Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

Magenta Panther

Sorry, @jt04 — Rat is one of WDI's lesser trackless attractions. It's very much like Uni's screen-based rides and not at all like Tokyo's Hunny Hunt or Hong Kong's Mansion. I'd rather see something else come to Epcot, and I'd like to keep Impressions because if you've ever been to France, that movie is a a stunning travelogue of the country's landscape, and triggers some wonderful memories.

Now if we're talking about trackless technology, the Great Mickey Ride should be incredible, even though we'll lose the GMR.

Yay, Mickey! But *sob* Great Movie Ride...

As for the Rat attraction in France, I have seen the videos of it. And...I dunno, the ride doesn't impress me. Maybe because, while I liked the Ratatouille film, there's nothing in it I want to experience as a ride. But to each his own.

The Empress Lilly

A better statement would be "The sooner something *other than* Ratatouille is confirmed, the better."

Just rode Ratatouille a few weeks ago. Honestly, it's not very good at all. The ride has very little soul, and is basically a trackless vehicle driving through a movie theater. And I *am* a fan of the movie, and I *am* a fan of The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man. This should have been an easy like for me, but it's not even close.
Indeed. I too love both Rat the movie and Spiderman the ride, both some of my favourites in their genre. Whereas Rat the ride is a bit tame and lacklustre. A good ride still, but not one that begs to be ported.

I think Rat's popularity owes a great deal to, firstly, being one of the few large scale additions in an entire resort in forever. Secondly, having the only good looking land in an entire park. Thirdly, being the only motion vehicle + screen in the entire theme park area, save for Star Tours.

How many motion vehicle in front of screen rides aren't there in Orlando?

Movielover

My big question for the people who have ridden Rat is what type of motion do you feel on the ride? Watching on-ride videos I can't help but think of the Amazing Adventures of Spider-man since that's a ride I have ridden and has a similar idea, but I know it's a completely different ride carriage. It just seems to me that there are several moments in the ride, like when you fall through the glass roof into the restaurant, that seem really motionless. I know Rat is not supposed to be anywhere near as intense as Spider-Man but I enjoy that extra level of motion that the Uni EMV has, it really adds to the experience much like the CTX Rovers.

BrianLo

My big question for the people who have ridden Rat is what type of motion do you feel on the ride? Watching on-ride videos I can't help but think of the Amazing Adventures of Spider-man since that's a ride I have ridden and has a similar idea, but I know it's a completely different ride carriage. It just seems to me that there are several moments in the ride, like when you fall through the glass roof into the restaurant, that seem really motionless. I know Rat is not supposed to be anywhere near as intense as Spider-Man but I enjoy that extra level of motion that the Uni EMV has, it really adds to the experience much like the CTX Rovers.

There is no motion base, strictly on screen. That surprised me too and was a little lacking. The other being the floor to screen integration on a couple of the scenes.

It's an ok ride. If it strictly is meant to be something new, already through R&D and ready to go for Epcot to deal with the international gateway influx, it will be adequate. As someone else said it's definitely the weakest trackless dark ride, even if its an E ticket in scope and Pooh more like a D.

Technically speaking though it's better than anything WDW has done in the last decade if this were still May 26th. So I expect people will still really like it.

WDW1974

There is no motion base, strictly on screen. That surprised me too and was a little lacking. The other being the floor to screen integration on a couple of the scenes.

It's an ok ride. If it strictly is meant to be something new, already through R&D and ready to go for Epcot to deal with the international gateway influx, it will be adequate. As someone else said it's definitely the weakest trackless dark ride, even if its an E ticket in scope and Pooh more like a D.

Technically speaking though it's better than anything WDW has done in the last decade if this were still May 26th. So I expect people will still really like it.

For WDW, the Rat Ride is akin to a mega-E Ticket. Or was, depending on whether FoP is truly just a great ride or a game-changer. Most people I know say the former, not the latter.

I will be commenting on this ride on my thread later this week, but I think it will be beloved in FL as it is in Paris. The biggest issue with it is held by the .05% of fans who visit multiple international parks and compare it to HKDL's Mystic Manor and TDL's Pooh's Hunny Hunt. It is only a fair comparison with them and industry insiders. Rat is a terrific ride on its own ...now, it doesn't belong in EPCOT but ...

Kman101

FOP isn't a game changer. It's a well done simulator and very much immerses you. I don't think I overpraise much but I was really wowed by that and I'm not a big fan of simulators overall. I like Soarin' but it's usually not a repeat ride for me. People are judging Pandora on whether it's a Potter swatter. It's too late for that. It's a well done land and a much needed addition to AK. River Journey ... well. It's pretty inside. It at least covers the ceilings unlike Mermaid. Screens are mostly well integrated where used. It could have been a little more than it is but it's nice.

Anyway ... Rat doesn't seem to be the best use of trackless. I'm sure it will be fun and guests will eat it up. It doesn't belong in Epcot but ... at least it fits in a way where we can justify it with the toon invasion. I'd rather the Rat than Beauty and the Beast. At least it isn't a princess ride. And while I'm not against Rat coming, I've still agreed that it doesn't belong. But I think if it weren't a movie and they came up with it on it's own, as if it was specially designed for the park, people wouldn't argue as much against it. Just my opinion ...

flyerjab

For WDW, the Rat Ride is akin to a mega-E Ticket. Or was, depending on whether FoP is truly just a great ride or a game-changer. Most people I know say the former, not the latter.

I will be commenting on this ride on my thread later this week, but I think it will be beloved in FL as it is in Paris. The biggest issue with it is held by the .05% of fans who visit multiple international parks and compare it to HKDL's Mystic Manor and TDL's Pooh's Hunny Hunt. It is only a fair comparison with them and industry insiders. Rat is a terrific ride on its own ...now, it doesn't belong in EPCOT but ...

I rode FoP on three separate trips to Pandora last week. For me, it is a game-changer. Where ever we walked in that expansion during our AP and 2 DVC previews, EVERYONE was drooling over that ride.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I rode FoP on three separate trips to Pandora last week. For me, it is a game-changer. Where ever we walked in that expansion during our AP and 2 DVC previews, EVERYONE was drooling over that ride.

A ride can be great without being a game changer. A game changer is something that will cause a significant shift in what is done in the future. I don't see anything in FoP (immersive queue, extensive pre-show, 3D, screen based simulator) that isn't already being done by Disney and other theme parks. It appears to be a great ride (I haven't ridden it yet) but I don't see anything in it that will lead to changes in the way future rides are done.

flyerjab

A ride can be great without being a game changer. A game changer is something that will cause a significant shift in what is done in the future. I don't see anything in FoP (immersive queue, extensive pre-show, 3D, screen based simulator) that isn't already being done by Disney and other theme parks. It appears to be a great ride (I haven't ridden it yet) but I don't see anything in it that will lead to changes in the way future rides are done.

The most important part of what I wrote was the "for me" comment. ;)

We all look to rides for different reasons and have different expectations from them. If the point of the term game-changer was from a technical point of view only, then perhaps your point above is valid I suppose. There is nothing truly "unique" from a technological angle to say that FoP is a brand new type of ride (i.e., not a simulator but something else like a Pandora's Box ride mechanism). I know that there are posters in the threads that bring up FJ in UNI and say that it is the best ride in Orlando because it utilizes a kuka arm, allowing for a very unique ride experience. I am certain that there are people out there that will say "yes, in essence, FoP is a simulator, but it is one of the most up-to-date simulators in any theme park anywhere." Those people might go on to say that makes FoP a game-changing ride.

Or, maybe no other ride took all of the things you listed and combined them in such a way as Rohde and the Imagineers did to produce a ride like FoP. Perhaps FoP is way greater than the sum of its parts. Maybe everything you listed above, plus the aesthetics of the scenes that you fly through, and the musical score, produces something both visceral and emotional on a level that many people have never experienced before in a theme park ride. Having been in Windtraders on several occasions, watching people having just come off that ride, some people were moved from that experience. I find it hard to believe myself, especially considering the source material - but there you have it.

I find it to be game-changing because of the sensation you have while riding it. I have ridden many other simulators in Orlando. In my opinion, there are none that produce the exhilarating sensations I experienced when riding FoP. So yes, it is definitely a great ride as you stated. But the experience of that ride is a game changer, without question.

jt04

You can't possibly be serious. I know the months and years of EVERY single vacation I've been on (even outside of Disney), for the past 32 years I've been alive. Have you ever actually been?

Don't assume your life describes every other person's life.

No Name

Sorry if i offend someone but when you go to a Disney park you expect Disney stuff...
The concept of Epcot is far from Walt's vision anyway so why not keep the whole educational concept but add Disney here and there? I agree about Frozen (althoug i think its very well done), Arendelle is not Norway. On the other hand I think it would be cool to have a Mulan ride in China for example...
Don't worry,i'm ready for a lot of negative responses

So, in your opinion, "Disney stuff" is limited to characters from movies? That's truly sad, if not delusional.

After all, the characters in movies were created for those movies. Why can't the characters in rides be created for those rides? Do you see rides as being inferior to movies?

Technically speaking though it's better than anything WDW has done in the last decade if this were still May 26th.
Well that's certainly your opinion.

jt04

When was the last time you visited Pandora?

jt04

I haven't and I made that clear in the post. I don't have to ride the ride to feel that there is nothing in it that will radically change the way future theme park attractions will be developed, especially since a lot of the cool feature of the ride are things that are already being done.

Ummm, OK.....but.......oh, nevermind. You really should visit the place. Plus they have dragons.

Daveeeeed

That is not entirely true. The vehicle does tilt and vibrate, but it is far different from Spidey or Dinosaur. It's more like Winnie he Pooh at WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom