Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

V_L_Raptor

A quick thought: saw a previous post comparing Guardians and Avatar to Peter Pan and Alice in terms of "properties with a single film that have stood the test of time"...I'm not really sure how we can say that.

Alice and Pan have roots that go much further back, both in the larger cultural/literary mileau and more specifically in the history of Disney as a company. Also, neither is expected to prop up an entire area themed only around itself.

While Guardians could prove to have some staying power, I'm hard pressed to see where Avatar does. Yes, it was a blockbuster during its theatrical run, but since then has not really had a notable place in pop cultural consciousness; no quotes everybody knows, no diehard fanbase, etc. Cameron may want to make numerous sequels, and maybe they'll be good, but there certainly isn't any high public demand for them.

This does not disqualify Avatar Land from being good, of course, but the comparison doesn't feel apples to apples.

About the only major staying power I can think of for Avatar is as a running gag in Universal's Bill and Ted HHN sketch. Other than that, it's a monument to Cameron's vanity.

jt04

You don't know the difference between a detention pond and a retention pond, do you?

Actually I do. I looked it up just to be sure. Also, there is a great editorial in the Miami Herald yesterday pertaining to the subject BTW. You should find it.

Daveeeeed

I think it's way to early to determine the overall success and demand. Yesterday by all accounts every park was packed. Imagination was even at a half hour wait. By later in the day the park - and Avland - had calmed down.

A month, 3 months, six months will be a better barometer. Or there again it could be the park the land is situated in that dictates the need and other similar options that may or may not be available.

But I think we're in the wrong thread.
Spaceship Earth hit 70 today. Parks are jamming!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom