Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

Travel Junkie

In today's Micechat Monday photo update they report that one of the ride profiles for Mission: BREAKOUT! has the doors opening at the top for that lovely view of Disneyland, and then Rocket Raccoon says "Disneyland! That's thematically inconsistent." and then your elevator drops away.

That's hysterical! And it makes me want to wait in today's three hour long line just to try and get that line for a good laugh.

I got that version on my first ride. I think i'm the only one in the vehicle that picked up on it. It's pretty funny. One of the things they got right with the ride is capitalize on the tone of the films.

Curious Constance

In today's Micechat Monday photo update they report that one of the ride profiles for Mission: BREAKOUT! has the doors opening at the top for that lovely view of Disneyland, and then Rocket Raccoon says "Disneyland! That's thematically inconsistent." and then your elevator drops away.

That's hysterical! And it makes me want to wait in today's three hour long line just to try and get that line for a good laugh.
Just think, you could possible have to wait in that line 6 times before you saw that version, which would be a total of 18 hours.

Magenta Panther

ToT was great attraction, but it was never the game changer for the Resort in terms of tone the way that MB is. There is something refreshing and different about this ride's aura from anything I've seen at DLR in recent memory, and I find it very alluring. MB breaks some traditions and pushes new boundaries for Disneyland with its rescue storyline, brash superhero characters, clever easter eggs, and chaotic dominating (some say ugly) building. I like this side of Disney and I want more of it please.

"Refreshing and different", as in "loud", "obnoxious", and "eyesore"?

Not to mention "pandering". I've mentioned this before, and I'll say it again: a haunted hotel is something that EVERYONE, across the globe, understands and identifies with. Hauntings are part of every culture's folklore. Even if someone from, say, Zimbabwe has no idea of who Rod Serling was, and never watched "The Twilight Zone", they could still understand and enjoy the Tower of Terror. Because of its haunted theme, it has universal appeal, and its excellent execution guarantees its relevancy.

"Guardians", on the other hand, is based solely on an off-studio purchased IP, and is only relevant in large part to those who have seen and enjoyed the movies. And maybe to those who feel: "Hurr, hurr, ride is loud and bouncy! Score!" It will be popular as long as the movies are popular. Therefore, the moment it opened, its eventual irrelevancy is guaranteed.

The Tower of Terror WAS a game-changer in that it reinforced the stellar reputation of Imagineering. I have visited a lot of theme parks in the States. Some of the non-Disney parks are great and have cool thrill rides with great theming. But when I first rode the Tower of Terror in WDW, I was amazed. Never had I ridden a ride as astounding as that. When the elevator stops in the hotel hallway, and it turns into a star field, and the picture at the end of the hallway detaches, floats, turns into the picture in the TZ credits and then shatters...holy crap. And when the vibrating vertical light appears in front of you, separates and the elevator falls...oh my god. I never even imagined anything like that in a ride in any park. It's still amazing to me. Because of its brilliant execution, I think WDW's Tower, at least, should be as untouchable as Haunted Mansion. It's that good.

But the Marvel crowd gotta get their rides and buy raccoon shirts, I guess. Say, maybe the current "Imagineers" could use the old Davy Crockett pattern and make Rocket the Raccoon hats. You know, overlay them like they did DCA's poor Tower. I wouldn't put it past them.

No Name

I actually think the Figment, Harold, Alien Encounter stuff, etc. in the queue works well, because it reinforces the idea that we are in the same universe as the Collector now. Unlike at the theater, where we simply watch, on this ride, we're supposed to be involved. So I may not care that he captured the Guardians, but if he had the audacity to capture Figment, you bet I'll help Rocket break them all out.

If the Collector stole your wedding ring, would you be more invested in the story? Yes.
In a similar way, these Easter eggs may make theme park fans (especially the kind who weren't happy about this project) more invested in the story.

So I think they serve a valuable purpose.

Yeah, that's hysterical, and I love it! That kind of line fits the Guardians of the Galaxy, and the tone of the films, very well.

lazyboy97o

I actually think the Figment, Harold, Alien Encounter stuff, etc. in the queue works well, because it reinforces the idea that we are in the same universe as the Collector now. Unlike at the theater, where we simply watch, on this ride, we're supposed to be involved. So I may not care that he captured the Guardians, but if he had the audacity to capture Figment, you bet I'll help Rocket break them all out.

If the Collector stole your wedding ring, would you be more invested in the story? Yes.
In a similar way, these Easter eggs may make theme park fans (especially the kind who weren't happy about this project) more invested in the story.

So I think they serve a valuable purpose.
But this is a universe that includes DisneyParks. So what are Harold and Figment?

TP2000

The idea that you are helping prisoners escape isn't a story everyone understands?

I got that just from the lobby area where they show the Guardians all locked up and talking about how the raccoon will get them out somehow. By the time I got into the office that concept that a jailbreak was imminent was well-established, and then the raccoon shows up and explains it thoroughly yet very simply, with a funny PowerPoint presentation even.

I've never seen the movies, and it was all quite clear. I was impressed actually with how succinctly and clearly the simple plot was explained and laid out for folks. So often a pre-show for a Disney ride is just noise and unintelligible blah-blah-blah and pointless and/or obscure plot development. This Guardians ride is different, and the pre-show and ride itself work extremely well together.

I imagine if I'd seen the movie and knew the characters before I stepped foot in the door, it would be even better.

No Name

But this is a universe that includes DisneyParks. So what are Harold and Figment?

Well, they're popular creatures in the theme park world. Since he plopped his tower in DCA and wants to impress us theme park guests, he made sure to beef up his collection with some popular theme park characters.

I think it's just as good to ask: In a universe that includes DisneyParks, what are the Guardians of the Galaxy?

He's inviting us to see his collection, so I'd say Guardians of the Galaxy are simply popular characters that people are interested in seeing. They weren't captured for being heroes or villains, or naughty to the Collector, or for any reasons that pertain to their own universe. They were captured because they're popular among us earthlings.

I find that whole premise kind of funny... it's like a ride that admits its there to capitalize on a popular IP.

Of course, that's just how I see it. If you disagree, I'd be glad to hear how so.

lazyboy97o

Well, they're popular creatures in the theme park world. Since he plopped his tower in DCA and wants to impress us theme park guests, he made sure to beef up his collection with some popular theme park characters.

The better question, in my opinion, is this. In a universe that includes DisneyParks, what are the Guardians of the Galaxy?

He's inviting us to see his collection, so I'd say Guardians of the Galaxy are simply popular characters that people are interested in seeing. They weren't captured for being heroes or villains, or naughty to the Collector, or for any reasons that pertain to their own universe. They were captured because they're popular characters among us earthlings.

I find that whole premise kind of funny... it's like a ride that admits its there to capitalize on a popular IP.

Of course, that's just how I see it. If you disagree, I'd be glad to hear how so.
That makes even less sense and is exactly what is meant by self-referential nonsense. Youre in-universe explanation is outside of your universe. You're just begging the same question of how these things that we know also exist. Does this mean Figment is based on a real creature? If the Collector knows that the Guardians are pop culture here, how are they known here in the first place since they are actually real?

Cesar R M

But he doesn't blast it. We see it, it shuts down and then sparks. There's no laser blast or impact or anything. The scene is also over so quickly that you don't have a chance to see the story unfold.

And I'm just giving the feedback of a parkgoer, someone not invested enough to be on Disney boards and know the ride inside and out before boarding. She thought the queue was cool, but the ride was just channel surfing past random scenes with no sense of story or structure.

Having ridden today, her arguments are sound. The ride seems to rush through the story and we're completely inconsequential to their story after we sneak Rocket into the shaft. It was fun, but definately felt like a layover rather than full attraction.
EMP gun or something could be... Rocket is supposed to be a master demolition expert, weapon expert and tactician.
You're nitpicking now.

zooey

That makes even less sense and is exactly what is meant by self-referential nonsense. Youre in-universe explanation is outside of your universe. You're just begging the same question of how these things that we know also exist. Does this mean Figment is based on a real creature? If the Collector knows that the Guardians are pop culture here, how are they known here in the first place since they are actually real?
They're just Easter eggs and not featured in any major way. Easter eggs are everywhere at Disneyland even if they're not thematically consistent or might contradict something else. It's just a small detail. I've said it before not sure if it was this thread but the concept of every single thing working together seamlessly is fairly new to theme parks. There have always been concessions to reality and small diversions for the sake of fun and inside references.

lazyboy97o

They're just Easter eggs and not featured in any major way. Easter eggs are everywhere at Disneyland even if they're not thematically consistent or might contradict something else. It's just a small detail. I've said it before not sure if it was this thread but the concept of every single thing working together seamlessly is fairly new to theme parks. There have always been concessions to ready and small diversions for the sake of fun.
They're not details, as a detail supports and reinforces the story. These "Easter eggs" all would have worked better without the conculuted story setting the attraction inside the park itself. So it is ridiculous to say issues such as consistency of narrative are unimportant when they are the result of trying too hard to address such issues and the very same creative lead is also opening up a land that blew through $1 billion to do just that.

zooey

They're not details, as a detail supports and reinforces the story. These "Easter eggs" all would have worked better without the conculuted story setting the attraction inside the park itself. So it is ridiculous to say issues such as consistency of narrative are unimportant when they are the result of trying too hard to address such issues and the very same creative lead is also opening up a land that blew through $1 billion to do just that.
There are convoluted stories everywhere at Disney parks though. Why is GOTG so particularly egregious.

zooey

The backstory undermines exactly what it is supposed to fix, the inconsistencies that "don't matter."
I need more elaboration to understand. It is supposed to fix its own inconsistencies or fix inconsistencies that existed before as it was ToT?
Because it is definitely convoluted but I don't know that it is inconsistent with itself as it is established. Apparently Rohde says that they are yet going to add pavement scorching around the building to reinforce that it landed there from another dimension or something like that. Story wise it's all quite clear what's happening and who everyone is and all that. Rocket explains everything you need to know as much as Serling did in his video.
If you're saying that it didn't fix but worsened inconsistencies in how it connects with the park holistically as a land then totally agree... for now. I think there are plans to completely overhaul how it functions as a placemaking land.

lazyboy97o

I need more elaboration to understand. It is supposed to fix its own inconsistencies or fix inconsistencies that existed before as it was ToT?
Because it is definitely convoluted but I don't know that it is inconsistent with itself as it is established. Apparently Rohde says that they are yet going to add pavement scorching around the building to reinforce that it landed there from another dimension or something like that. Story wise it's all quite clear what's happening and who everyone is and all that. Rocket explains everything you need to know as much as Serling did in his video.
If you're saying that it didn't fix but worsened inconsistencies in how it connects with the park holistically as a land then totally agree... for now. I think there are plans to completely overhaul how it functions as a placemaking land.
The backstory of taking place at the Disneyland Resort contradicts things like Harold and Figment in the queue or the joke about seeing Disneyland. If such narrative consistencies do not matter, then there is no reason for that backstory to exist. Adding a Marvel land doesn't fix those issues unless it removes that story, which again makes it pointless.

No Name

Does this mean Figment is based on a real creature?

I've rethough it. If Star Lord knows the movie Mary Poppins, then surely the Collector could know the theme park Epcot and the character Figment. So in the Marvel universe, Figment is a fictional character, just like he is in ours. And so the Collector isn't displaying a real purple dragon, but an animatronic from the ride. I guess that answers your question.

So the Guardians and other Marvel characters are real, but Figment and Harold are not.

My brain hurts. After all, they're just easter eggs... I think they serve a purpose, but I agree they don't fully make sense. Nobody cared about every aspect making sense before this decade.

Last edited:

zooey

I've rethough it. If Star Lord knows the movie Mary Poppins, then surely the Collector could know the theme park Epcot and the character Figment. So in the Marvel universe, Figment is a fictional character, just like he is in ours. And so the Collector isn't displaying a real purple dragon, but an animatronic from the ride. I guess that answers your question.

So the Guardians and other Marvel characters are real, but Figment and Harold are not.

My brain hurts. After all, they're just easter eggs... I think they serve a purpose, but I agree they don't fully make sense. Nobody cared about every aspect making sense before this decade.
I really don't think Easter eggs have to make sense. They're there for fan service and that's it. Otherwise someone is going to have to figure out how Madame Leota fits into the Star Wars universe because she can be seen in some luggage in Star Tours, etc etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom