Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmatt87

I don't know what will replace it but after redoing the ride a few days ago - it's really dated and it's taking a lot of space for a tiny payoff. Unless you want to escape the heat during the summer months, it's not worth your 45 minutes.

doctornick

At present, fourth highest grossing Marvel sequel work wide:

Avengers: Age of Ultron: $1,404,705,868
Iron Man 3 : $1,215,392,272
Captain America: Civil War : $1,151,684,349
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2: $788,504,021

I think the use of the word "sequel" was the direct follow up to the original film in a franchise. Civil War and IM3 are the third films in those respective franchises, unlike Age of Ultron and Guardians Vol 2. In that sense, GotG2 is indeed the second best sequel for the MCU at the box office.

Also, I think people who are claiming that GotG2 might be a "disappointment" are basically using a straw man. I don't really know what Disney "expected" or not in terms of box office results, but I think there is little chance that they are actually upset with the performance of the film at all. It's making at least $850M worldwide, probably will get to over $900M and that's a huge success for a film with a ~$200M budget and for this franchise in general. They've successfully monetized a group of virtual unknowns now for 2 films despite only have a mild connection to the rest of the MCU. They've already greenlit a third movie and plan to include the Guardian characters in Infinity War; the actions of the folks at Disney certainly don't reflect them being "disappointed" in the film.

doctornick

Depending on how Future World ends up being conceptualized (I am actually for some sort of thematic shift to "Discoveryland" or similar), Tron seems like it would fit in better than GotG. I'm not sure the Shanghai coaster is necessarily all that great an option, but it would bring a thrill ride that would counter balance the other options in the park and probably be about as tolerated as much as any other IP option for Epcot purists -- though ironically making that entire half of FW into all height restricted attractions; would be nice if they could put something calmer into the old WoL space.

V_L_Raptor

Does the Tron Coaster have any connections to Epcot's theme other than having a futuristic aesthetic? MIGHT be able to live with the Tron Coaster. If done right.

Not really. Pretty, pretty lights and computer-somesuch, but it wouldn't be I/O and Julie by a long shot. One does not teach basic computer science at a roller coaster's pace (and no, that's not a challenge).

HMF

Not really. Pretty, pretty lights and computer-somesuch, but it wouldn't be I/O and Julie by a long shot. One does not teach basic computer science at a roller coaster's pace (and no, that's not a challenge).
I suppose they could use the queue to somehow connect it with the themes of Future World ala Test Track.

V_L_Raptor

I suppose they could use the queue to somehow connect it with the themes of Future World ala Test Track.

If the best you can hope for is a queue presence, then there's no point in having concern for the themes of Future World. It's like getting giddy at the EPCOT Center symbol being engraved into the turnstile gates while some drunk from F&W is ranting six feet away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom