Closing of Tower of Terror (WDW)

TP2000

Yeah, their approach to Marvel in the parks has been puzzling. We are coming up on the 8th anniversary of the purchase but there still doesn't seem to be a clear strategy for utilizing it in the parks, whereas it's firing on all cylinders in other forms of media.

That's a valid argument. Yet an argument that is aimed more at 2010 - 2015 rather than now, as things seem to have dramatically changed since Chapek took over for Staggs 18 months ago.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! is a giant hit, and I like it a lot more than DCA's Tower of Terror. This weird manhole cover Avengers hatch thing showed up in the planter next to the Guardians queue this weekend, and D23 Expo will be held right across the street in six weeks.

Of course, those who have been reading Miceage Updates for the last two years know WDI and TDA have been planning out a giant Avengers mega-coaster in the empty parking lot behind Mission: BREAKOUT!, but for those who don't follow Miceage Updates on Micechat, this would be an exciting hint that would be news to them.

avengers-hatch-at-disney-california-adventure-700x394.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That's a valid argument. Yet an argument that is aimed more at 2010 - 2015 rather than now, as things seem to have dramatically changed since Chapek took over for Staggs 18 months ago.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! is a giant hit, and I like it a lot more than DCA's Tower of Terror. This weird manhole cover Avengers hatch thing showed up in the planter next to the Guardians queue this weekend, and D23 Expo will be held right across the street in six weeks.

Of course, those who have been reading Miceage Updates for the last two years know WDI and TDA have been planning out a giant Avengers mega-coaster in the empty parking lot behind Mission: BREAKOUT!, but for those who don't follow Miceage Updates on Micechat, this would be an exciting hint that would be news to them.

avengers-hatch-at-disney-california-adventure-700x394.jpg

We will have to see how that plays out. After 7 years of owning Marvel and some random content in DL, they could have announced Mission Breakout and an entire Marvel land to go with it, but they didn't. I have little doubt it's coming, but I would have expected it to be underway by now.

HMF

And this is coming from the same guy that hated any modern Disney animated movie.:facepalm:
I don't hate everything Disney puts out. Pixar is fine, Huge Star Wars fan. I don' like what WDAS is doing because I want them to return to Hand-drawn Animation full-time.

doctornick

Imagine if they built something new for it instead.

Martin, are there any rumblings that a new build for GotG is even possible for WDW? With the UoE rumors seemingly up in the air, I wonder if anyone in charge has come to their senses and want to see the IP get a purposely designed attraction; especially since it could be a solid start to an overall Marvel area at DHS (yes, with few options for themes, but GotG and Dr. Strange -- and even Big Hero 6 -- seem like a reasonable start).

I still wonder if SHIELD could be used in WDW because if so that could be a good framing devise for a land. Also could be a good framework for an interactive game (which DHS does not have unlike the other parks) or an interactive land experience like the one planned for Star Wars.

doctornick

I haven't followed DCA rumors that closely, but I thought the latest plans were a Captain America themed coaster and that they were going to use the backlot area for space. If the plans have shifted towards the parking next to Mission Breakout, then that sounds like a good thing to me as it would enable a more cohesive Marvel area in DCA. I remember there was talk of even removing some of It's a Bug's Land to accommodate Marvel content and I don't think that would be much of a loss for DCA.

That would still leave the backlot area with plenty of space -- combined with the soon to be obsolete shuttle stops -- for a future development.

TP2000

I haven't followed DCA rumors that closely, but I thought the latest plans were a Captain America themed coaster and that they were going to use the backlot area for space. If the plans have shifted towards the parking next to Mission Breakout, then that sounds like a good thing to me as it would enable a more cohesive Marvel area in DCA. I remember there was talk of even removing some of It's a Bug's Land to accommodate Marvel content and I don't think that would be much of a loss for DCA.

That would still leave the backlot area with plenty of space -- combined with the soon to be obsolete shuttle stops -- for a future development.

That's pretty much it; the big parking lout south of Guardians (formerly Tower of Terror) becomes Marvel Land which is about 10 acres. The area north of there, the current Backlot, gets combined with the soon-to-be-unused shuttle drop offs to expand DCA's acreage by another 8 or 10 acres.

What this means for WDW is unknown, because Disneyland can use a lot more Marvel characters and thus themes than WDW can.

Matthew

I could care less about how much $$$$$$$ it generates.

So a business buying another business to make money.... which it does made buying it a dumb move?

You said it was a dumb move to buy marvel and I still haven't really seen a compelling argument why?

Disney is about more than the parks... if it was just about the theme park business then yes it's a bad move as they can't use the IP in their busiest parks... but take into account the entire business and it's a resoundingly good buy for the company.

Movielover

That would be valid when they were churning new original stuff. Now its sequel after sequel.
Cant wait for Pirates XXVII Double Bugaloo Mamba Jamba Deluxe Special Edition Redux.

Not everything they have in the works are sequels. There's plenty of new ideas being produced right now, and as of now another Pirates film has not been announced. Also considering this Pirates was the first in 6 years, it's not like they are just churning these out. Granted there's a few too many "live action remakes" for my taste but as long as their original stuff keeps up I'm good.

I could care less about how much $$$$$$$ it generates.

But should you really? I mean as soon as the proverbial "golden goose" stops bringing in the money would they sell off Marvel? Obviously this is a long way down the road and like every studio they will milk it dry but this is the way to get to a Marvel free Disney which you, with all due respect, seem to lean towards.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Martin, are there any rumblings that a new build for GotG is even possible for WDW? .
Not at the moment that I know of.

As of recently there's discussion about anything at all substantial using that IP in WDW. I'm not saying this has or will change plans for Energy, but it has come up.

Last edited:

Movielover

Martin, are there any rumblings that a new build for GotG is even possible for WDW?

Where ever Disney does decide to put Guardians in the Florida parks it will have to be a completely different experience from DCA since that exact ride system is not found in Florida. Even if they do choose Florida's Tower (horrible idea) they would have to re work the Guardian's experience simply due to the different ride system in Florida's Tower.

HMF

So a business buying another business to make money.... which it does made buying it a dumb move?
Personally I feel too few corporations own WAY too many things. I would like to see legislation to end these corporate monopolies. A company can only grow so much until the strain becomes too much and the gravy train collapses.

jt04

Hey, if they rumor It's a Bug's Land, maybe they could ship those rides to DHS or DAK. I know they are unremarkable flat rides, but I think either of those parks could benefit from them for additional capacity (especially at DAK if they want to get rid of Dinorama).

Please no more carnival rides in the parks. Disney Springs?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom