Guests seem to agree with that.

All this added together makes GOTG a likely candidate for an attraction at WDW. If its gets through legal.

Just hope it doesn't takeover the tower. Energy would be an upgrade however. IMO.

doctornick

I don't really think it's that much cherry picking. I think a direct sequel to an initial film in a series is a different animal than the third film in a trilogy.

More on point, I think it's very telling that GotG 2 has made more money that the second films of Iron Man, Captain America and Thor -- the latter two even came after The Avengers and got a bump from that and are more established/well known characters than the folks in Guardians. It's pretty impressive the financial success that GotG have had.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
2nd most. Sourced info. Should pass 800 million globally in the next couple days. Some were claiming it a box office disappointment.

I provided the actual numbers, so your source is wrong, unless you are going by @doctornick definition of sequel. I am actually not trying to argue the success of the movie or whether it deserves to be in WDW, just arguing that you are providing incorrect facts.

jt04

I provided the actual numbers, so your source is wrong, unless you are going by @doctornick definition of sequel. I am actually not trying to argue the success of the movie or whether it deserves to be in WDW, just arguing that you are providing incorrect facts.

My source is box office mojo. The wdwmagic of box office numbers. See the "showdowns" section.

Ripken10

I am being a little nit picky here but you said "Marvel sequel ", in which case it's currently in 4th place. You meant to say "Marvel FIRST sequel", where it is in 2nd place.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=marvelsequels.htm
It's all in semantics, and you really should move on, because you both could be right. It is just how you interpret it...

A sequel to the first sequel might be referred to as a third installment or threequel or second sequel

Daveeeeed

I think the use of the word "sequel" was the direct follow up to the original film in a franchise. Civil War and IM3 are the third films in those respective franchises, unlike Age of Ultron and Guardians Vol 2. In that sense, GotG2 is indeed the second best sequel for the MCU at the box office.

Also, I think people who are claiming that GotG2 might be a "disappointment" are basically using a straw man. I don't really know what Disney "expected" or not in terms of box office results, but I think there is little chance that they are actually upset with the performance of the film at all. It's making at least $850M worldwide, probably will get to over $900M and that's a huge success for a film with a ~$200M budget and for this franchise in general. They've successfully monetized a group of virtual unknowns now for 2 films despite only have a mild connection to the rest of the MCU. They've already greenlit a third movie and plan to include the Guardian characters in Infinity War; the actions of the folks at Disney certainly don't reflect them being "disappointed" in the film.
Ironic too. Disapointing was Batman vs. Superman's take, but only because the characters were so iconic. And it would have crossed a billion had it actually been a great film start to finish.

Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 2 was instead a great film that I think actually topped the original. That's what will get you tons of cash and Gotg is a massive hit.

SteveAZee

I would be open to that as long s the new name fits the general theme. Discovery Something would be preferable.
It would be great if they could focus on innovations and inventions, since that's really what a lot of the pavilion's themes seem to be about; the act of applied creativity rather than some visions of the future. I just hope they don't re-purpose "Innoventions".. for some reason that name never sat well with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom